Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Do you purchase a product or service because (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/do-you-purchase-product-service-because-325796/)

retiredguy123 10-31-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John-US (Post 2023597)
Coupons and Advertising is done to MOVE merchandise. (period end of story)

If you are using a coupon the retailer realized they have too much or it's out of season.. and welp here is 10% off to get this down the road- it's called steering folks. (avoid it and buy ONLY what you need) like toilet paper and lysol. (buy as much as your kia can hold)

Huh? There are coupons for almost everything, not just overstock and out of season stuff.

MidWestIA 10-31-2021 06:49 AM

celeb

That's my 1st clue the product isn't good enough to sell on it's merits

John-US 10-31-2021 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=retiredguy123;2023609]Huh? There are coupons for almost everything, not just overstock and out of season stuff.[/QUOTE

So it's free for retailers to create marketing campaigns and coupons? - you don't own a bridge in Brooklyn do you?

John-US 10-31-2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevillages2013 (Post 2023603)
No but I will avoid buying a product or service because of the celebrity they have advertising it. No more sandwiches made by a certain underground railway company because of their futbol spokesperson and definitely no more anything with a swoosh on it because of their relationship with a former football player that tends to kneel when he sees our flag or hears our great national anthem. My golf bag went to the curb because of the symbol on it. That’s how I roll

More of this PLEASE! USA USA USA

Cupcake57 10-31-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 2023374)
some celebrity is telling you how great it is? In the past there was the picture of a famous athlete on the Wheaties box but the for last few years there seem to be celebrities in all sorts of commercials for all kinds of products or services.
Does this type of endorsement affect your decision to purchase it? I don't think I've ever bought anything because some celebrity told me to buy it. I imagine they pay these celebrities a significant fee for doing the commercial but I wonder if it really increases sales.

I think celebrity endorsements are ridiculous! I just tell myself- "well, Jimmy JJ Walker must of had a boat payment!" Martha Stewart selling cat litter, a Kardashian selling underwear, Pat Boone and Miley Cyrus in a bubble bath (thankfully not the same bubble bath) etc etc-do they really need more money?

JMintzer 10-31-2021 07:30 AM

I never pay attention to celebrities, but for some reason, I have all of these gold and silver coins, lying around...

https://adland.tv/sites/default/file...liamdavane.jpg

toeser 10-31-2021 07:33 AM

Celebrity endorsements mean zip, zero, nada to me.

DeanFL 10-31-2021 07:35 AM

First, I never watch commercials - DVR is the thing. I fastforward thru them. Happened to see a flash of Tom Brady in one, and stopped to rewind. He was doing a SUBWAY commercial. OMG-Really??? His diet certainly does NOT include Subway or anything close. Altho I admire the G.O.A.T. - please, really. That said if I do happen to see Celeb endorsements, that's an "avoid at all costs' for me. I don't even eat jello after the Bill Cosby thing....

Joe C. 10-31-2021 08:37 AM

I don't pay much attention to celebrities. They live in "la la land", and I put them beneath used car salesmen and shyster lawyers on the totem pole. As far as buying whatever they are advertising.......I just don't.

Heyitsrick 10-31-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

In the past there was the picture of a famous athlete on the Wheaties box but the for last few years there seem to be celebrities in all sorts of commercials for all kinds of products or services.

I seem to recall there were photos of Bruce Jenner on Wheaties boxes back in the day. Look how that turned out.

Decadeofdave 10-31-2021 11:32 AM

Parental talk to us kids in 1965, believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear.

tophcfa 10-31-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

some celebrity is telling you how great it is? In the past there was the picture of a famous athlete on the Wheaties box but the for last few years there seem to be celebrities in all sorts of commercials for all kinds of products or services.
Does this type of endorsement affect your decision to purchase it? I don't think I've ever bought anything because some celebrity told me to buy it. I imagine they pay these celebrities a significant fee for doing the commercial but I wonder if it really increases sales.

No, I wouldn’t. The only exception might be if the product was endorsed by the GOAT, Tom Brady. After all, I wrote him in when I voted for the President in 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020.

La lamy 10-31-2021 12:50 PM

No one affects my decisions. Zero need for anybody's persuasions.

golfing eagles 10-31-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

They're using an old Jedi mind trick-----but it only works on the weak-minded:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Westie Man 10-31-2021 01:56 PM

Bill Cosby made me buy

another barfbarf brand of pudding