DIRECTV subscribers alert

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2020, 11:26 AM
Default DIRECTV subscribers alert

We just received our DIRECTV billing statement. It was $7.37 higher than all previous billings. The cause was a new charge for DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN. We never ordered this. A call to customer service was made and their response was that they thought that we needed the plan. They did agree to refund the charge. Makes one wonder how many customers just pay it.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I just switched from Direct to Dish. Every month I was on the phone because my bill changed. The final straw last month when it went up $37.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyandlon View Post
We just received our DIRECTV billing statement. It was $7.37 higher than all previous billings. The cause was a new charge for DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN. We never ordered this. A call to customer service was made and their response was that they thought that we needed the plan. They did agree to refund the charge. Makes one wonder how many customers just pay it.
I've always had the protection plan since I started with Directv in 2008, back then it was $5.99, it's now $8.99. Fortunately in 11 years I've never had a box break down or get fried by lightning or a satellite dish connection or wiring problem. In fact I've only had two main boxes, the first I only had it replaced because I wanted a DVR, so I got that five years ago. However, without the plan, service calls start at $50 a up depending what is done.

Since AT&T took over Directv, you don't get the great discounts that you could negotiate for and they seem to not care if you leave. The previous two years I got NFL Sunday Ticket for free, this year I had to pay to get it, and that's main reason I stay with Directv. I can watch any NFL game I want and record in HD about 250 hours on my DVR. I think their subscribership a few years ago was 30 million and now I believe they are down to 20 million. Of course the online TV services and those jail-break Firesticks have taken away a lot of business.

If you go to their website you can make an account page and see exactly what you are billed for and you can make changes without even calling or pay your bill online. However, I always prefer to call when I want something changed because they'll say, oh you've been with us since 2008 and then they always try to work things out to your benefit. If you don't like what they offer, ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I just switched from Direct to Dish. Every month I was on the phone because my bill changed. The final straw last month when it went up $37.
Same here, and I love DISH.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-01-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I’ve been with Direct TV for 10 months. I’ve never had a change to the monthly billing amount.
I can’t believe your claim that Direct TV has changed your bill each month without good reason.
I’d guess that someone in your home, perhaps without your knowledge, has been selecting and watching “pay per view” movies and/or tv shows or series.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Wait Grasshopper, you'll see!
Old 01-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Sage
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
I’ve been with Direct TV for 10 months. I’ve never had a change to the monthly billing amount.
I can’t believe your claim that Direct TV has changed your bill each month without good reason.
I’d guess that someone in your home, perhaps without your knowledge, has been selecting and watching “pay per view” movies

and/or tv shows or series.
My husband does not order movies. That was never the increase. Wait until month 13 and watch out!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
My husband does not order movies. That was never the increase. Wait until month 13 and watch out!
You originally said you dropped Direct TV because your bill changed EVERY MONTH not because it changed in month 13. The agreement I have with them is very clear that the price will increase in the 2nd year.

Last edited by Aw Man; 01-02-2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: (Deleted comments unbecoming for the New Year)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I don't have Direct anymore. I did have them for more than a dozen years. As soon as AT&T bought them let's spin the wheel to see what your bill will be every month. Overall the service is great it's the the guy behind the curtain who does this billing razzle dazzle to so many people and most people just pay the bill, they don't really notice. That is exactly what they are counting on, chumps!

I had three months in a row with wildly different bills and hours on the phone with Direct to get squared away and it didn't work. I stream now.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 AM

I agree DirecTV is a RIP off. However, if you are a sports fan, this is the only option, even without the sports packages. We thought about switching to Dish last Sept, but because of a contract problem, one of the main sports channels went away. Glad we stayed with DTV.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:13 AM

I called DirecTV in month 12 and negotiated a 2nd year discount. However, at the end of the contract, I will be going elsewhere. I need reliable TV during storms and satellite doesn’t fill the bill.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 AM
Sage

I did not have a yearly agreement it changed monthly. People with a yearly agreement will see a change on the 13 month.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 AM

Live stream..dump cable.. I did 3 yrs ago.. firestick antenna gets more channels then I watch..
Old 01-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
...I need reliable TV during storms and satellite doesn’t fill the bill.
When you set up your on-screen guide, you probably only selected the HD version of the channels and decided to hide the SD versions along with all those shopping channels. However, when there is bad weather, bring up the menu and hit the '0' button. A window pops up, click on "change favorites list" and then select "All Channels". The channels that were hidden will reappear. The SD version of the channels with reappear, these SD versions are easier for your dish to receive during bad weather. For example if you watching TNTHD on 245, now select the TNT version without the HD also on 245. This works about 95% of the time. In fact during Hurricane Irma my HD channels stayed all through night. I also have at least a couple of hundred hours of movies and shows recorded, so on that rare occasion when the TV does go out, I watch something recorded. However, if you select the non-HD backup channel, chances are very good you'll get your channel back and it's usually only temporary. I've been with them since 2008, so I knew the system backwards and forwards.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
I called DirecTV in month 12 and negotiated a 2nd year discount. However, at the end of the contract, I will be going elsewhere. I need reliable TV during storms and satellite doesn’t fill the bill.
If the storm is bad enough, you'll lose power. And then your TV won't be reliable.

But if you discount actual power outages, I'd say Xfinity is the best bet for internet service, and then "cut the cord" with a Roku or similar, and then sign up for any of the live TV bundles such as Hulu Live or Youtube TV. They run around $50/month and a "better than necessary" internet access will be another $50/month, which allows you to stream and use several devices on the same modem without losing speed on downloads.

You can get internet access for less than $50/month but that particular plan will allow you to add more devices and have a grandkid come with his gaming laptop on vacation and use it during the off-hours when he is left to his own entertainment.

(gaming requires super-fast access).
Closed Thread

Tags
directv, charge, plan, response, made

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.