CT Is A Good State To Be From!

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Default CT Is A Good State To Be From!

Having moved from CT, I thought the article posted in the New York Post confirms what I already knew. For those who have or thinking of moving from CT, I think you'll find this article interesting.

CT is a good state to be from!!!

Connecticut is a tax hell, with one of the country’s highest state and local burdens.

Critics call for a proposal to phase out the state income tax “hare-brained” and “laughable.” They’re wrong. Taxes are no laughing matter. Connecticut had the nation’s fastest growing economy until it imposed an income tax in 1991 and subsequently hiked it four times. Now Connecticut ranks dead last in income growth, according to a Pew survey of the last decade.

The article also states home values are down 24% since 2007.

I left out names so this post doesn't become political. Let's hear it fro people who have moved from CT.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

We left Ct 20 years ago ...#1 Economically speaking the best decision we ever made
Talking with friends it gets worse with every election..
Even the out going governor is leaving the state

.Richard Blumenthal

Old 11-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I thought we had it bad in New Jersey.

I feel for all the people in CT. The good thing is I'm not feeling in their pockets like the people in charge. PC?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Another Ex Connecti TAX resident....What a train wreck that state is.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just got word they sold my CT house. It was on the market for 3 days. Now a 1 home owner....

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage

I forgot to mention that when I moved from NY to CT, They had every tax covered including a property tax on a car! The newer the car, the higher the property tax, so I drove an older model car.

"Are you kidding me"? Was my reaction.

I should have moved when I left a high paying job but I thought the real estate in NY was too expensive to move back to and I hate moving. I should have rented, DUH!

Then I saw TV, the rest is history!

Old 11-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

I still live in Connecticut. There are only two reasons why we'll be moving out of state in the next year:

1. Our employer-paid health insurance coverage ends in the late spring, and we can't afford to pay the premiums, AND the mortgage. With hubby out of work, we can't refinance our mortgage, so we'll be forced to sell our home.

2. We were planning on moving south in a couple of years anyway because he would have retired, if his department wasn't eliminated first. It has nothing to do with taxes. Our taxes are liveable and if hubby had been able to stay at his job for another 2 years, we'd be retiring with medical paid for into Medicare, in another 2-4 years. We'd be moving south because that's where hubby wants to live, not because of taxes in Connecticut.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage

Everyone has their reasons for moving. Losing a job with benefits is a big deal.

I didn't move to get away because of taxes but I came an saw TV. it's nice not to get hammered with taxes. I love TV and hate snow.

Moving to TV with much less tax, was a bonus!!!

It's also a better run state and you get much more bang for the buck! IMHO

Old 11-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I forgot to mention that when I moved from NY to CT, They had every tax covered including a property tax on a car! The newer the car, the higher the property tax, so I drove an older model car.

"Are you kidding me"? Was my reaction.

I should have moved when I left a high paying job but I thought the real estate in NY was too expensive to move back to and I hate moving. I should have rented, DUH!

Then I saw TV, the rest is history!
Glad you did Joe!!
Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I worked for over 20 years in Hartford, a once proud and thriving city. It's now on the brink of bankruptcy, very sad. Connecticut's leadership has followed in the footsteps of Illinois, another once proud state that is circulating around the toilet bowl. What is most unfortunate is that our country is slowly going down the same path with an unsubstainable deficit and associated level of debt. Us baby boomers were very fortunate to grow up and live in a very good time. That being said, I am very concerned that our children and grandchildren will not be so lucky.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

And I am very concerned about Florida. With the campaign promises, the plan to tax business, who leave when they do that, we will not be far behind. State income tax and business leaving is the beginning of the end here.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Gold member

Basically we left CT for three reasons:
1. Lower taxes
2. Warmer weather
3. Experience life in a new area

After being here over 10yrs I still get a kick out of the reaction of folks I meet golfing when we talk about our former states and I mention how we had to pay town property tax on our motor vehicles. The "You had to pay what" comments are priceless.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Have a friend who used to live in one of the tougher cities of CT. She lives in the Villages with her daughter. Lost her husband a year or so ago while they lived in the Villages.

She probably wanted to get to a saver, saner, and warmer area of the country after she retired.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Having moved from CT, I thought the article posted in the New York Post confirms what I already knew. For those who have or thinking of moving from CT, I think you'll find this article interesting.

CT is a good state to be from!!!

Connecticut is a tax hell, with one of the country’s highest state and local burdens.

Critics call for a proposal to phase out the state income tax “hare-brained” and “laughable.” They’re wrong. Taxes are no laughing matter. Connecticut had the nation’s fastest growing economy until it imposed an income tax in 1991 and subsequently hiked it four times. Now Connecticut ranks dead last in income growth, according to a Pew survey of the last decade.

The article also states home values are down 24% since 2007.

I left out names so this post doesn't become political. Let's hear it fro people who have moved from CT.
I doubt that it's any worse than The People's Republic of Taxachusetts. I'm so glad I'm no longer there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 AM
fw102807

New Hampshire was great, no income tax, no sales tax but the winters were long and brutal and it's still cheaper to live here. They are all great states to be from.
Closed Thread

Tags
state, tax, connecticut, article, income

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.