Did you look at other places before picking TV?

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM

We looked at The Legacy and Lakes of Mount Dora. The homes were beautiful, but living there you would be out in the middle of no where. The Villages has so much to offer and being golf cart community was major factor in our decision.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran member
Question Sheetrock

Does anyone know what type of sheetrock is used in TV. Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM

and we live in Florida, and have looked at just about everything here in the last two years. Some have houses I like better for the price, but none of them have the things that we are looking for: We have work odd schedules for years, working weekends and off during the week, and really haven't had much of a social life, and want to fix that. I don't want to drive 30-45 minutes to a hospital when I'm have a heart problem, we cruise, so this location is good, we bowl 2-3 nights a week now, so can't wait to be
getting into that. We ballroom dance, and don't find anything but line dancing offered at most places. We both need to exercise a couple days a week, and so we will go to the newly bought wellness center. We can't find all this anywhere else. We're in, just going to take time to sell here in Tampa and go. Will see you all in 2013!!

Richard and Lee in Tampa.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Take a drive over there sometime and check out the surrounding area......and draw your own conclusions.

Bill
We checked on Solvita also. Like you said one trip through the surrounding area was enough to make up our minds to buy in TV.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Does anyone know what type of sheetrock is used in TV. Thanks
Hi birdawg - welcome to TOTV!!!

I can't tell you a specific brand name/type/manufacturer - we're not in TV at the moment or I could go into our attic and see what's on the backside of the ceiling drywall. But if your question relates to the potential for encountering Chinese drywall in TV homes, I don't think you'll find any substantiated cases of it. I researched the heck out of it before we bought and found nothing substantiating it being used/found in any TV homes.

Bill
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judynsc View Post
Hi Uptown Girl,

This is my 1st time to reply to a post here although I am reading the posts most everyday. I have been to TV about 5 times to visit and can't wait to move there.

We also live in the Chicagoland area (Huntley) in a Del Webb Sun City community which we love but just can't take the winters here anymore. Our house has been up for sale for 23 months and not one offer as yet. It is so discourageing and I do get invious of everyone having so much fun in TV and we are still waiting to join in on all the fun.

) Judy
Hi Judy! I will welcome you as others have welcomed me! (You'll get MORE of these!) Keep the faith and daydream of how happy you will be in TV.... it'll happen for you and me both!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM

We looked in southern Texas first because we were down there 20 years ago to visit my in-laws who retired down there. We really like it then, but boy it's not the same now. Then we did the lifestyle visit and spent 5 days in the Villages. After 2 days we decided to look at some other places around there, one being Summerglen. The minute we drove in I couldn't believe how quiet and dead the place seemed after the Villages. So we still talked to a Rep but than got out of there and didn't go to On Top of The World. We just went back to TV and quit looking. That was it. House is up for sale March 1.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Sage

judynsc - Hi and welcome to posting on TOTV!!

FWIW - - - If you're able to at all, consider lowering the price on your house as much as you can stand. That's what we ended up deciding we needed to do a couple of years back when we sold our previous home in OH (though we built a new home right around the corner from the previous place!!). We had it on the market for nearly a year, trying to get the best money we could out of it. Finally got tired of it all, switched realtors, lowered the price to a level that we KNEW would get it sold......and had a 'no contingencies' contract within 2 weeks! It's a tough and bitter pill to swallow to take less than you feel something should bring, but that appears to be today's reality in the real estate world!!! Fortunately, prices in TV don't seem to be getting hit nearly as hard as what's being experienced in other areas.

In the meantime, keep coming on back to TV and enjoy whatever time you're able to spend there!!

Bill
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Hi Uptown Girl,

This is my 1st time to reply to a post here although I am reading the posts most everyday. I have been to TV about 5 times to visit and can't wait to move there.

We also live in the Chicagoland area (Huntley) in a Del Webb Sun City community which we love but just can't take the winters here anymore. Our house has been up for sale for 23 months and not one offer as yet. It is so discourageing and I do get invious of everyone having so much fun in TV and we are still waiting to join in on all the fun.

) Judy
Hi Judy. We looked at Sun City in Huntley when it first opened and once again a couple of years later. Very nice community but we weren't ready to downsize/retire either time. We have friends up there in the same boat as you. Hang in there you will sell eventually.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Thank you all so much. I appreciate the feedback. You all have said what I was thinking...nothing offered the diversity of TV. As one poster said..I want to get everywhere I need to go in a golf cart! My only hesitancy is that neither of us play golf or have any interest in it and I wanted to know if the other amenities make up for what we would be paying for and not using. We are arriving on the 23rd for 6 days and hope to find our dream house! Our realtor is coming today to tell us what she thinks this place is worth (we have no idea). I hope to meet some of you around and about. I know we will hanging around the dog parks awhile. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hi Uptown Girl,

) Judy
Hi Judy. to TOTV.

I've been on this site long enough to know that many people have researched other retirement communities and found nothing compares to the lifestyle of TV.

Wow 23 months and I was discouraged after a year of no offers in trying to sell my condo. I wanted to be in TV before this horrible winter hit. I hope you, Uptown Girl and myself make 2011 the year we move to TV!!!!

Best wishes for selling your home.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUREK View Post
We checked on Solvita also. Like you said one trip through the surrounding area was enough to make up our minds to buy in TV.
Okay ... save us the drive - what was the surrounding area like?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Sage

PatandBob - Do a Google search on "solvita orlando" and browse through the results. Like any place, you'll find pros and cons regarding it. But look through the results of the Google search and see what you think.

Bill
Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Default Solvito, Orlando

Visited there after LSV here sorry but no comparison to The Villages. Pretty houses but not many recreation centers and amenities. Also did a LSV at the Top Of The World same there. Plus I felt that the Villages has a younger vibe than the other two places. We rented a Patio Villa for 6 weeks and then bought a Ranch and are here just 4 months. Still getting settled but intend to take advantage of all that they offer here. We love it here and so glad not to be back in Pa. with all that snow and ice.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Welcome to you Franjo...

Is there anyone else here new, that hasn't met some of the other villagers that post on this site?

I could get some of us together.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.