the desperation of winter

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Sage
Default the desperation of winter

Got an email from daughter in Brooklyn: "Help, it's snowing again. If I had a closet rod sturdy enough, I'd hang myself"
I replied "Don't be silly, you couldn't hang yourself from a closet rod, not high enough, you would just slowly strangle."
She replied, "That would be better than more snow"
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315;6***55
Got an email from daughter in Brooklyn: "Help, it's snowing again. If I had a closet rod sturdy enough, I'd hang myself"
I replied "Don't be silly, you couldn't hang yourself from a closet rod, not high enough, you would just slowly strangle."
She replied, "That would be better than more snow"
NYC's had a bad winter by their standards. The daffodils should be starting by now. Hopefully your daughter will see signs of spring soon. And hopefully they don't have very strong closet rods in Brooklyn!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default ...but it's coldddddd!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance;6***59
The daffodils should be starting by now.
In Connecticut for 2 weeks....wife's daffodils are popping thru but it's really cold & it's flurrying tonight.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Until coming here I've spent all of my life in states that had "seasons". I grew up in upstate NY and lived a good deal of my life there. While as I've gotten older I'm not so thrilled about dealing with multiple feet of snow and temperatures under 10. However, I actually MISS the snow & the cold. I doubt that I will ever get used to a place with no seasons. I never felt desperate during the winter, for the most part I enjoyed it. Sure after a long cold period I would look forward to some warmer weather, but when the heat & humidity of July & August rolled around, I couldn't wait for it to end.

But then again..I'm nuts.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Sage

Don't miss the snow at all....lived 27 years with it, almost 41 without it....I prefer the without...

Tulips growing at my house....spring is coming fast...hopefully to where your daughter is, too.
Attached Thumbnails
image-jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184;6***62
Until coming here I've spent all of my life in states that had "seasons". I grew up in upstate NY and lived a good deal of my life there. While as I've gotten older I'm not so thrilled about dealing with multiple feet of snow and temperatures under 10. However, I actually MISS the snow & the cold. I doubt that I will ever get used to a place with no seasons. I never felt desperate during the winter, for the most part I enjoyed it. Sure after a long cold period I would look forward to some warmer weather, but when the heat & humidity of July & August rolled around, I couldn't wait for it to end.

You're not nuts; it' all a matter of choice and "internal temperature." My MI native friends could never understand my infernal b****ing about the weather. I hate cold and find everything about winter depressing. They didn't think a thing of it. I couldn't wait to get out of there for the winters, but I understand your not liking the extreme heat.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Sage
Default The the warm weather

Living in upstate NY all my life before moving here, 99% of the time I don't miss the snow and cold. The 1% is maybe when I'd like to see the snow fall for one day. Coming here in May of 2012, we were getting into the heat of the season and I wondered if I would have a day without the humidity again. Now that we have been through winter here, I realize the humidity does indeed go away. I welcome back the heat and humidity this summer. The winter is chilly here, at least it was this year, so I thought. I cannot wait to use our pool again and practically live outdoors. When it's 50 here I call my mom up north and tell her how cold it is. She chuckles and tells me I can't be cold at that temp, because I'm from up north. I tell her my blood has thinned and its cold to me now. How things have changed....for the better!!! I love Florida and living in TV.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance;6***73
You're not nuts; it' all a matter of choice and "internal temperature." My MI native friends could never understand my infernal b****ing about the weather. I hate cold and find everything about winter depressing. They didn't think a thing of it. I couldn't wait to get out of there for the winters, but I understand your not liking the extreme heat.
I have a friend whom I worked with for a number of years in PA. Earlier in her career she worked a couple years near Clearwater. She HATES the snow & the cold, so we trade pictures..I send her sunny pictures, she sends me pictures of the snow. It's all good!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Sage

If Sandy and I never see snow again, it'll be too soon. Unfortunately, we're still spending most of our time in central Ahia at present............

Bill
Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Cold?ok Snow?ok, but please no more clouds!!!

It's not the snow and cold I hate...it is the endless days of gray with NO sunshine....I didn't used to be so affected by it but the older I get the more I hate the doldrums which are especially worse in March!!!

For my husband with arthritis it is the cold that makes his joints hurt so badly.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Default Forecast is for 3 degrees on the First Day of Spring

I just heard the extended weather forecast for Minnesota and it could be a mere 3 degrees (Fahrenheit) on the first day of spring. On the other hand, my brother called and said they'd be opening the golf course in his community on April 5th. Spring is coming...just a little late this year.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post

For my husband with arthritis it is the cold that makes his joints hurt so badly.
That issue I can personally understand.

The thing I tended to dislike about March..if it was a typical March was that it was cold then warm then cold, then snow, then rain and mud..mud..MUD!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184;6***62

I agree, you are nuts!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
That issue I can personally understand.

The thing I tended to dislike about March..if it was a typical March was that it was cold then warm then cold, then snow, then rain and mud..mud..MUD!
In MI we always called that the empty promises of spring. It wasn't till mid June that you could believe the warmer weather was telling the truth.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Amen to all of the above, the cold, the snow, the doldrums, the gray days....ugh. That's why we have a home down here so we can leave the aforementioned behind us. It's amazing how one's attitude changes living in the sunshine and in TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.