R.I.P. Don Imus

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default R.I.P. Don Imus

One of the original shock jock dj's on the radio died today; saw him in Branson, MO years ago when he did a show there.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I had sent him an awful lot of e-mails in the period between 2001 through 2005 or so. R.I.P.

Don Imus - Wikipedia
Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Always sorry to see anyone pass away. This is one time it will be interesting to see what the re-invented How Weird Stern has to say! R.I.P.

He said things that were even disgusting to me, Imus that is. That's saying a whole lot! Howard Stern was equally bad!

They both were such low life's that even when I was young I didn't care for their act's!

Hope he didn't suffer and sorry for his family.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Back in the mid '80s, Imus was tamer and pretty funny. I wouldn't even put Howard Stern on. I used to have Imus on the radio in the kitchen in the mornings after the kids left for school. We left Jersey in 1987, and I didn't hear him for another 15 or so years. When I heard him again, he was too shock for me. Don't know what happened to him. He went from funny to disgusting.

I'm sorry for him and his family.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I used to listen to him in the mornings while spending some windshield time in my service truck. Really missed his political coverage and especially his speech he did at one of the press conference dinners on the Clinton's.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:02 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I feel kindness and acceptance go farther than mean spirited comedy. However, all deserve to RIP!
Old 12-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

Always loved his characters, especially the Reverend Billy Sol Hargus of the First Church of the Good Death and Discount House of Worship.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I used to watch him in the mornings in the early-mid 2000s while getting ready for work. I liked the show and mostly admired his sharp wit, though at times he went over the top. I was watching the day he made the remarks about the Rutgers women’s basketball champions and thought “wow” that’s not going to be well received! The next day he apologized and the following day he was fired! He was trying to be clever and funny but obviously crossed the line, and this time he paid the price. What may mitigate his inappropriate behavior at times is the ranch he and his wife ran for children with cancer. He spent much of his own money and raised more through fundraisers and donations to provide kids suffering that awful disease with a few days of sunshine and happiness. RIP Mr. Imus.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We both watched and listened to him. Most of the time he was really good, but that Rutgers comment was the death knell even for a shock jock. I read an excellent bio on him this morning in the New York Times Don Imus, Radio Host Who Pushed Boundaries, Dies at 79 - The New York Times. I knew he had the children's ranch but I did not know he gave so much to charity or that he and his wife had adopted one the kids from the ranch.

It would appear that he had always been a loose cannon, but we enjoyed him. Thanks for the memories Imus and condolences to his wife.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-28-2019, 12:02 PM

Radio Legend Don Imus Passes Away at 79, Dared Roast Clintons and Media in Controversial 1996 Speech

Watch the video.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Lived in NY during the 70’s through mid 90’s, heard him early on and also with Stern. Moved to Memphis mid 90’s and meet Don Imus at BB Kings club. Always loved his brand of humor more than Stern. Long time listener, RIP Don.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran member

During the 80's he was a VJ on VH1 and he made me laugh out loud with his (snarky) comments about the singers and musicians in the music videos. I was going through a difficult time and very badly needed to laugh. He helped me get through that period and I will always remember him fondly. R.I.P. Mr. Imus.

kathy
Old 12-28-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage

Truly I never knew so many people cared for Mr Imus. I guess you learn something everyday. I certainly have.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Default Imus is no Stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Always sorry to see anyone pass away. This is one time it will be interesting to see what the re-invented How Weird Stern has to say! R.I.P.

He said things that were even disgusting to me, Imus that is. That's saying a whole lot! Howard Stern was equally bad!

They both were such low life's that even when I was young I didn't care for their act's!

Hope he didn't suffer and sorry for his family.
Imus is no Stern. While both men are in the same industry they are nothing alike. Howard Stern is educated, intelligent and compassionate I cant say that about Mr Imus
Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aallbrand View Post
Imus is no Stern. While both men are in the same industry they are nothing alike. Howard Stern is educated, intelligent and compassionate I cant say that about Mr Imus
Agreed, Howard is compassionate NOW for some self serving reason. I think maybe his own and Robins health scares have helped him see the light.

I never said they were alike. I said it's going to be interesting about Howards reaction. Will it be the Vintage Bury Imus Stern or the sensitive new model Stern? They were both Shock Jocks so in that way they were identical.

I have compassion for the person and family of all but the most evil who pass away. So for Imus R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
r.i.p, show, ago, years, branson

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.