Devastating Images from the Bahamas

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts
Default Devastating Images from the Bahamas

The images coming to light from the Bahamas is just heartbreaking. For all those that thought your day was in ruin because you could not play pickleball or golf, take time to reflect on how devastating their life has become. Prayers for all.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
The images coming to light from the Bahamas is just heartbreaking. For all those that thought your day was in ruin because you could not play pickleball or golf, take time to reflect on how devastating their life has become. Prayers for all.
Been thinking the same thing all day!
Steve
Old 09-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Nicely stated. Us Americans are extremely fortunate to have been born or migrated here. Many parts of the world have inhabitants who are one bad change of circumstance from a cruel end. Fortunately there are still many who will help them as long as the press and others care about these circumstances.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 PM

So graceful the cruise industry is chipping in to help. RCI
Old 09-04-2019, 03:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Feel so bad for those folks, will help thru safe local charities.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Feel so bad for those folks, will help thru safe local charities.
Ditto.

To ensure my donations make a difference and aren't mostly used to pay for admin costs, I use.... Charity Navigator (Click Here)

The early look at the devastation and hearing just a few of the residents stories...is horrific and utterly heartbreaking.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
I want to join the comments and echo how heartbreaking it is. Here "we" tend to complain and criticize about 1st world problems that aren't problems at all. Last night a man in the Bahamas was interviewed and he told of watching his wife drown while their house destructed. When asked how he survived his answer was, he didn't know. I can't imagine even a bit what he and others are going through.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

It's going to take years to recover, long after the network channels leave.

Pray the death toll does not climb.

Florida is/was blessed this time.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

The photos I have seen show what I consider unbelievable damage. While I have never been their, my wife has, and indicated the devastation does not come close to the damage.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Been thinking all the thoughts today that I have read here. We can help them restore buildings but we can't restore the lives lost.

So very sad.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The photos I have seen show what I consider unbelievable damage. While I have never been their, my wife has, and indicated the devastation does not come close to the damage.
Had wanted to visit the Bahamas at some point because of all the pirate lore they seem to be connected to in various ways. Lots of history in other words. Pirates of Nassau | Pirates of The Bahamas

Will still try to do that as what they will need in the future are tourists.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Pay attention to images from this when you think your house is safe. Block houses built to withstand category 5 hurricane were shredded. I seen pics of walls totally blown apart that were reinforced by rebar. You guys have a very false sense of security based upon when and what standards your houses were built to. Anyone whoever stayed in a house with 100 mph winds for prolonged period of time (not a couple hours ) would most likely never do it again. Have you ever seen sliding glass doors bow inward by 4 inches ?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Pay attention to images from this when you think your house is safe. Block houses built to withstand category 5 hurricane were shredded. I seen pics of walls totally blown apart that were reinforced by rebar. You guys have a very false sense of security based upon when and what standards your houses were built to. Anyone whoever stayed in a house with 100 mph winds for prolonged period of time (not a couple hours ) would most likely never do it again. Have you ever seen sliding glass doors bow inward by 4 inches ?
Well, this is true and proves some kind of point. People try to be as safe as they can and builders try to build homes to protect us. But sometimes we face the ultimate challenge. and sometimes we survive and sometimes we don't.

Everyone has their ideas and beliefs and that may be why there are so many houses of worship.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Yes, and costs come into play too. The builders can build bunkers or equivalent housing code probably able to withstand Cat 5 hurricane too, but the costs would be so excessive, no one would buy such a house. And they generally don’t need to. The probability of any one house getting catastrophic damage in TV in my guess is very low. Insurance cover most other damage (with deductible).
Old 09-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Actually homes in Bahamas that are still standing are the recent builds, not block, but poured concrete. Only place I know that was built to withstand Cat 5 is Disney Resorts. TV has ratings on wind for homes, windows, roof. But no builder here says what CAT they can withstand.

Our oldest on barrier Island in North Carolina is build to withstand CAT, but nowhere does it say what number. So far the last three have done zero damage, but as he says it’s all luck of the draw.
Closed Thread

Tags
devastating, images, bahamas, time, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.