Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I miss Walter Cronkite.

I read NPR.com.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Gold member

Real unbiased news is hard to find, but opinions disguised as news seem to be plentiful.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
When 6 corporations own 90% of the media they can easily force feed a narrative..
While your numbers are outdated (I think your data is from 2012 or earlier), your point is not. It is basically true, no matter the exact numbers,and inevitable in the age of consolidation.

My primary source of news is the NY TIMES....solely owned by the same company (family) since before 1900. It is public traded but if you read up on its journalistic standards and operations, it is truly a great newspaper.

Washington Post, which is another of my favorites is now owned by Jeff Bezoz (NOT owned by Amazon as many think)

Those are my two favorites simply because of their journalistic principals and ideals.

I hardily endorse relying on multiple sources for your NEWS but understanding that many of the so called news sources are full of editorial commentary only, and disguised as news.

It is actually very easy to determine who is reporting news and who is "carrying water" for a particular viewpoint.

MY opinion is that folks search for a "news source" that makes them feel good, not informed or accurate, but feel good and stick with that source no matter what.

I suggest everyone read up on the problems inherent with using any social media, like Facebook, as a news source. You welcome into your mind who knows what.

Last edited by Bucco; 10-23-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Where is Walter??
Old 10-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Kind of hard to argue when it's a VIDEO AND AUDIO!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I think that most real journalists report the news accurately.
I totally agree.

Quote:
The reason many people distrust the truth in the news is because of the distortions and outright untruths that some people spread to further their own agenda and sow seeds of doubt about the truth.
I agree again.

I believe a big problem is with how many people cannot distinguish between those who report the news (real journalists) and those who may have a show on a supposed news channel...but is purely a show to push their opinion/bias.

If only more folks would even try and understand the difference, then do their own research with legitimate sources...to try and truly understand the issue(s).

But hey, that takes a modicum of work/effort for so many, so why do it when it's so much easier to just have someone else... tell you what to think?

And gosh forbid, how mortifying would it be to find out...that the facts might not support your view'?

Can't be having any of that.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Don Lemon is a journalist and a news anchor. I just Googled it.
How about Hannity, VanSusteren, and Carlson
Old 10-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Kind of hard to argue when it's a VIDEO AND AUDIO!

I know...right?

And yet, there are a lot of people saying..."don't really believe what you just actually saw & heard."

Unbelievable.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I totally agree.

I agree again.

I believe a big problem is with how many people cannot distinguish between those who report the news (real journalists) and those who may have a show on a supposed news channel...but is purely a show to push their opinion/bias.

If only more folks would even try and understand the difference, then do their own research with legitimate sources...to try and truly understand the issue(s).

But hey, that takes a modicum of work/effort for so many, so why do it when it's so much easier to just have someone else... tell you what to think?

And gosh forbid, how mortifying would it be to find out...that the facts might not support your view'?

Can't be having any of that.
The key is ...

"If only more folks would even try and understand the difference, then do their own research with legitimate sources...to try and truly understand the issue(s)."

So much in your sentence.....

First, TRYING to understand will lead you to the truth in most cases. Doing research means you actually care about the issue, and FINALLY.......the word ISSUE. We seem to have lost sight of identifying issues, and address only people. Make sure you understand what the issue is a and don't allow your self to be inundated with "side" stories.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
How about Hannity, VanSusteren, and Carlson
I Googled them also. They are all described as "commentators", not journalists.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I miss Walter Cronkite.

I read NPR.com.
Although I used to watch him his bias was apparent.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-23-2019, 07:18 PM
Default It’s all biased...

All media is biased. It is so obvious. There’s always been bias but now it seems to have turned to agenda pushing in the guise of news. Sometimes i think 5 every day Americans would make better experts on these channels and shows. These people focus on the stupidest things and they think they are intellectuals. They’ ve been living in new york or Washington so long, it’s group think and the group you follow depends on your party. We need more channels outside of New York and DC.

And the great ny times and washington post are biased. I prefer the wall st journal... also has some implicit bias but a bit less.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Don Lemon is a journalist and a news anchor. I just Googled it.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-23-2019, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Second the Wall St Journal but only for its economic analysis. I think it’s political views are a bit biased. Sort of like Le Figaro, if you read French. 30,000 expats in France can vote in the presidential election.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-23-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I read NPR.com.

NPR is an excellent source.

I have a neighbor, who talks like she is an expert on everything but, is actually oblivious/allergic to facts and the truth even when shown to her, asked when I once mentioned them..."what is a NPR?"
Closed Thread

Tags
news, things, trust, lost, report

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.