D Day

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default D Day

As most of us in TV know, tomorrow is the anniversary of start of D Day, Battle of Normandy. 75 years ago tomorrow.

1. "our generation" knows its importance and the subject matter quite well.

2. Wonder the % of under 30's can answer that question.

3. I cannot watch the first 20 minutes of 'Saving Private Ryan' anymore. One reason is that my former Father-in-Law was on one of the first landing boats but it capsized 2 miles from the beach. He almost drowned but made it to another ship - then hit the beach after 4 hours or so, not in the first wave and made it out alive. He died at 94 a few years ago. Yes, the greatest Generation.

I sometimes ponder the "what if"... the Allied forces lost, and what our world would be like... We owe so much...
Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
As most of us in TV know, tomorrow is the anniversary of start of D Day, Battle of Normandy. 75 years ago tomorrow.

1. "our generation" knows its importance and the subject matter quite well.

2. Wonder the % of under 30's can answer that question.

3. I cannot watch the first 20 minutes of 'Saving Private Ryan' anymore. One reason is that my former Father-in-Law was on one of the first landing boats but it capsized 2 miles from the beach. He almost drowned but made it to another ship - then hit the beach after 4 hours or so, not in the first wave and made it out alive. He died at 94 a few years ago. Yes, the greatest Generation.

I sometimes ponder the "what if"... the Allied forces lost, and what our world would be like... We owe so much...
So very very much is owed.

I, like you have difficulty even thinking of the physical and emotional pain these men went through at a terrible time in history.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

I was sitting with my father (95 years old) yesterday watching a short news clip on TV about D Day. He is a WWI & Korean War Vet.

1/2 way thru the clip, he said............"Those are the real Hero's."

He sat in silence for a couple minutes after.

Very Blessed he came home.

(what are the odds......................i was born on june 6th)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

7 Clever Innovations Used on D-Day | Imperial War Museums

My sister-in-law's late father landed at Normandy around June 11, 1944. He went back with her and my brother around 2002.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
7 Clever Innovations Used on D-Day | Imperial War Museums

My sister-in-law's late father landed at Normandy around June 11, 1944. He went back with her and my brother around 2002.
Quite an emotional trip, I am sure. I have never met anyone who "went back" that was not extremely caught up in the sacrifice and tough spirit that took place there.

We shall never forget those folks
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

When you stop and actually realize that the Germans were sitting on the other side of the English Channel and the Allies knew it. I cannot imagine what went through their minds at that time. Those young men knew they had almost no chance of surviving and yet they went to save the world, and they did. I cannot imagine what the world would look like now if Germany had been able to overrun England.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Thumbs up

D-Day veteran beating Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift in the charts with World War II tribute 'Shores of Normandy' - ABC News

Jim Radford - The Shores of Normandy - YouTube

This is really work a look.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

As a small London kid, I watched and waved to the convoys heading for the coast. I did not understand at the time where they were going.
All I remember is the British troops threw us pennies, but the Yanks had CHOCOLATE!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage

appropriate today is this article discussing a speech Ike wrote ...

]"And that night in a drafty cottage, under the roar of wind and planes, Eisenhower penciled a note on a small pad in his tight, precise, hand that he would need to deliver if the invasion went wrong.

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops," Eisenhower wrote. "My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

It's telling to see today where Eisenhower made changes in his note. He crossed out "This particular operation" to write "My decision to attack," which is emphatic and personal.

And he drew a long, strong line under "mine alone." When you see those words and that thick line on the note today, in the Eisenhower Library, you might feel some of the steel of a man who would so unflinchingly accept responsibility. Ike didn't try to camouflage failure in phrases like, "Mistakes were made," "Our projections were not met" or "I will say nothing pending investigation." He wrote, "any blame or fault ... is mine alone."

Dwight Eisenhower put the note into his wallet. The invasion succeeded, and although a lot of dying was ahead, his note never had to be used. But it revealed a character that was enduring."

The Speech Eisenhower Never Gave On The Normandy Invasion : NPR
Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Sage

And this, the speech he DID GIVE....

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force: You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely. But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking."

If you wish to actually hear the speech from his own lips...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.6052f33c87fa
Old 06-05-2019, 02:31 PM

The National WWII Museum in New Orleans is excellent and they have a presentation about D Day called Against All Odds it is surprising what heroism these men had/have. We are very much indebted to them!
Home | The National WWII Museum | New Orleans
Closed Thread

Tags
generation, beach, made, ago, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.