disney has banned self-obsession sticks...

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Sage

The roller coaster is going up and down or the cart is going round and round and someone is holding a stick with a cell phone pointed at themselves.

Have you ever been on a ride when someone vomited?
Old 06-27-2015, 03:43 PM

The Dangers of Selfie Sticks PSA https://youtu.be/1fmQs37YqXg
Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
It makes no difference to us, as that had been Disney's policy until they got caught. After this occurrence, that Disney said was a mistake, the veteran made a second attempt to buy the same product on-line and was refused again, for the same reason.

Many businesses are jumping on the "We support the Military" bandwagon as a PR ploy and not following through; Disney is only one of those. It's our personal choice to spend our money at establishments that support our own values. We have felt Disney hasn't for years.
Not in my experience. Every year I can get a four day park hopper pass for myself and my family for $177 per person that can be used over many months. I can stay at the military hotel Shades of Green on Disney property and get the same extra hours benefit as those in Disney hotels. Or the Salute to the Military specials they have. Doesn't seem like a ploy in my experience.

I, too, am glad to see the selfie sticks banned. I can't count the number of times I've had to duck to avoid someone sudddenly extending a stick to take a picture as I was walking along. I can imagine the problems they could create on a ride, although I haven't encountered that yet.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas52 View Post
The Dangers of Selfie Sticks PSA https://youtu.be/1fmQs37YqXg
Fun video. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Good, ban cell phones next
That's not going to happen your cell gets you reservations, fast pass, let's you know the Waite on a ride , gets you to the next attraction, and Apple pay for all of your stuff.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I agree that these things are "self obsession sticks" in most cases. But, if I were on vacation to Disney, I would want to bring back photos of myself and loved ones at the parks. These selfie sticks can be useful for that purpose. Most of the time, one person is left out of the picture because they are operating the camera. Unless you want to carry a tripod around and use the camera's timer, the only other way to get photos of you and your loved ones all together would be to pay Disney's absurd prices for them. This may be what's behind the banning of these sticks more than anything else.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:06 AM

i think the biggest issue here is one of safety. As i understand it....people are using these sticks while ON the rides. Not only does that pose a threat to themselves but certainly to others. I don't know about you...but if i am on a roller coaster hanging on for dear life...the last thing i want is a flying stick coming toward me!

Disney is not opposed to cameras....it is the STICK they have banned.

We are Disney people....we use their photographers so we can both be in the pictures. Steve is a photographer....his camera is better and more expensive than the ones the Disney photographers use. Every time we have gone to Disney...people ask him to take their picture with their camera...and he gladly does so.

Sticks that can be dangerous...are not necessary. Yes Disney is about making money....but they are also about safety for their customers.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
That's not going to happen your cell gets you reservations, fast pass, let's you know the Waite on a ride , gets you to the next attraction, and Apple pay for all of your stuff.
Don't forget it's a phone.
And remember back in the day before cell phones. My sons and I would head off to the faster rides and my wife and daughter would head to the kiddie rides and then try to meet for lunch. Sounds easy enough but everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Not in my experience. Every year I can get a four day park hopper pass for myself and my family for $177 per person that can be used over many months. I can stay at the military hotel Shades of Green on Disney property and get the same extra hours benefit as those in Disney hotels. Or the Salute to the Military specials they have. Doesn't seem like a ploy in my experience.

I, too, am glad to see the selfie sticks banned. I can't count the number of times I've had to duck to avoid someone sudddenly extending a stick to take a picture as I was walking along. I can imagine the problems they could create on a ride, although I haven't encountered that yet.
I'm glad to hear you and your family have benefited from Shades of Green. It is a wonderful program, but is not a Disney program; it is funded by the Armed Forces Recreation Center Resorts (AFRC) and operated by the Army in support of all branches of the U.S. Military. Disney benefits substantively by the proximity of Shades of Green to Disney attractions. The discounted tickets are tax-free, as are accommodations at Shades of Green. You may be right and I may be just cynical about Disney, but I am not convinced their motives are in the least bit patriotic.

I do, however, agree totally about the selfie-sticks!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

They were banned for safety reasons, specifically people losing hold of them while on rides. This has nothing to do with Disney wanting to sell more photos.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

I guess you feel cameras are "self-obsession contraptions".
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Selfie sticks and narcissism. Got pictures from cousins who traveled in Europe. They went to London, Paris and Rome. The smartphone pictures consisted of their faces with very little visible in the background to identify the location. Thanks to selfie sticks this has become "all about me generation".
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I guess you feel cameras are "self-obsession contraptions".
only if all you do is take pictures of yourself.....then it becomes the very definition of self obsession!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I agree that these things are "self obsession sticks" in most cases. But, if I were on vacation to Disney, I would want to bring back photos of myself and loved ones at the parks. These selfie sticks can be useful for that purpose. Most of the time, one person is left out of the picture because they are operating the camera. Unless you want to carry a tripod around and use the camera's timer, the only other way to get photos of you and your loved ones all together would be to pay Disney's absurd prices for them. This may be what's behind the banning of these sticks more than anything else.
I have never had a problem asking someone taking a picture of us. Disney isn't running around the park taking family pictures so they sure aren't going to lose money on photos. The selfie stick can be a danger, especially on rides.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Sage

If photo-narcissism is rampant, then visitors from the Far East are the leaders of the movement. So many times we're stopped dead in our tracks while they're posing. It especially seems sacrilegious in a European cathedral.
Closed Thread

Tags
love, image, talk, civilization, dissolution, people, sticks, self-obsession, banned, boobs, walking, obsessed, mote, disney

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.