Devastating Images from the  Bahamas

Devastating Images from the Bahamas

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The photos I have seen show what I consider unbelievable damage. While I have never been their, my wife has, and indicated the devastation does not come close to the damage.
Had wanted to visit the Bahamas at some point because of all the pirate lore they seem to be connected to in various ways. Lots of history in other words. Pirates of Nassau | Pirates of The Bahamas

Will still try to do that as what they will need in the future are tourists.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Gold member

Pay attention to images from this when you think your house is safe. Block houses built to withstand category 5 hurricane were shredded. I seen pics of walls totally blown apart that were reinforced by rebar. You guys have a very false sense of security based upon when and what standards your houses were built to. Anyone whoever stayed in a house with 100 mph winds for prolonged period of time (not a couple hours ) would most likely never do it again. Have you ever seen sliding glass doors bow inward by 4 inches ?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Pay attention to images from this when you think your house is safe. Block houses built to withstand category 5 hurricane were shredded. I seen pics of walls totally blown apart that were reinforced by rebar. You guys have a very false sense of security based upon when and what standards your houses were built to. Anyone whoever stayed in a house with 100 mph winds for prolonged period of time (not a couple hours ) would most likely never do it again. Have you ever seen sliding glass doors bow inward by 4 inches ?
Well, this is true and proves some kind of point. People try to be as safe as they can and builders try to build homes to protect us. But sometimes we face the ultimate challenge. and sometimes we survive and sometimes we don't.

Everyone has their ideas and beliefs and that may be why there are so many houses of worship.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Gold member

Yes, and costs come into play too. The builders can build bunkers or equivalent housing code probably able to withstand Cat 5 hurricane too, but the costs would be so excessive, no one would buy such a house. And they generally don’t need to. The probability of any one house getting catastrophic damage in TV in my guess is very low. Insurance cover most other damage (with deductible).
Old 09-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Actually homes in Bahamas that are still standing are the recent builds, not block, but poured concrete. Only place I know that was built to withstand Cat 5 is Disney Resorts. TV has ratings on wind for homes, windows, roof. But no builder here says what CAT they can withstand.

Our oldest on barrier Island in North Carolina is build to withstand CAT, but nowhere does it say what number. So far the last three have done zero damage, but as he says it’s all luck of the draw.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Looking at the total destruction this is a scene from many movies..... Be prepared to defend yourself, desperate people are out to " Survive ".

The British Military will need to have a presence NOW!

The local Police are will be overwhelmed, unable to cope with the looting and the criminal element that I am certain is going on as I write this.

A very serious situation that is not being reported.

A voice from experience.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 09-04-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Tags
devastating, images, bahamas, time, golf