Cyber Shills

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Cyber Shills

I was just reading an interesting article about Cyber Shills. Apparently its the latest sales marketing technique used on the internet whereby people are hired or reimbursed in some way to promote a product or service. They are very popular on message boards or chat rooms where someone will "talk up" a product or pretend they are using it, or post "likes" on Facebook, that sort of thing. The movement is based on psychology - studies have shown that social proof i.e. friends and colleagues have purchased a similar item, is an inducement for others to make the same purchase. And its turning into big business.

Just saying, people need to be aware that everything they read on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt. All those "likes" for a product may not be real, or the person posting them may have an agenda.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum member

Kinda like the gal's "French model", huh.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

Everyone has an opinion as well as an agenda.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Sage

"Uh, bon jour"
Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I was just reading an interesting article about Cyber Shills. Apparently its the latest sales marketing technique used on the internet whereby people are hired or reimbursed in some way to promote a product or service. They are very popular on message boards or chat rooms where someone will "talk up" a product or pretend they are using it, or post "likes" on Facebook, that sort of thing. The movement is based on psychology - studies have shown that social proof i.e. friends and colleagues have purchased a similar item, is an inducement for others to make the same purchase. And its turning into big business.

Just saying, people need to be aware that everything they read on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt. All those "likes" for a product may not be real, or the person posting them may have an agenda.
Absolutely true! Not too many years ago - before moving to The Villages - I was doing some of that myself. A certain website would allow people to write reviews of products ranging anywhere from tools to pet food. You would get paid cash depending on how many people would read your review over a 60 day time period. Depending on your BS level, you could make up to $50 per review and submit as many reviews as you wanted. Neat little sideline - but that website got sold and changed their payouts to points which were redeemable for things I did not want.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have a niece that does that too. I'm not sure that she gets paid per review, but gets coupons and discounts that really add up. Amazing what people trying to sell something will think of.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.