Do multiple ads sway your opinion

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I don't really watch much TV at all. I have an ad-blocker on my web browser, and I put any "card stock" that comes in the mail, directly into the recycle bin without looking at it. Since I'm registered as "unaffiliated," I rarely get any targeted ads, because they're looking to target mostly Democrats and Republicans - and I'm neither. Anyone knocking on my door looking to tell me about their campaign is sternly invited to get off my property before I call the police and press charges for trespassing. It keeps them from coming back for round 2.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This raises an interesting point. This past Spring I had severe seasonal allergies. My cardiologist recommended Zyrtec. Zyrtec costs an arm and a leg for 30 tabs. Shortly after that I had an appointment with my primary care and told him about it, he is on a tear to bring drug prices down and he told me NEVER to buy brand name. Get onto Google and find the generic name for drug and buy that. In my case I could buy 365 tabs for $14.00 from Amazon.

To add insult to injury Zyrtec proved to be too powerful for me so I now have about 27 tabs of Zyrtec sitting in the closet!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
This raises an interesting point. This past Spring I had severe seasonal allergies. My cardiologist recommended Zyrtec. Zyrtec costs an arm and a leg for 30 tabs. Shortly after that I had an appointment with my primary care and told him about it, he is on a tear to bring drug prices down and he told me NEVER to buy brand name. Get onto Google and find the generic name for drug and buy that. In my case I could buy 365 tabs for $14.00 from Amazon.

To add insult to injury Zyrtec proved to be too powerful for me so I now have about 27 tabs of Zyrtec sitting in the closet!
You can break the Zyrtec in half and take just half at a time if it's too powerful for you. Johnson & Johnson manufactures Zyrtec. It also manufactures most of the Cetirizine (the generic name of Zyrtec) on the market in "generic" or "store brand" bottles.

Many of the generics and store brands are manufactured by the same pharmaceutical companies that manufacture the brand names. Walgreens isn't a pharmaceutical company. It doesn't actually manufacture ANY medicines at all. Every single Walgreens-labelled medicine is made by some other company. It's entirely possible that their aspirin IS Bayer, but with the Walgreens label.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I just purchased some Claritin tablets at Walmart. The Claritin brand tablets were a dollar each. But, I bought the Walmart "Equate" brand for 13 cents each.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I like the well done funny ads and may watch them quite often. I usually tape whatever I am going to watch and just fast forward any type of ads unless it is clever and creative. And I would not even be able to tell you what the ad was about in many of these. Often it is unclear what they are selling.

Political ads are most of the time poorly done so if I have seen them once then that is enough.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I submit we are not the demographic that the ads are directed to. Those generations behind us make decisions on sound bites and the shorter the better. They will look to their phones and tablets since they don't watch a lot of television but television will still be used just in case the target demographic is watching, especially at a sports bar or other group gatherings. We are just a casualty of their marketing....and that can be political or toothpaste.
Here in the Villages we are the target market for things like hearing aids, walk in showers, ED treatment, cosmetic surgery, joint replacement, golf carts, etc.... We are still a target, just not for the products and services typically advertised on National Television. And we are all a target market for our ability to vote, because a very high percentage of seniors exercise their right to vote, and because we live in the largest swing state in the country.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

The ONLY time I actually watch a commercial on TV is during the Super Bowl. period. If watching LIVE TV, example golf, I tend to switch to another channel or such. But most times I DVR and watch a show later - FForwarding (4X) thru the commercials. I think the ONLY things I'd watch LIVE is another moon landing or the last hour of the World Series, Golf Final, Stanley Cup 7th game 3rd Period - as last night.

We have DirecTV and Netflix - watch TV almost always after 5PM only.

Political ads... OMG! THE WORST!!! Will Never spend 1 second of my attention on them - HATE!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Mass advertising never really works on intelligent people.

Anyone looking to buy:
An Alien wedge
"AJ Reveals the Truth About Golf."
Kallassy's Swing Magic trainer.
A Medicus Dual-Hinge Driver.
A Tight Lies fairway wood.
A Bender Stick
A Stand up Putter
A HammerX driver
Plus hundreds of 'Greater Distance,' 'Unsliceable' 'Straight as an Arrow' golf balls.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

Anyone looking to buy:
An Alien wedge
A Bender Stick
A Stand up Putter
A HammerX driver
Plus hundreds of 'Greater Distance,' 'Unsliceable' 'Straight as an Arrow' golf balls.
I like the golf ball commercial that says it is "the ball that changed the ball". Really?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

Anyone looking to buy:
An Alien wedge
A Bender Stick
A Stand up Putter
A HammerX driver
I respectfully...disagree.

Hang on a minute, while I prove it by digging around to find my...Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

1. Zyrtec has been available in generic and "drug store brand" for a couple of years now, and with B1G1 and "Extra Bucks" promotions from CVS and Walgreens, is actually very affordable. EDITED TO ADD: I just did a google search on the generic ceterazine hcl, 10mg, 30 tablets. You can get a bottle at Target for $7.19. Not as good at 365 for $14 but if you only want 30 at a time, you pay more per tablet. That's just the nature of retail.

2. You can take half a Zyrtec if a full one is too strong. That'd double your value and give you what you need. Half a zyrtec is actually the prescribed dose for cats with airborne allergies.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 06-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Here in the Villages we are the target market for things like hearing aids, walk in showers, ED treatment, cosmetic surgery, joint replacement, golf carts, etc.... We are still a target, just not for the products and services typically advertised on National Television.
It's not like once I passed 65 I stopped buying home goods, groceries, personal care products, clothes, tires, insurance, electronics, etc. And I have more discretionary income now to boot.

If any overall group is more likely to watch TV show live, including commercials, it's seniors. You'd think advertisers would be dying to reach us instead of ignoring and ghettoizing us!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
It's not like once I passed 65 I stopped buying home goods, groceries, personal care products, clothes, tires, insurance, electronics, etc. And I have more discretionary income now to boot.

If any overall group is more likely to watch TV show live, including commercials, it's seniors. You'd think advertisers would be dying to reach us instead of ignoring and ghettoizing us!
That's an interesting point. In fact, I read an article today that advertisers are considering changing a long standing practice of targeting the age group that is currently known as Millennials, because most of them don't have any money and are living pay check to pay check. Also, retailers that sell "do it yourself" products such as the Home Depot ignore that age group all together because very few of them would ever attempt to fix something.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Less air time available for Morgan & Morgan.
Hah -- and more for Attorney Dan Newlin!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hah -- and more for Attorney Dan Newlin!
But Dan got me $500,000,097 when somebody hit my 7 year old Jeep.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
ads, funds, dvr, accomplish, waste

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.