CVS to weigh workers

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=KeepingItReal;646286]Great post and glad you are doing well as my niece had the same surgery and is also doing well. I totally agree that in a lot of cases it does amount to prejudice and the folks that struggle with it are suffering enough already without being the focus of the entire country and especially those so self-righteous that are condemning them. We don't blame cancer patients for getting cancer and scorn them nor those that get early onset Alzheimers in their 30-40s and we should not blame those that struggle with weight issues. We can say lifestyle is the reason for any illness or problem and scorn those that are unfortunate enought to experience a problem, but wait until they start firing people of a certain age, not that they don't now, just because they can hire younger, leaner, people to replace them that are a lot further away from being in the age bracket where health issues start happening. Unfortuntely we all age no matter how well we take care of ourselves and age will bring health issues never experienced before no matter what we do."END of QUOTE.

Your post is excellent and very compassionate and very fair and very thought provoking...

It gets my best post of the entire day award. Since Swimdawg has somehow left the building and doesn't award her awards anymore.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
That's NOT progress!!! That's a result of the new Affordable Healthcare Law!!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Sage
Smile

Good for CVS! I love it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Sage
Quote:
That's NOT progress!!! That's a result of the new Affordable Healthcare Law!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
On what do you base that conclusion?
It's not mentioned in the original article presented to us.
If you have specific info to support your statement, please cite source.
The poster can't cite a source since the Affordable Care Act hasn't started yet and doesn't start until 2014. The exchanges haven't even been made available at this time.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Default Cvs

cvs is requiring workers who use company health insurance to report their weight, and body fat and glucose levels to the insurer - or pay a $600 a year penalty.
If workers don't sign up, their medical coverage will jump by $50 a month.

CVS spokesperson Michael D'angelis said this will help manage health associated costs.

Patient Privacy Rights founder Dr. Deborah Peet added that mounting health care costs have made these polices increasingly popular.

Rising health care costs are killing the economy and businesses are terrified. Employers are desperate to get rid of workers who have costly health conditions , like obesity and diabetes. More people will lose their jobs as the "affordable healthcare" kicks in and businesses are just starting to brace for what is to come. You don't think "out of the blue" "all of a sudden" a drugstore is concerned with your weight?? We're not talking a weight loss business here keeping track of their employees.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
cvs is requiring workers who use company health insurance to report their weight, and body fat and glucose levels to the insurer - or pay a $600 a year penalty.
If workers don't sign up, their medical coverage will jump by $50 a month.

CVS spokesperson Michael D'angelis said this will help manage health associated costs.

Patient Privacy Rights founder Dr. Deborah Peet added that mounting health care costs have made these polices increasingly popular.

Rising health care costs are killing the economy and businesses are terrified. Employers are desperate to get rid of workers who have costly health conditions , like obesity and diabetes. More people will lose their jobs as the "affordable healthcare" kicks in and businesses are just starting to brace for what is to come. You don't think "out of the blue" "all of a sudden" a drugstore is concerned with your weight?? We're not talking a weight loss business here keeping track of their employees.
Heartnsoul. That is a very logical explanation.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-22-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM

I sorry I was off on the facts and please note the lost in productivity by employees. In 2011 the total economic cost of overweight and obesity in the United States is $270 billion per year while the cost in Canada is about $30 billion a year, a new study shows. The $300 billion total cost in the United States and Canada is the result of: increased need for medical care ($127 billion); loss of worker productivity due to higher rates of death ($49 billion); loss of productivity due to disability of active workers ($43 billion); and loss of productivity due to total disability ($72 billion), said the Society of Actuaries (SOA). An SOA online survey of 1,000 adults found that 83% would be willing to follow a healthy lifestyle program if they received incentives from their health insurance plan.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Another Sobering Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag460 View Post
I sorry I was off on the facts and please note the lost in productivity by employees. In 2011 the total economic cost of overweight and obesity in the United States is $270 billion per year while the cost in Canada is about $30 billion a year, a new study shows. The $300 billion total cost in the United States and Canada is the result of: increased need for medical care ($127 billion); loss of worker productivity due to higher rates of death ($49 billion); loss of productivity due to disability of active workers ($43 billion); and loss of productivity due to total disability ($72 billion), said the Society of Actuaries (SOA). An SOA online survey of 1,000 adults found that 83% would be willing to follow a healthy lifestyle program if they received incentives from their health insurance plan.

Not sure what value they put on lives lost to being hit by drunk drivers but we all pay these costs as well.

CDC: Alcohol Abuse Costs U.S. $224 Billion a Year Does not include Canada.

By Maggie Fox
Updated:
October 17, 2011 | 2:13 p.m.

People who drink too much cost the U.S. economy $223.5 billion a year, and governments pay more than 60 percent of their health care costs, federal health experts reported on Monday.
Alcohol abuse kills 79,000 people a year, the report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found.
Most of the costs came from binge drinking, which the CDC defines as four or more drinks per occasion for a woman, and five or more drinks per occasion for a man.
“It is striking that over three-quarters of the cost of excessive alcohol consumption is due to binge drinking, which is reported by about 15 percent of U.S. adults,” the CDC’s Dr. Robert Brewer said in a statement. “Fortunately, there are a number of effective public health strategies that communities can use to reduce binge drinking and related harms, such as increasing the price of alcohol and reducing alcohol outlet density.”
Writing in the November 2011 issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, the CDC team, working with the consultant firm The Lewin Group, said they analyzed national data from several national studies to report on the costs of alcohol overuse in 2006, the latest year for which complete data was available.
They found most of the costs—72 percent—came from lost workplace productivity. Another 11 percent came from direct health costs, 9 percent could be attributed to law enforcement expenses, and 6 percent to costs from motor vehicle accidents.

Tobacco-Related Monetary Costs in the USA
Total annual public and private health care expenditures caused by smoking: $96 billion
-Annual Federal and state government smoking-caused Medicaid payments: $30.9 billion
[Federal share: $17.6 billion per year. States’ share: $13.3 billion]
-Federal government smoking-caused Medicare expenditures each year: $27.4 billion
-Other federal government tobacco-caused health care costs (e.g. through VA health care): $9.6 billion
Annual health care expenditures solely from secondhand smoke exposure: $4.98 billion
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag460 View Post

We have friends who live in Germany and I can vouch for the fact that what happens when a country has socialized medicine compared to what those of us who have worked and positioned ourselves and paid for good private health insurance all these years are used too, to me anyway is frightening.

I personally know a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer who lived in The Netherlands and she had to wait for treatment...for some time. I can't remember just how long. Sweetie stayed with the company he worked for for fifty years partially because one of the benefits was good insurance.

Now all things are being thrown up in the air. I know it sounds like me, me, and us, us, but we planned on being protected by this insurance that has always done so and I am confused and worried and want to point fingers at someone.

I am terribly sorry moderators, I am afraid what I just typed is political.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-22-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Sure sounds like thousands, maybe millions more will lose their jobs if the requirement is now to be a certain weight. If a cashier who is 200 lbs can stand behind the register at CVS for 7 hrs, then she should be able to. Let's not judge people by their weight but by their ability to perform their job. Imagine all those who will be let go if "weight" comes into the equation. Of course more jobs will be lost as businesses are required to cut their staff to under 50 employees so they don't have to offer coverage. And we wonder why small businesses aren't opening. And our kids, who are barely making it, will be penalized if they CAN'T afford to buy insurance. Its going to be interesting watching the new "affordable healthcare" come into play now. CVS will be the first of many more to come as businesses get frightened about how to even stay afloat.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Yet another reason for single payer.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
A strong genetic component should not give license to eat everything you desire (or stuff your face as a previous poster had suggested) not any more than a family history of alcoholism should allow you to drink anything you want "because it is inevitable". I'd be a rich woman if I had $10 for every patient that told me "I'm a diabetic cuz my family was or I have high blood pressure because my family all have it". It is because they are too fat or overweight. I have ALL those problems in my genetics and I try to keep myself in decent shape and weight. NO EXCUSES.
As far a CVS, what do you think the company looses in lost revenues from these weight related health problems? Think about it - if you owned a business and had the choice of hiring someone overweight (who has all sort of potential health problems) or one of average weight who is less likely to need time off or incur lots of medical expenses - which would you hire? Time is money when you own a business. How do you deal with absences due to poor health. Who takes their place? Does production stop? Businesses are so lean these days that there are not extra bodies to take over someone else's job. BESIDES THE FACT THAT PEOPLE WON'T BE A HEALTHY WEIGHT UNLESS THEY HAVE TO. And thats a fact. Whether its me who keeps trim because of a "genetic predisposition" or the person who needs a job and can't keep one because they are too overweight.....it comes to the same conclusion........don't be fat or overweight.
WOW! You refer to "patients." If you are a nurse or Dr. I am appauled by your lack of empathy. Thank god I never had you as part of my health care. Obese people are the last minority that it is ok to discriminate against. Refuse to allow them to board an airplane, take away their insurance or have them pay big fines. That will really help won't it. You would not even think to do this to a Black or Hispanic person. Nor the disabled. Shame on you.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Sage

Obese people are not denied airline boarding. Sometimes they have to buy two tickets because they take up two seats.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
WOW! You refer to "patients." If you are a nurse or Dr. I am appauled by your lack of empathy. Thank god I never had you as part of my health care. Obese people are the last minority that it is ok to discriminate against. Refuse to allow them to board an airplane, take away their insurance or have them pay big fines. That will really help won't it. You would not even think to do this to a Black or Hispanic person. Nor the disabled. Shame on you.
People don't choose to be black or hispanic or disabled, but 99.9999999% of obese people are obese because of their own bad choices.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
People don't choose to be black or hispanic or disabled, but 99.9999999% of obese people are obese because of their own bad choices.
That's both ignorant and wrong. CDC Features - Obesity & Genetics

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.