New "Leisureville"

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Default CROSSROAD COMMONS not LEISUREVILLE

As my bio states I am a former English teacher, turned technology teacher. (and yes I also danced professionally on B'way very briefly and then taught dance).

I am now considering writing a mini novel (maybe a technology driven one) based on my research about 55 active adult communities. I plan on coming to The Villages in December through March, and I am asking for your help.

I am writing the novel in the style of Danielle Steele, I know for the men maybe "bleh", but for me it is just a fun project, not meant to be anything other than LIGHT reading.I decided to call it CROSSROAD COMMONS

I read LEISUREVILLE and I think it doesn't paint the true picture of what I see here on TOTV, many people of my generation who are just kind, informative and helpful to each other on many levels. I find the author's blog (AB) often negative towards generational positions ahead and behind him.

I am looking for the following (yes I will credit your story if used in the forward):
  • Residents finding a second time around relationship after divorce or widowhood (already have one saved)
  • Funny stories about pets versus the FL natural inhabitants (non-human)
  • Younger retired/snowbird residents assisting older residents especially around holidays
  • Learning to adjust to driving a golf cart
  • Making new friendships
  • Anything related to viewing one's self as a FROG
  • Adult children living with parents due to the "recession"
  • New business ventures as a result of needs based community
  • Common concerns:aging, successful retirements, investing issues not working out as planned,

and anything else you can think of. It is a work of fiction, although I have made a list of the recommended contractors, services, and purchasing pre-owned versus new for personal use. I am thinking of using Kickstarter on Facebook, and perhaps making it somehow related to the 55 plus crowd on Facebook, not sure where the plot will be just yet, but it will be very LIGHT reading.

Thanking you in advance for your help, if you wish to relate a story you can PM me. I think TOTV is in one word WONDERFUL. As one who corrected 125 essays a week for MCAS prep, I think the writer's true personality or voice is reflected in their posts, and so many of the regulars here are truly wonderful and inspirational people.

Jann

Last edited by jannd228; 10-08-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Name Change
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Can I be.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
As my bio states I am a former English teacher, turned technology teacher. (and yes I also danced professionally on B'way very briefly and then taught dance).

I am now considering writing a mini novel (maybe a technology driven one) based on my research about 55 active adult communities. I plan on coming to The Villages in December through March, and I am asking for your help.

I am writing the novel in the style of Danielle Steele, I know for the men maybe "bleh", but for me it is just a fun project, not meant to be anything other than LIGHT reading.

I read LEISUREVILLE and I think it doesn't paint the true picture of what I see here on TOTV, many people of my generation who are just kind, informative and helpful to each other on many levels. I find the author's blog (AB) often negative towards generational positions ahead and behind him.

I am looking for the following (yes I will credit your story if used in the forward):
  • Residents finding a second time around relationship after divorce or widowhood (already have one saved)
  • Funny stories about pets versus the FL natural inhabitants (non-human)
  • Younger residents assisting older residents especially around holidays
  • Learning to adjust to driving a golf cart
  • Making new friendships
  • Anything related to viewing one's self as a FROG

and anything else you can think of. It is a work of fiction, although I have made a list of the recommended contractors, services, and purchasing pre-owned versus new for personal use. I am thinking of using Kickstarter on Facebook, and perhaps making it somehow related to the 55 plus crowd on Facebook, not sure where the plot will be just yet, but it will be very LIGHT reading.

Thanking you in advance for your help, if you wish to relate a story you can PM me. I think TOTV is in one word WONDERFUL. As one who corrected 125 essays a week for MCAS prep, I think the writer's true personality or voice is reflected in their posts, and so many of the regulars here are truly wonderful and inspirational people.

Jann
Can I be Mr. Midnight 2 ??
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM

You might add a category for parents with chicks who have fallen on hard times, and have come to nest in The Villages. More than you might think.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Default RVRoadie and JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
You might add a category for parents with chicks who have fallen on hard times, and have come to nest in The Villages. More than you might think.
JJ not going the "midnight" route or the ladies after hours via the gates

Roadie, I do have one widowed character with 2 come home to roost again, if you have a personal reflection or know of someone just PM with brief info, I am a widow so I can relate to some widow issues
Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Platinum member

Once I became familiar with TV I had intended to write a few mysteries about the place. I have a few ideas and plots in mind but it will take time to familiarize myself with places and customs. Who knows, Jannd228...maybe you and I can compete for the top spot on the Best Sellers List.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Default maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Once I became familiar with TV I had intended to write a few mysteries about the place. I have a few ideas and plots in mind but it will take time to familiarize myself with places and customs. Who knows, Jannd228...maybe you and I can compete for the top spot on the Best Sellers List.
maybe
Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sounds interesting.
You could add a section on how you deceided to move to a 55+ community
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Sounds interesting.
You could add a section on how you deceided to move to a 55+ community
will do
Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Taltarzac
Default This is not exactly pet vs. the FL environment but it is related.

This just happened this morning at Doggie Doo Run Run (DDRR).

The employees at DDRR pick up dog poop after the dog owners are supposed to mark it with various wire or plastic flags of various colors. The colors of the flags are white, orange, red, pink, and a very few blue.

I had taken my dog Sport into the big dog section after first having taken him to the small dog section where I had got to socializing with a near neighbor from the Villages and only saw my dog poop from quite a distance.

I looked around for the doggie doo in the company of my Villages' near neighbor but could not find it but felt obligated to look and mark any unmarked poop that caught my eye. There is frequently unmarked dog feces in all the DDRR sections I use.

When I got to the big dog section with my chihuahua/terrier mix I was still on the look out for various unmarked doggie business.

I found one that was unmarked but had to look away and back again because I saw the poop move.

The dog Number 2 moved again and I thought that I was losing my mind.

I looked at it for a full minute and it seemed to be dancing from side to side doing some kind of skit out of one of the very strange Cartoon Channel creations or perhaps from South Park.

Gathering courage I stuck the poop with a wire pole with a red flag and pushed the poop about a foot aside.

There where the poop had been I saw a rather large black beetle of some kind who seemed to be missing his or her lunch of dog waste.

I stuck the red flag's pole into the ground near the poop and moved on. This was not anywhere now near the beetle nor the poop as I did not want anyone else seeing the dancing poop in case one of the more senior dog owners or the DDRR employees would get surprised and have a heart attack nor think themselves going crazy seeing some poop doing an imitation of one of the Villagers dancing at karaoke night at Havana Country Club.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-08-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Default love it

good one Talzerac, keep posting stories, this is going to be fun, something to show how human we all are no matter the age or location
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Default Rough Draft

this is a blog book, a creative writing project I used to do with my students if you want to read it you can PM me and I will send you the link;

Last edited by jannd228; 10-10-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: administrator request
Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
this is the beginning of the rd or rough draft, if you are on blogger please follow, not sure if I will put up a page on Facebook yet or not, this is considered the "back story" of one of the main characters; and of course I will edit many times

http://crossroadcommons.blogspot.com/
You've got me hooked already!!! I even see in your Jenna character someone we all know and love.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Default ideas

thanks Baylor,

anyone else have funny stories, ideas, or frog concepts, started to write yesterday, it is VERY rough, do not want to give wrong ideas about TV, I visited last spring and am hooked, health issues delay my purchasing but plan to be there soon

PM or post, thank you to all, everyone should know how kind you all are here

Jann
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Default ideas

I should have explained this better, I am writing a blog novel similar to what I did with my students. Each day we would post on the discussion board ideas to put in the novel for the day.

I enjoy reading the posts here, no this is NOT going to be published for money, it is just to keep me going as I recuperate from chemo I am undergoing, it keeps me focused on something else besides the pain.

I have gotten some great background stories for characters, Taltarzac posted a funny story about DDRR that I am going to work in.

If interested just post something, love the posts by Gracie, can't wait to meet her. Love the confusion about the feral cats, working that in, the sobbing about eating ice cream (we have all done that one), the problems with contractors and services, etc.

So feel free to post anything you feel would be of interest. If you wish to read the rough draft PM me I will send you the link, or if you would prefer to tell me a story PM me. Setting is a place similar to TV, Thanksgiving through New Year's Day, two main characters, combination Danielle Steel and Sue Grafton, like I said for fun.

Thank you to all who post here, I look forward to reading what you write daily. You kept my spirits up all summer.

Jann
Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA
Unhappy

Count me in for sure! I'd love to read it . . .

What about the story of someone who moved to TV for 7 mos, LOVED it, but moved back & realized it was the worst mistake of her life?
Betty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.