Just Bought a New TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Just Bought a New TV

So I'm sitting here watching the local news when a segment that comes on daily "Don't waste your money". And the guy says tv's will drop in price 10-18% by Jan 08. I just bought the :edit: thing last night after previously unloading the 9 mm upon watching the last episode of Sopranos. (Not really but felt like it) Remember the black out ending? Really didn't need to hear this. Now I need to contact DISH to find out if the equipment I've got is compatible with the tv. Whatever happened to 9" B&W Philco consoles that were the size of a couch.

Steve
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Default Re: Just Bought a New TV

Steve -
I didn't need that. I just bought my wife a new 32" LCD HDTV for her birthday. Now I suppose I'll see it advertised for $200 less any day. Great. BTW - I only needed 5 rounds from my 9mm to totally destroy my tv after the Sopranos blackout. All those years devoted to that show, leading up to that. : :

Ron
Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

Oh well such is life Ron. Just got off the phone with DISH and my bill will increase $11 per month. 1st he said $20, then 16, then 11. I told him to keep figuring so he'll have to pay me. Nice try but .... They'll be out this Saturday between 8-12 to hook up/move everything. Good. I didn't feel like moving the old tv anyway. And ya know something Ron, we're not even in TV yet. I tried to talk my wife out of purchasing anything until we relocate. (See 1st sentence)

Steve
Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Sage

A 32" LCD flatscreen weighs about 30 lbs

A 32" Conventional TV weighs about 120 lbs

nuff said
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage

and, Osh, if you do end up moving to the Villages and paying a moving company...when you pay by the pound, you'll pay more to move them than they are worth. Anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar a pound to move stuff, depending on packing options, distance, fuel surcharges, time of the year, etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Eternal Member

I bought my big 35" RCA down. It was before the Plasma/LCD invasion. When I decided to go for the 42" LCD, I was wondering how I was going to get rid of the beast. I asked my lawn guy if he wanted it (For free) and he came over and took it out so I could put the LCD in the next day.

Last month I decided to get the box so I could do HDTV. Then the fun began. I use Closed Caption (CC). It took several trips to the internet to figure that one out. Still not happy because I cannot get the block letters like the non-HDTV stations. Am going to to a chat with COMCAST to see if they can help - but I doubt it. CC is a mystery to them.

Have you noticed that whenever they put out new technology, they screw up the great technology that preceded the new stuff? PIC-in-PIC? I loved PIC-in-PIC on my RCA. I find that that is only available in tube TVs. Station recall? Only on some remotes. Everything from recording programs to watching them changes every time you upgrade your systems.

Just wanted to say my piece. Thanks for reading.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:41 PM

zcave..

When you finally get the answer to CC please let me know. We have a DLP HD..hooked up to Comcast. We want CC when my step-father comes down in March.

We haven't figured out the magic word for it yet. A call to comcast is up and coming..knowing they might not have the answer to our problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Eternal Member

There is a ''secret'' setting on the Comcast Motorola DCT3412 HDTV converter box to turn on CC for HD. Turn the TV on and the converter box off. Go to the front panel of the converter box and press Menu. Arrow down to Closed Caption and press the right arrow to get the enabled tag. Service Selection should be CC1. I am still playing with the other settings. Arrow down and change Settings to USER and press Power to save the settings.

This is only for the HD stations. The others are set via your TV.

I sent you a private note if you want the rest of the settings.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

zcaveman, I have an LCD tv and have pic in pic.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
zcaveman, I have an LCD tv and have pic in pic.
Just out of curiosity - what brand/model is it? Too late for now but down the road.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 PM

If you have DISH, you get pip in a picture if you use SINGLE MODE..... I just bought a 50" HDTV SAmsung DLP of the internet for $1300 no shipping. It has a super picture 1080P............ Even the none HD is bright clear .. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Of course Dish was a $20 a month up charge for HDTV channels.. Kinda a waste.. Mostly Sports
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Eternal Member

I just upgraded to the Comcast DVR/HDTV service. I looks like it cost me $26.90 a month.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.