Do multiple ads sway your opinion

Do multiple ads sway your opinion

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There are lots of examples of how advertising works. At Walgreens, a bottle of 100 plain aspirin tablets will cost you seven times as much if you choose the Bayer brand instead of the Walgreens brand. But, apparently Bayer can charge that much because they spend millions on advertising.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage

Is it really illegal? I could not find anywhere in Florida law that it was for political purposes.
Sponsored Links
Alleve or ???
Old 04-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Question Alleve or ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There are lots of examples." of how advertising works. At Walgreens, a bottle of 100 plain aspirin tablets will cost you seven times as much if you choose the Bayer brand instead of the Walgreens brand. But, apparently, Bayer can charge that much because they spend millions on advertising.

There are many people who will only buy the brand name or the "real" name of the product, i.e., "Bayer" or as you said, "Walgreen's aspirin" by name. I have a friend who will only buy "Alleve" while I spend a pittance of what Alleve costs for "Naproxen."

I'm not really sure that kind of mindset is a product of advertising, but I'm also not sure that advertising doesn't have something to do with it either.

Why do many hospitals dispense only "Bayer?" It has to go beyond advertising and we -- the public -- are not privy to or aware of the "real" story. Even with some kind of "deal," the price they pay for Bayer still has to be more than what, say, Walgreen's aspirin would cost.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
There are many people who will only buy the brand name or the "real" name of the product, i.e., "Bayer" or as you said, "Walgreen's aspirin" by name. I have a friend who will only buy "Alleve" while I spend a pittance of what Alleve costs for "Naproxen."

I'm not really sure that kind of mindset is a product of advertising, but I'm also not sure that advertising doesn't have something to do with it either.

Why do many hospitals dispense only "Bayer?" It has to go beyond advertising and we -- the public -- are not privy to or aware of the "real" story. Even with some kind of "deal," the price they pay for Bayer still has to be more than what, say, Walgreen's aspirin would cost.
It is interesting that a lot of people think that, if they buy Walgreens aspirin, they are buying a generic product, but, if they buy Bayer aspirin, they are buying a brand name. Not true. Bayer and Walgreens are both brand names and neither company holds a patent on aspirin. Any company can sell aspirin and put their name on it. I suspect that Bayer pays hospitals to use their aspirin as part of their marketing plan.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM

True. Companies cannot do good, unless they do well.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I don't really watch much TV at all. I have an ad-blocker on my web browser, and I put any "card stock" that comes in the mail, directly into the recycle bin without looking at it. Since I'm registered as "unaffiliated," I rarely get any targeted ads, because they're looking to target mostly Democrats and Republicans - and I'm neither. Anyone knocking on my door looking to tell me about their campaign is sternly invited to get off my property before I call the police and press charges for trespassing. It keeps them from coming back for round 2.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage

This raises an interesting point. This past Spring I had severe seasonal allergies. My cardiologist recommended Zyrtec. Zyrtec costs an arm and a leg for 30 tabs. Shortly after that I had an appointment with my primary care and told him about it, he is on a tear to bring drug prices down and he told me NEVER to buy brand name. Get onto Google and find the generic name for drug and buy that. In my case I could buy 365 tabs for $14.00 from Amazon.

To add insult to injury Zyrtec proved to be too powerful for me so I now have about 27 tabs of Zyrtec sitting in the closet!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
This raises an interesting point. This past Spring I had severe seasonal allergies. My cardiologist recommended Zyrtec. Zyrtec costs an arm and a leg for 30 tabs. Shortly after that I had an appointment with my primary care and told him about it, he is on a tear to bring drug prices down and he told me NEVER to buy brand name. Get onto Google and find the generic name for drug and buy that. In my case I could buy 365 tabs for $14.00 from Amazon.

To add insult to injury Zyrtec proved to be too powerful for me so I now have about 27 tabs of Zyrtec sitting in the closet!
You can break the Zyrtec in half and take just half at a time if it's too powerful for you. Johnson & Johnson manufactures Zyrtec. It also manufactures most of the Cetirizine (the generic name of Zyrtec) on the market in "generic" or "store brand" bottles.

Many of the generics and store brands are manufactured by the same pharmaceutical companies that manufacture the brand names. Walgreens isn't a pharmaceutical company. It doesn't actually manufacture ANY medicines at all. Every single Walgreens-labelled medicine is made by some other company. It's entirely possible that their aspirin IS Bayer, but with the Walgreens label.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I just purchased some Claritin tablets at Walmart. The Claritin brand tablets were a dollar each. But, I bought the Walmart "Equate" brand for 13 cents each.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage

I like the well done funny ads and may watch them quite often. I usually tape whatever I am going to watch and just fast forward any type of ads unless it is clever and creative. And I would not even be able to tell you what the ad was about in many of these. Often it is unclear what they are selling.

Political ads are most of the time poorly done so if I have seen them once then that is enough.

Tags
ads, funds, dvr, accomplish, waste