Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts
Default Dash cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat
I am really thinking of getting a dash cam
I have a Novatek dashcam just like this one in my car. It's probably the most popular because it's so small. It has capacitor instead of a battery, so it's not effected by the heat, which through the top of windshield can get very high. I put it in the middle behind or just to the left of the rearview mirror. Then run the powercord to an accessory plug. I was afraid people would see it through the windshield and break the glass to steal it. The unit is so small and the glass is usually heavier tint at the top, it's very hard to see it through the windshield. There are several sellers on eBay and Amazon. Here's video I uploaded to youtube back in 2015.

The Villages, Florida Driving 2015 - YouTube

The Villages Florida

This seller has 5 for sale with free shipping

VIOFO A119PRO 2" TFT LCD Capacitor Novatek 96660 1440p Car Dash Cam Camera Hot! 889251365201 | eBay

Last edited by John_W; 06-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I have a Novatek dashcam just like this one in my car. It's probably the most popular because it's so small. It has capacitor instead of a battery, so it's not effected by the heat, which through the top of windshield can get very high. I put it in the middle behind or just to the left of the rearview mirror. Then run the powercord to an accessory plug. I was afraid people would see it through the windshield and break the glass to steal it. The unit is so small and the glass is usually heavier tint at the top, it's very hard to see it through the windshield. There are several sellers on eBay and Amazon. Here's video I uploaded to youtube back in 2015.

The Villages Florida

VIOFO A119PRO 2" TFT LCD Capacitor Novatek 96660 1440p Car Dash Cam Camera Hot! 889251365201 | eBay
How do you hide the power cord?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I recently purchased a dash cam at Best Buy and they installed it so if you're not handy doing installations, there is a place.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
How do you hide the power cord?
For installing a dashcam, the powercord is small wire and can be run along the edge of the headliner to the down post, I've never had any problem with it falling out. Then run the wire down the window post to under the dash and run through there to the accessory socket. If it's further back on the center console, you might have to run the wire along the edge of the carpet and go under the seat. I've had mine in 3 different cars. Two had plug-in under the dash at the front of the console and one I had to go under seat because it was further back under the armrest. When going under the dash, use a couple of ty-wraps to hold it in place. Down the door frame between the post and dash, I use something sticky to keep the wires from moving around. I found using just one side of velcro is very good, it holds in place well, especially after the door has been shut on it a few times.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:

The Villages Florida

Nice. What program or app do you use to add the words and upload to YouTube?
Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

Nice cam. Same price on Amazon. Safer to buy from them. They also have the newer "2019 version" for $10 more.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
Nice. What program or app do you use to add the words and upload to YouTube?
That was done with the Windows Media Player program that came free with the computer. I don't have that computer anymore, the version I have now doesn't seem to be as friendly.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Nice cam. Same price on Amazon. Safer to buy from them. They also have the newer "2019 version" for $10 more.
Actually the version on that eBay listing is newer than mine, I purchased my unit in 2014 from eBay. I've been buying from eBay since 2004 never any problems. Most sellers on eBay want excellent feedback, the best way to that is to ship an item quickly and for free.

On Amazon if you don't belong to Amazon Prime, they'll sit on the item and won't ship for about 5 days if you select free shipping. I have noticed the last two items I bought from Amazon were shipped in one day from near Tampa and received them in a couple of days, so I'll be using Amazon more often. If you pick a seller on eBay that has good feedback in the tens of thousands with a 99% or better, you'll probably do alright.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.