CyberAttack underway against the US

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2022, 07:27 AM
Default Thanks for telling us however this has been going on since computers were invented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Alert from the Government CISA:

The Department of Energy (DOE), the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the National Security Agency (NSA), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are releasing this joint Cybersecurity Advisory (CSA) to warn that certain advanced persistent threat (APT) actors have exhibited the capability to gain full system access to multiple industrial control system (ICS)/supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) devices, including:

Schneider Electric programmable logic controllers (PLCs),
OMRON Sysmac NEX PLCs, and
Open Platform Communications Unified Architecture (OPC UA) servers

Here is the entire alert: It has not yet been determined WHO is responsible for this, but the "general assumption" is it is Russia. If this in fact is happening, it is an act of war against the US.

APT Cyber Tools Targeting ICS/SCADA Devices | CISA
Cyber attacks? This has been going on since computers were invented. Thanks anyway
Old 04-16-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Alert from the Government CISA:

The Department of Energy (DOE), the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the National Security Agency (NSA), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are releasing this joint Cybersecurity Advisory (CSA) to warn that certain advanced persistent threat (APT) actors have exhibited the capability to gain full system access to multiple industrial control system (ICS)/supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) devices, including:

Schneider Electric programmable logic controllers (PLCs),
OMRON Sysmac NEX PLCs, and
Open Platform Communications Unified Architecture (OPC UA) servers

Here is the entire alert: It has not yet been determined WHO is responsible for this, but the "general assumption" is it is Russia. If this in fact is happening, it is an act of war against the US.

APT Cyber Tools Targeting ICS/SCADA Devices | CISA
Why not? Our president gave them a list. Another one of his brilliant moves and he was soooo proud of it!! You can't make this stuff up!!
Old 04-16-2022, 08:06 AM
Default How long

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Chromebooks can't get a virus and update automatically.
I also converted a 10 Y/O Dell laptop to Linux Mint and I don't worry about getting hacked.
So how long will those be working for you without electricity to charge the batteries?
Old 04-16-2022, 08:12 AM

This is not new news. These hackers have been trying for years.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtexasrn View Post
Why not? Our president gave them a list. Another one of his brilliant moves and he was soooo proud of it!! You can't make this stuff up!!
Careful, your going to get spanked from the mods making this political, but I do agree with you.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:36 AM

If hackers can mess with the power grid, they certainly can mess with your bullet proof computer. LOL
Old 04-16-2022, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That no one tried to hack anything on those specific days...
Okay, I confess, that was a bit tongue in cheek. As I am sure you know those are the days with no alert.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:41 AM

There will be no war. We will use our "global partners" to make it look like we are getting tough and taking action.
Happy Easter Everyone!
Old 04-16-2022, 08:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Chromebooks can't get a virus and update automatically.
I also converted a 10 Y/O Dell laptop to Linux Mint and I don't worry about getting hacked.
The Chromebook is the safest personal "computer", but still has 55 vulnerabilities.

However, the alert has NOTHING to do with personal computers. It is about companies with process control computers, power generation plants etc. The intent of the attack is/would be to shut down our infrastructure - imagine if the water supply shut down for a week, etc.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Platinum member

Well, I posted the alert as a public service, since I doubt many here keep up with CISA and cyber warfare. I am amazed that even here, people feel the need to be snarky, attack, etc.

I am still hopeful we can avoid war with Russia, but, if war comes a key component will be cyberwar. And we have NEVER fought a cyberwar before. Putin has demonstrated he is not opposed to inflicting civilian casualties to gain his goals.

The information is available. I am not saying it is going to happen, simply making people aware.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Well, I posted the alert as a public service, since I doubt many here keep up with CISA and cyber warfare. I am amazed that even here, people feel the need to be snarky, attack, etc.

I am still hopeful we can avoid war with Russia, but, if war comes a key component will be cyberwar. And we have NEVER fought a cyberwar before. Putin has demonstrated he is not opposed to inflicting civilian casualties to gain his goals.

The information is available. I am not saying it is going to happen, simply making people aware.

Unfortunately there's very little any of us can do about it, since our state has not been pro-active in supporting alternate methods of energy and self-reliance. All those dialysis offices that provide life-saving service to kidney patients - rely on the grid to keep their machines running. No grid, no life.

Meanwhile, in communities that emphasize alternative energy sources, they are able to sustain themselves for a week or more, if the power were to be cut off from the outside.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

most of the people on this thread can't be bothered to be informed unless it causes them some inconvience.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 04-16-2022, 09:08 AM
FLBeans

One big way, not the only way, to help yourself from a personal cyber attack is NEVER, EVER click on links that are sent or embedded in emails, texts and chat rooms like this... unless you know this person. You can always Google the subject. I even noticed in a forum that someone stating they had pics they took and wanted to share- said, “Here click on this link!” - I thought, Oh my, don’t!

Last edited by FLBeans; 04-16-2022 at 09:21 AM. Reason: To edit. Dah
Old 04-16-2022, 09:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
If hackers can mess with the power grid, they certainly can mess with your bullet proof computer. LOL
Yes funny - LOLOLOL.

Glad you got a chuckle. I guess you didn't bother to read the alert. It has NOTHING to do with hacking YOUR computer. The ONLY reason a foreign national would attack your computer would be to add it to a bot farm for a DOS or other attacks on more important targets. In fact, if you run windows there is a good chance your c computer has already been owned and is simply waiting to be put into action.

The alert is by our CISA and it says they are seeing a new custom code being tested against companies that are critical to our infrastructure - manufacturing, electrical grid, hospitals, etc, etc, etc.

The alert is for THOSE industries, to let them know to take steps to verify they are not infected and to take steps to guard against becoming infected.

As I said, we are on the verge of going to war with Russia, unless things change soon. And this alert shows that Russia (and others) are preparing to launch a cyber ware against us. There has never been a full scale cyber war - ever. We have no idea what the results will be. I hope we are prepared.

But, one thing I am fairly certain of, is a cyber war will not be funny.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBeans View Post
One big way, not the only way, to help yourself from a personal cyber attack is NEVER, EVER click on links that are sent or embedded in emails, texts and chat rooms like this... unless you know this person. You can always Google the subject. I even noticed in a forum that someone stating they had pics they took and wanted to share- said, “Here click on this link!” - I thought, Oh my, don’t!
Absolutely. That is even more important today, and with this alert. Since one of the tactics in a cyberwar, is to infect millions of personal computers silently. Place the virus and leave it dormant. Then when war is launched, the dormant virus is activated and your computer becomes an agent of the enemy.

So, you could say, it is every American's patriotic duty to practice safe computer usage - as you say, NEVER click on a link from anyone, even if it is from friends or family. Type the address of the link into your browser instead. Also, you should never open (read) emails from suspicious sources "From: wally_in_etheopia@myplace.com" or "Subject: You won a billion dollars". Hacking today is capable of planting a virus in your computer as a result of your simply reading a post or looking at a photo. And those emails from your children, might not be from your children (it is called spoofing, which means changing the From address to look like someone else) or it might be from your children but they might be infected.

Think of opening emails like having unprotected sex with a complete stranger that appears to be strung out on heroin...
Closed Thread

Tags
control, cybersecurity, system, agency, security

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.