Despite the pandemic, 2020 US death rate increase is lowest in 5 years

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Platinum member

If this is correct, my best guess is that that there are less deaths attributable to auto accidents or other types of accident. Clearly there were a lot less people on the road.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Before responding to my post, try reading it.
To make it easier, I will summarize for you. I said I wear my mask ..............never mind. Some folks would rather hide under their beds than reason with logic.
I noticed that you singled out only one line that you seemed to take offense with. By your logic(?) I would have to wear a mask all the time during flu season, also. I am not going to pretend that I am going to coddle folks in their hysteria over this illness. I do not wear a mask during flu season either, and do not intend to UNLESS I have the flu or unless it is mandated. If that offends folks, oh well. Like I said in my post, which seems to have been skipped over, I wear a mask when I feel it is necessary or when a business requests wearing one in order to shop in their store. If I feel it is necessary, I will also wear gloves and eye protection. I maintain my distance when I am able and if not I move along as expeditiously as possible. I don't apologize for giving the appearance of a cold shoulder to those that feel it important to them to demand others "protect" them. It's not my duty or responsibility to "protect" folks that can easily protect themselves. It is not my fault if they wish to walk out into traffic or swim with the sharks. Sorry for not being sorry.
I do not run and get myself tested for COVID when I do not have ANY symptoms. It is a waste of time and money, as well as using up a test that might be needed elsewhere. Hey, like I said before if I become infected and pass, you can say "I told you so." If you wish to protect me, stay at home. If you wish for me to protect you, stay at home. There, for those that need it stated once more my advice and my offer of protection extends only as far as suggesting that you stay at home if you wish a guarantee of being safe.
I did read your entire post before I responded. What struck me were the comments I highlighted and I responded to those comments. I am glad to see you do wear mask when it is requested. That is the least we can all do to do our part.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:40 PM
Default Death rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Year to date, the death rate in the US is 8.880/1,000. That is an increase over the 8.782/1,000 rate from 2019. However the increase is the smallest year to year increase in the last five years. With so many deaths being attributed to the Coronavirus, why wasn’t there an uptick in the death rate in 2020? A logical answer would be that the vast majority of Covid coded deaths were with Covid, not from Covid and many of those people would have died even if they had not contracted the virus.
Where did you get this information.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B2137D5D-A724-430A-9CD4-FEC71BA17CDA.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	86689  
Old 10-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage

The facts are that nobody really knows where it started and there is much speculation about a number of possible sources, including China. Spain has not been seriously considered as a starting point. The "Spanish Flu" is just a moniker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Improvements in medical science could explain some of that difference. Also, even though the US responded slower to CV than other countries, the US may have responded even slower and not as well during the Spanish Flu. Which, interestingly, was really started in Kansas, but got misnamed by the US Government. Funny how History never corrected that mistake?
Old 10-23-2020, 06:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
Suicide rate is unchanged in 2020. Here is my source, what is yours? In fact, what are your sources for the rest of your claims?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...mic-unchanged/
You post a link to a newspaper article about a completely non scientific “study” by 2 doctors, looking at suicides in one state. This is what the CDC says:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6932a1-H.pdf
Old 10-23-2020, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=xNYer;1851132]Where did you get this information.[/
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	05F9F453-3892-455D-91C5-92057AA65870.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	86690  
Old 10-23-2020, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
If this is correct, my best guess is that that there are less deaths attributable to auto accidents or other types of accident. Clearly there were a lot less people on the road.
From NHTSA:
“The FARS data indicate that an estimated 8,870 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in the second quarter of 2020, a decrease of about 3.3% compared to the second quarter of 2019, which translates into 302 fewer fatalities as compared to the same period in 2019.Oct 1, 2020”
Hardly offsets 220,000 “Coronavirus deaths”...
Closed Thread

Tags
rate, increase, death, covid, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.