Do colleges need this many DEI employees?

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2023, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 594 Posts
Default Do colleges need this many DEI employees?

Interesting article on university salaries for DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) employees at the University of Michigan.

There are 142 DEI employees. The highest DEI employee makes $380,000. There are 17 DEI staffers making more than $200,000 in total compensation.

The governor of Michigan makes less than $200,000 and the highest paid governor (New York) only makes $225,000.

I should have majored in DEI.

University of Michigan Spends More Than $18 Million on DEI Staff Salary, Benefits: Report
Old 01-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Article is from National Review………not surprising.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Does that make the facts wrong?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
I never care where any information comes from. I only care if it is true or false.

Do you have any information that the article is inaccurate?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
But is it inaccurate or misleading in some way?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-08-2023, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

All these DEI's seem to do is find things that our forefathers did 100's of years ago, so we can apologize for something we had nothing to do with.
I'm still waiting for the Romans and Viking to apologize for sacking our village!
Old 01-08-2023, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

If they eliminated the Federal student loan program, I wouldn't care how much they paid these people.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:56 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,623 Times in 1,765 Posts

What a terrible waste in many ways!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-08-2023, 12:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Just keep paying for those ridiculous tuitions for them to get paid running those schools
Old 01-08-2023, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Interesting article on university salaries for DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) employees at the University of Michigan.

There are 142 DEI employees. The highest DEI employee makes $380,000. There are 17 DEI staffers making more than $200,000 in total compensation.

The governor of Michigan makes less than $200,000 and the highest paid governor (New York) only makes $225,000.

I should have majored in DEI.

University of Michigan Spends More Than $18 Million on DEI Staff Salary, Benefits: Report
The appropriate number of DIE employees--------ZERO
The appropriate amount of money to spend-----------ZERO
Old 01-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Do you believe that a huge public university should have any interest in having a diverse educational team? Should there be any effort to train and recruit staff who are not white males?
Is there any data which supports the possibility that Black students learn better from Black teachers.. whether it is because they feel a connection to those teachers because of a presumed shared life experience or because a Black teacher might be more likely not be prejudging a Black student?

Is there any data showing that identical papers submitted to a teacher where on one of the identical papers the student is named Jennifer Smith and on the other identical paper it is Shaniqua Jones that the Jennifer paper is consistently given higher grades?

Is the list of employees shown in the National Review article at all evidence of what these employees are doing or just something about their job title. Is the custodian who cleans the office where the vice dean of diversity works, or her secretary.. are those employees listed?

What is the total number of employees on the Ann Arbor campus? What is the total salary and fringe benefit expense of all the employees which might help a casual reader decide whether the itemization of these people is a major expense or a drop in the bucket.

Is justice a good goal for a public institution? The opposite being injustice. Is anyone reading this so blind that they actually think that white males don't have an advantage in America? If you are a white male, quickly answer me, would you rather have lived your life as a Black woman? Would that have been an easier road with fewer obstacles on the whole?
Old 01-08-2023, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Let's be honest here:

The sole purpose of a DIE program is to find lame excuses to move less qualified individuals ahead in the line in front of more qualified individuals, based on who was forcibly moved here 350 years ago, or who got a bum deal working on the pacific railroads, or who thinks they should have been born as a different gender.

There is nothing inherently wrong with diversity, but there is something wrong with passing over more qualified students or workers. I'd even concede that if 2 people were EQUALLY qualified, giving the job to one to enhance diversity would be fine. But that's not what happens and WE ALL KNOW IT.

40+ years ago I was a student member on the admissions committee of my school. There were no "DIE" officers, the gentleman was called a "minority affairs officer". He sat there and argued admission for every minority, even with a 1.6 GPA and 32 on the MCATs. 1.6!!!!!. A D or F in every science and math course he took. Most colleges won't graduate anyone with less than a 2.0. Unbelievable, and now it's far , far worse.

And to add to the joy, once someone has secured a position in the name of diversity, it's almost impossible to fire them. My son directs a department of over 170, and has never been able to fire a "DIE" employee except in the extreme case of a breach of national security, and even then it was difficult.

Bottom line, in and of itself there is nothing wrong with diversity and inclusion, but as it is being practiced today, it will lead to nothing but mediocrity and failure. Passing over the more qualified candidates is the injustice, not vice versa.

Last edited by golfing eagles; 01-08-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
dei, makes, employees, highest, governor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.