Dear moderator let's debate, pleeeze

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Not specifically pointing to any post that's already happened but as an example of why a P.C. Thread shouldn't come back will be tomorrow. This thread will go south. You'll see.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

It is so easy to crawl in our comfortable corner and assume (we all know how to spell that word) that we have all the answers, but, but, maybe we could learn something from that debate and discover there is another answer, maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't be a black and white issue but a "gray" one, maybe, just maybe!
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 AM
Sage

We could call the forum, Fact Check, just like a real debate, no name calling, no personal attacks, just like "Dragnet" and Jack Webb were famous for saying, "the facts Mam, only the facts"
Old 10-18-2019, 02:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Look at the standard of debate on the site that cannot be spoken of.
Someone will post a politcal opinion/letter, and within minutes the so called debate gets down to sewer level.
Moderation would be a nightmare, there are plenty of sites 'off campus' to vent on, if that is a persons want.
Keep politics and religeon out of TOTV. JMO.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Views & Opinions were never changed or impacted by the debates, just expressed ad nauseam.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We could call the forum, Fact Check, just like a real debate, no name calling, no personal attacks, just like "Dragnet" and Jack Webb were famous for saying, "the facts Mam, only the facts"
I guess a Real Debate is possible. I would hope for that also but we would Probably hear 1 Adam 12 instead.

Best of luck. If you get this done I'll participate and behave.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Moderators rules are the Moderators rules...Abide or face the consequences
Old 10-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

No thanks. I'll stick with the words of George Washington in his farewell address.

"I have already intimated to you the danger of [political] parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight), the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another..."
Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

My response to a "debate" request. NO.

I respect other's opinions on any subject - as long as they respect mine. The slippery slope becomes an avalanche too soon and too many times.

Nope.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Political debate should be conducted face to face and I am real happy that it is not allowed here. The moderators already have a full time job trying to keep personal attacks and sarcasm out of threads. In the infamous words of Rodney King, CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG. an idea, would be to start a political debate GROUP on Facebook.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

As much as I would love to hear debate and see the various points of views, I feel, given how quickly even the president’s arrival thread disappeared.... makes me wonder how long people could contain themselves.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I'd like to see the political forum return. I could discuss politics in a civil way. If posters break the rules, give them a time out.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Sage

I would hope that we could put aside our political prejudice and who knows , we might just discover we were wrong, imagine that! Too bad we can't pick a "salad bar" of different views. Last time I checked neither party had all the answers. Another option, questions given to moderator to choose thru a poll. Answer, yes no, or maybe! Just a thought, May we all keep an open mind and put aside our differences . Peace!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It could be easy to control.
Make it opt in...easy for those those who dislike political discussion....do not opt in!
Use same ID as in regular TOTV.
Enable ignore feature.
Give behavior violators 3 strikes and your out. The moderator would warn them up to three times....not just in one thread but overall.
Upon getting the third strike remove them from TOTV......maybe 30 days first time....60 days second time, etc.

Since the violators are a small minority count, it would not be long before they are weeded/struck out.

Last edited by billethkid; 10-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It could be easy to control.
Make it opt in...easy for those those who dislike political discussion....do not opt in!
Use same ID as in regular TOTV.
Enable ignore feature.
Give behavior violators 3 strikes and your out. The moderator would warn them up to three times....not just in one thread but overall.
Upon getting the third strike remove them from TOTV......maybe 30 days first time....60 days second time, etc.

Since the violators are a small minority count, it would not be long before they are weeded/struck out.
The ignore feature doesn't do any good if someone else quotes the person you're ignoring. A debate thread would suck up most of the moderators' time and efforts - and don't forget the mods have opinions as well - if they see a thread that busts their buttons, but isn't violating something, it's just more stress that they really shouldn't have to deal with.

That said - if such a forum option was to be returned, it should be a) opt-in only and b) violators are simply banned from that forum option. Not allowed to read or participate in that forum, but still have access as usual to the regular forum, with the usual rules.
Closed Thread

Tags
debate, facts, eluded, discover, important

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.