Dear moderator let's debate, pleeeze

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
The moderators already have a full time job trying to keep personal attacks and sarcasm out of threads.
Amen. Aside from any other considerations, I would never wish a political forum on our moderators for the sake of their sanity. Even now when they step in with a request to get back on topic, they are often ignored and their only recourse is to lock threads.

In fact, I might go so far as to say TOTV already is political. I have never so much as glanced into any of the former iterations of political talk, but could easily identify the party affiliations of many of the frequent posters here because it bleeds into their comments every day. For example, a completely innocuous thread asking about jury duty was turned into a political soapbox by posters who took the opportunity to air their grievances about defense attorneys.

So thanks to the mods; I appreciate the time and effort they put in to keep TOTV functioning!
Old 10-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Old 10-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Therein lies the crux of the problem.

In spite of proof from legitimate sources showing otherwise, there will always be those who not only refuse to do their own research to get to the truth...but try to denigrate those who do.

Whether from an ineptness in the basic technical ability to provide legitimate links, or simply a refusal to believe them ('confirmation bias') there is a significant faction who choose to go by their gut feelings...instead of actual facts.

There is however a recent glimmer, albeit a dim one, that those who promulgate the most outrageous, putrid and vicious false conspiracy theories...may be held accountable for such.

Sandy Hook Really DID Happen. (poke here)

I also find it telling that some folks think a debate, based on actual facts, can't be enlightening/legitimate...if there's a majority that feel a certain way.

It's as if, they believe that..."might=right."

THAT, in itself...explains a lot.

Oh yeah, as far as a forum for discussing politics, the ONLY way it could ever work is if it was constantly & fairly moderated...which is beyond reasonable (regarding the "constantly," not the "fairly" part) by the volunteer moderators.

Recognizing, of course, that even if someone is proved to be dead wrong on an issue, they won't change their opinion anyway...they'll just try to change the subject.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I truly wish those wanting to debate political issues could find a place to do that, but, I also hope it never happens on TOTV again. I was here during the political forum days to include the opt in/out option. I look forward to my daily coffee and TOTV time. Even times, like right now when sleep eludes me. Call me silly, but I would rather promote love and understanding above things we can’t seem to agree on. I like feel good movies more than violent movies. I would prefer to read a story about helping those in need more so than name calling that inevitably happens when political debate comes into play. Even when we had that forum with the opt in/out requirement, you could easily see how the disagreements would filter over to the rest of the site. So, again, I hope those that want it, find it, but I also thank the TOTV monitors and management for their forethought to discourage argument and personal attacks on this site.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:01 AM

I wish to discuss the issues on why those not within the track are seeking new differences between the lines of choice and what it takes to become the notion of all one!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 AM

I have been part of and pulled out of many social media forums. Civility is not and will not rear its head until the political climate in this country changes. As long as people can hide behind the curtain of social media, they will not behave, they will not be civil and they will not respect anyone for having an opinion. So, no, leave TOTV as is. No politics. Thanks for making the change.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 AM

I agree. To be good citizens we must be involved in politics. Civil discourse is required. No shouting (or all CAPS), no unfounded "facts", no grandstanding. Let's talk. We can be better than congress. We should, perhaps must, have different opinions. We can seek balance.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandb875 View Post
No shouting (or all CAPS), no unfounded "facts", no grandstanding. Let's talk.
Really???

Sorry, I could not help myself.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Those who want...............Open a Facebook page.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:11 AM

Absolutely not! I had to replace the windshield on my golf cart because someone of a different opinion decided he or she did not like one of my political stickers. It was a very small one compared to many I see on carts and lawns when I pass by. We are embroiled in a very hot and dangerous difference of opinions here in TV. This is not the forum for political discussions.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Totally agree, God made us all different therefore we have different opinions. Let’s be civil and treat everyone with respect
Old 10-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I know, I know, you have made it "perfectly clear" that we have not been good girls and boys when discussing "_olitics", but if we promise to put our big boy pants on and debate like we did in high school because in the next year there are so many important issues that all posters could discover FACTS that have eluded all of us. Let's debate without profanity or personal attacks. I know, back in the day, our debate club would have our butt beat! So what do you say?????
NO, NO, NO

This is not the place for that type of discussion.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:32 AM

No, no, no
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM

There is no such thing as a civil discussion of politics. The two sides are so far apart that civility has completely disappeared. Please keep your politics to yourself so I can like you for what I see not what defines your political beliefs.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 AM
SUENRAN

Political debate has become toxic and divisive. I too am against the politicization of this great site. Don't we already have enough soapboxes?
Closed Thread

Tags
debate, facts, eluded, discover, important

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.