Do you check your car's engine oil after servicing?

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage
Default Do you check your car's engine oil after servicing?

I was in the habit of checking it but didn't get around to it last October. So I drove around for 6 months with the oil overfilled. The oil on the dipstick was about a little over an inch above the fill line. When did I check it? I checked it the morning I was due to go to the dealership for another oil change.

When I got to Ocala, I was a little late so, in the rush, I forgot to mention that it had been overfilled the previous time. They changed my oil promptly and I paid my bill. Then I thought, "I better check the oil level before I leave." I checked it and it was overfilled by roughly the same amount as last time.

So I told the service advisor and she said she would have the "mechanic" come out to check it. He came out and agreed that it was overfilled. Both he and the service advisor blamed it on the equipment that fills the oil automatically. They said the equipment is not very accurate. She said they are due to get all new equipment at some future time.

If they know the equipment isn't accurate, shouldn't they check the oil before giving the car to the customer? Then drain out the excess if there's too much oil? But, logically, if every car is being overfilled, the mechanic wouldn't be able to keep up with all the appointments for oil changes. It took him an extra 10 to15 minutes to take my car back into the garage and drain out the excess oil. So, I assume, everyone is leaving the dealership with too much engine oil.

And the car's manual says, "WARNING: do not overfill oil, overfilling may cause engine damage."

I called the service line manager and he said he will check into it and call me back but hasn't done so yet.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Gold member

Very good point.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

The manual is correct about overfilling. The oil will tend to foam when over filled, and may lead to oil starvation if the foaming gets too bad and the foam is drawn into the oil pump.
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I was in the habit of checking it but didn't get around to it last October. So I drove around for 6 months with the oil overfilled. The oil on the dipstick was about a little over an inch above the fill line. When did I check it? I checked it the morning I was due to go to the dealership for another oil change.

When I got to Ocala, I was a little late so, in the rush, I forgot to mention that it had been overfilled the previous time. They changed my oil promptly and I paid my bill. Then I thought, "I better check the oil level before I leave." I checked it and it was overfilled by roughly the same amount as last time.

So I told the service advisor and she said she would have the "mechanic" come out to check it. He came out and agreed that it was overfilled. Both he and the service advisor blamed it on the equipment that fills the oil automatically. They said the equipment is not very accurate. She said they are due to get all new equipment at some future time.

If they know the equipment isn't accurate, shouldn't they check the oil before giving the car to the customer? Then drain out the excess if there's too much oil? But, logically, if every car is being overfilled, the mechanic wouldn't be able to keep up with all the appointments for oil changes. It took him an extra 10 to15 minutes to take my car back into the garage and drain out the excess oil. So, I assume, everyone is leaving the dealership with too much engine oil.

And the car's manual says, "WARNING: do not overfill oil, overfilling may cause engine damage."

I called the service line manager and he said he will check into it and call me back but hasn't done so yet.
Are you suggesting its a problem with all service centers or just the one that does your work? and what service center do you use?
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

BTW I forgot to ask where did this happen?
Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Yes, I agree this is very important to check up on all servicing. I had car under warranty few years back. I could of done the servicing (in this case changing the transmission fluid) myself. But, wanted to go on trip and decided to let the dealer do it. Assuming also the dealers do no wrong! (Oxymoron) I didn't check fluid level. Got about mile down the road and smoke was pouring out the back like steam engine. Pulled over and transmission fluid was spudded every where in the engine bay. Pulled the dip stick out (with it running ) and it was way over serviced. Took it back and I was ****ed. After several choice words with highest ranking person there. It was determined the same thing! It was the servicing machine fault and the mechanic didn't check the level AFTER he was done! So same OLD story I see probably repeated thousand time when caught. IMO That dealership has POOR service if machanic don't check levels after service! I hope this wasn't the Honda dealership.

Amazing their still have the same old inaccurate bulk fluid equipment. My icendent was over 25 years ago.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Sage

I can tell you another story about oil changes. Dealers sometimes just dump 5 quarts in even if the vehicle only hold 4 quarts. IMO they are in such rush or just don't know or don't take the time to find out. My example was 2003 dodge v6 pickup. The v6 only holds 4 quarts. After the dealership serviced it for my aunt , I checked it when visiting. It also was way over the full mark. I looked in the manual said it held 4 quarts. Drained over quart out. Again they used the bulk servicing inaccurate machine and over serviced it at the wrong Level. Over servicing can cause the engine to over heat and sluggish throttle response along with lots of other possible serious problems. Over pressurization and blowing gaskets on closed oiling system probably could be one of the more costly ones.

I bet there are thousands out there that have no clue what their oil level is let alone if the service they got was done right?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
. Both he and the service advisor blamed it on the equipment that fills the oil automatically. They said the equipment is not very accurate. She said they are due to get all new equipment at some future time.
They don't pour 4 quarts of oil in from 4 separate quart containers but just pump it in from a hose which is suppose to regulate the correct amount. The problem is that the mechanic doesn't check his work and blaming on the equipment is wrong and it is up to the mechanic to pull the dip stick and check his work.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 PM

This is why I do my own work (such as oil changes....) on both the car and golf cart in the garage at home. Easy and I know it is done right.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

I do not allow bulk oil in my vehicles.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

An overfilled oil pan could also be a sign of failing to change the oil filter. Most filters absorb at least 1/2 qt of oil, many up to a quart. No filter change, but dump in the specified amount of oil.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I do not allow bulk oil in my vehicles.
If you had you oil changed at dealership you got oil from 55 gallon drum (bulk)
Pumped in by air operated pump with the inaccurate gauge that reads in quarts.

Either at dealership or joe blows fast oil change you need to check the level before you leave the business. I say to the desk jockey, let's see how good job your dealership done and check it with him watching before I pay.

I would also be Leary of the dealerships that offer FREE oil changed on New cars.
I would make sure the oil and filter was changed (course one would have to have clue) Some have been caught not changing the oil knowing that most people trade in 2 to 4 years.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Gold member

I guess you check the lug nuts when you have your tires rotated or replaced...check that the oil filter is on properly and the oil pan plug is snug...No?!? They are all just as important as the oil level...strange....
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Did not realize this could be a problem.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
This is why I do my own work (such as oil changes....) on both the car and golf cart in the garage at home. Easy and I know it is done right.
Same here. I've always changed my own oil so I know it's done right.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.