Do not call list

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Do not call list

Just received a recorded message from IEPAC whoever they are 8:49 PM.

We signed up to federal do not call list, but it seems to be useless. Seems like the gates are open for anyone to call at any time with no way to stop. Land line or cell phone.

Yes, I know you do not need to pick it up, but why the pretense that Do Not Call works?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

We signed up to federal do not call list, but it seems to be useless. Seems like the gates are open for anyone to call at any time with no way to stop. Land line or cell phone.

Yes, I know you do not need to pick it up, but why the pretense that Do Not Call works?
That's why just passing a law does not always solve the problem. Only those that follow the laws comply.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

It's kinda like the gun laws, criminals ignore the do not call laws.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Have had success with nomorobo.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 PM
Platinum member

Nomorobo helps and then when one slips thru I block the # on my landline.
You're right the donotcalllist is useless.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

I thought that everyone already knew that the Federal do not call list was a joke. Apparently there is no enforcement. I have reported violators with detailed information, but have never received any feedback. So, why report a violator if the Federal government doesn't even let you know if they even received the information you sent?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-11-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

anything government is useless
Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I registered my phones on the government no call list. Now I constantly get more calls!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

What should really be made illegal is phone number spoofing!!!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
What should really be made illegal is phone number spoofing!!!
Yes. Phone providers are regulated by the Federal Government. They should require that all phone customers allow their real name and number to display on the caller ID. This would solve the problem, but apparently the phone providers don't want it to happen because of the money they make on telemarketers. I find it incredible that every person in the country must suffer so that phone providers and telemarketers can make money.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes. Phone providers are regulated by the Federal Government. They should require that all phone customers allow their real name and number to display on the caller ID. This would solve the problem, but apparently the phone providers don't want it to happen because of the money they make on telemarketers. I find it incredible that every person in the country must suffer so that phone providers and telemarketers can make money.
I don't suffer, I just don't answer the phone. That's why I have voicemail. I will call them back if necessary.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Talking What I have to say !!!

If the FCC and FTC would do their jobs, this could stop. They should go after the companies that hire the calling companies, this would stop. These scammers go all over the country buying blocks of telephone numbers and then feed them into their robo computers. Forget the robo companies and get the companies who write the checks and this mess WILL stop...
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Yes, the Do Not Call list is useless.....too many exceptions in the regulations.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Wow, lot of assumptions in there....including that there could require phone customers allow their real name and number to display on caller ID. How many resources would that require and are you willing to pay a surcharge to fund that? Utopia does not exist and none of us will be willing to pay for Utopia if it did. Telemarketers make money on us, if they didn't the calls would stop. There is technology to slow them down or stop the calls from coming through but if you wait for the government to solve the problem.....well you know.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

My understanding is that political groups and charities can call anyone, even numbers on the Do Not Call list.

Most of the spam calls are made using VOIP (Internet) lines, often originating overseas, and difficult to trace. The number that shows up on your caller ID is not the number they are calling from. The spammers can make any number display, which is why you will frequently see an incoming call that appears to be coming from the same prefix as yours. They want you to think a "neighbor" is calling you so you will answer it. You can add it to your list of blocked numbers but it won't help much because next time they will display a different number.

There must be a lot of people buying what they are selling or they would stop calling.

I use an app called Hiya on my iPhone which works well. I think there is an annual fee of ten bucks or something.

kathy
Closed Thread

Tags
call, list, time, line, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.