Did we blow it with the lockdown?

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The UK, USA, and Italy were late to their shutdowns. Only China and S. Korea had a TRUE lockdown. S. Korea was early. They are now playing baseball. The US and UK have not resumed such activities.
The first case in China was November 17, of course they are further along the curve.

Plus in China the government can lockdown entire cities plus lock people in their own homes.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:41 AM

A vaccine will be released to the public only when the appropriate individuals can profit from it. Oh well, make a buck anyway you can.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrew View Post
A vaccine will be released to the public only when the appropriate individuals can profit from it. Oh well, make a buck anyway you can.
I just read post after post of thoughtful people who made excellent sense on this thread. I was thinking this is amazing, so many people who are really thinking along scientific lines, so many people who have common sense and an ability to really see and interpret what is going on.

Then I read this, above. Bet you think "they" are keeping the cure to cancer to themselves too.

Anyway, to all the rest who just posted and gave me hope that the majority of people are thinking people who do not swallow whole ANYTHING...…...I just got slowed down. That's an anonymous forum for ya. Oh please don't put me in time out for saying this.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
Interesting read..

Why experts are questioning two hyped antibody studies in coronavirus hotspots | World news | The Guardian

Interesting paragraph..

"Both studies used an antibody test made by Premier Biotech company that has not been approved by the FDA and comes with an acknowledgment that it can record false positives."

Just an excerpt, but explains my reasons for being tired of studies.
It is tiresome, but the studies gave us a valuable piece of information - we are not even close to herd immunity. However, the data are indeed problematic to extrapolate hard numbers from (like death rate). We learn and improve the next study.

Roche now has an antibody kit with an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the FDA that claims 100% sensitivity, 99.8% specificity. There are a dozen other antibody kits out there now with EUAs with reasonably good sens/spec. We could now do a much better antibody study.

I'd like to see "someone" do a comprehensive antibody study in a city or county that was a hot spot, but is now under control and the deaths are at the tail end of the curve. Do it in a few different locations. We could then get a firmer idea of what the actual death rate is.
Closed Thread

Tags
lockdown, professor, months, usa, million

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.