Despite the pandemic, 2020 US death rate increase is lowest in 5 years

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Awesome, great reporting job. Now do "permanent lung damage and other debilitating, life-altering illness cases as a result of COVID-19." And compare that with all of those same illnesses as a result of "not COVID-19," for the past 5 years.
Since no one has any idea, it’s probably just as blown out of proportion as the virus itself.
Some people just can’t stand it when the facts don’t align with their feelings...
Old 10-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Since no one has any idea, it’s probably just as blown out of proportion as the virus itself.
Some people just can’t stand it when the facts don’t align with their feelings...
What is your source for this knowledge that no one has any idea? And what is your source for the knowledge that it's "probably just as blown out of proportion as the virus itself?" Or was that just a feeling, not based on facts?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
What is your source for this knowledge that no one has any idea? And what is your source for the knowledge that it's "probably just as blown out of proportion as the virus itself?" Or was that just a feeling, not based on facts?
Interesting, I cited the fact that although there have been over 220,000 coded Covid deaths in 2020, it somehow didn’t effect the total death rate for this year. You didn’t like those facts, and yes, they are facts. Instead you have asked me to prove an unknown. Since the same sources that have overblown the severity of the virus are touting the long term side effects of the virus, it stands to reason that they are probably also overblown...
Old 10-18-2020, 05:44 AM

Absolutely agree 100% they have blown this extremely out of proportion...many of us have gone back to our daily lives months ago, work, recreation, eating out etc...and we are all fine...
Old 10-18-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Year to date, the death rate in the US is 8.880/1,000. That is an increase over the 8.782/1,000 rate from 2019. However the increase is the smallest year to year increase in the last five years. With so many deaths being attributed to the Coronavirus, why wasn’t there an uptick in the death rate in 2020? A logical answer would be that the vast majority of Covid coded deaths were with Covid, not from Covid and many of those people would have died even if they had not contracted the virus.
My reply is not intended to be political, just using this example because it's one we're all familiar with. George Floyd... - curious how they wove in COVID-19 in conjunction w/his death (as distinguished from manner of death) and was he counted in the COVID death count.
My mom had liver cancer - solely contained w/in the liver - only found on x-ray following a fall after she fainted... developed pneumonia after the fall. During a check on the pneumonia they found her heart valves were flopping around (heart problems her whole life). She died a couple of days later (4 weeks after the fall - and her death cert says liver cancer -- even though it was clearly her heart insufficiency. So it DOES seem they choose whatever they want, among the maladies.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:27 AM

That's quite an observation .... have you considered how many fewer people are driving?
Old 10-18-2020, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
That's quite an observation .... have you considered how many fewer people are driving?
Accordingly to the NHTSA, in 2020, traffic fatalities are down 3.3% which over the first 3 quarters of the year equals 906 fewer deaths than in the first 9 months of 2019.
So, I don’t think that 906 traffic deaths offsets 220,000 “Covid deaths”...
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Interesting, I cited the fact that although there have been over 220,000 coded Covid deaths in 2020, it somehow didn’t effect the total death rate for this year. You didn’t like those facts, and yes, they are facts. Instead you have asked me to prove an unknown. Since the same sources that have overblown the severity of the virus are touting the long term side effects of the virus, it stands to reason that they are probably also overblown...
We had a pretty major shutdown of businesses. Very little travel taking place. People staying home much more than before. I would expect the death rate to drop under these conditions - but it did not. That is the Covid effect on the death rate.

Can I prove it? No. But I have a mind that is capable of logical thinking. And my conclusion is that the death rate was rased by Covid. How much? No idea.

And I'll say it again. I don't understand why some people are so passionate about trying to convince us all that Covid is nothing to worry about. I don't live in fear. And I certainly did not panic when all this started. But, I am going to continue to wear a make in stores and keep a bit of distance between others and myself. If that bothers someone, their problem not mine.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
We had a pretty major shutdown of businesses. Very little travel taking place. People staying home much more than before. I would expect the death rate to drop under these conditions - but it did not. That is the Covid effect on the death rate.

Can I prove it? No. But I have a mind that is capable of logical thinking. And my conclusion is that the death rate was rased by Covid. How much? No idea.

And I'll say it again. I don't understand why some people are so passionate about trying to convince us all that Covid is nothing to worry about. I don't live in fear. And I certainly did not panic when all this started. But, I am going to continue to wear a make in stores and keep a bit of distance between others and myself. If that bothers someone, their problem not mine.
Suicides are up, drug related deaths are up & murders are all up in 2020. Offset that with a decrease in traffic deaths. So what happened to the 220,000 “Covid deaths”?
Did the vast majority of them die from their other health issues that would most likely have killed them even without Covid? That seems to be “logical thinking”...
Old 10-18-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post

And if we banned automobiles, the death rate would go down also. And if folks ate less, there would be less deaths attributed to diabetes, high blood pressure and stroke. If we banned alcohol, there would be less deaths related to alcohol abuse, etc, etc. I think the point may be that the virus may or may not have been over exploited, exaggerated, over blown.
I am not suggesting that the virus is a hoax. I am suggesting that maybe some panic stricken folks are over reacting. Or, maybe not. Some of you are hiding under your beds in fear (right or wrong) and demanding others do the same. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the human race will be wiped out by this virus. If you fear the virus, then by all means wear protective gear. Protect yourself. Like I have said over and over again, don't expect me to protect you. I am not being negligent UNLESS I discover that I am infected and still wander about the public without taking protective precautions.
When aids was first discovered, I used plastic utensils when I ate out and straws, rather than drink out of washed glasses or forks. Later, when more information was available I realized that I was taking unnecessary precautions. Folks wouldn't allow their kids to attend school with HIV infected children.
I am glad we are having these discussions, because I have now relaxed my guard a bit regarding the virus scare. I am not discounting masks. I rely more upon social distancing than protective attire. My daily activities have returned to just about normal. I am not wasting my time worrying about something that is less likely to infect me than catching the common cold. And I haven't had a cold in about ten years or so.
Do what you gotta do, but don't stress yourselves out worrying about what other folks are doing.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Covid is not a hoax, Covid is very real, it is also really overblown...
Only the Chinese know for sure.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Does being bored to death count?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:28 AM

This internet post has been found to be misleading and not totally accurate. You can make statistics say what you want. It seems most responders are reading what they already believe. A few simple fact checks will show this post is old, not accurate and misleading. Latest data shows 280,000 excess deaths this year. A little simple research is all it takes
Old 10-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlparks84003 View Post
This internet post has been found to be misleading and not totally accurate. You can make statistics say what you want. It seems most responders are reading what they already believe. A few simple fact checks will show this post is old, not accurate and misleading. Latest data shows 280,000 excess deaths this year. A little simple research is all it takes
This post is neither old nor inaccurate. The only thing misleading is the coding of 280,000 Covid deaths. If 280,000 people died from the Coronavirus in the US in 2020, then why wasn’t there a spike in the actual death rate? The majority of those deaths were most likely from other preexisting conditions. Most would have died anyway, even without Covid. That’s why the death rate in 2020 increased at a lower rate than any of the previous 5 years. Simple facts. Look at the death rates in the US for the last 5 years and see for yourself.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 AM

Very interesting!
Closed Thread

Tags
rate, increase, death, covid, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.