Do you remember the first time you flew?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

Nope! I was 3 months old and had just been adopted. Flew from Montreal, Canada to LaGuardia in Queens, NY. That was January 2, 1951. Didn't fly again until 1962 when we went from NYC to Tampa on National Airlines to visit my grandparents in Sarasota (which didn't have an airport then). We got all dressed up to go on the plane, it was that big a deal.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

Wow, I can't believe how many of you remember the type of plane it was! Nowadays I may pay attention to the menu if there even is a meal and if the airline lets you order in advance, but I still wouldn't know a DC from a PC!

Quote:
That 9 hour flight seemed to last forever but when we flew into Venice seeing that beautiful city from the air is a memory that has remained etched in my brain for 40 plus years and sparked my love for travel which I do every chance I get.
What a lovely memory for you. Another beautiful (and slightly terrifying) approach was to the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong. Right between the skyscrapers!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM

First time was in 1961 on an American Airlines four engine prop from Nashville to Columbus, Ohio.

At the time we had a small toy fox terrier named Pepper. They served lunch on the flight and my 3 or 4 year old brother asked what the small salt and pepper shakers were. When my father told him this one is salt and and this one is pepper, he said "how did they get him in there?". I've never let him forget that one.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
First time was in 1961 on an American Airlines four engine prop from Nashville to Columbus, Ohio.

At the time we had a small toy fox terrier named Pepper. They served lunch on the flight and my 3 or 4 year old brother asked what the small salt and pepper shakers were. When my father told him this one is salt and and this one is pepper, he said "how did they get him in there?". I've never let him forget that one.
This reminds me of a similar story. It's from an NPR radio show that discussed little one's fears. The little boy was so afraid to fly that it didn't seem logical. As they got the little boy to open up he told the doctor that he didn't want to disappear. He explained in little boy words that when you look at a plane in the sky it's big and slowly gets smaller until it disappears.

When you look at it that way--his fear made sense. They helped him understand and he was no longer afraid.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

After reading about flights on Eastern and National and other defunct airlines, it reminds of a night in 1978. I was working as a controller at Pensacola Approach and our ILS (Instrument Landing System) was not in use because that runway was being repaved. We had to use the much shorter 9/27 runway and the only instrument approach available to that runway was a surveillance approach. That means the pilot is given headings (vectors) to fly to keep him on final approach for the runway and he's given recommended altitudes to fly in his charts while on approach.

My crew was working that evening and the controller next to me was handling final approach. The weather was terrible and rainy and it was about 9pm, very dark. The National 727 was five miles from the runway at 1700' and the controller told him to descend to 'minimum decent altitude'. His chart should of told him to drop to 520' (MDA) and his training would of told him not to leave that altitude until he sees the runway lights or makes a missed approach. From 5 miles out until 1 mile out, the plane is over Pensacola Bay. At the shoreline there is a 100' high cliff, even though the airport is very near the water the elevation is about 120'. The plane's landing lights apparently reflected off the bay and gave them the impression they were seeing a wet runway. Also lights on an anchored barge made them think they were the runway lights.

The plane touched down so smoothly with all the flaps lowered and the airplane's speed reduced, the aircraft stayed intact and the crew didn't know they had hit water until it started to flood into the cabin. The barge's crew saw the event and went over and saved everyone onboard except for 3 who had drown. Needless to say, National fired both pilots and the plane sat in 15' of water in the middle of the bay for about a month. It was clearly visible to motorist crossing the bay on I-10 bridge and National couldn't wait to get the plane removed. Since it was in such good condition, it was resold for 1 million dollars to a company that was going to refurbish the plane for flight. The biggest problem was when lifting the plane making sure it didn't break apart.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Sage

I don't remember the exact date of my first plane ride but I was extremely nervous. It took several flights before I was able to relax and almost enjoy it.

I remember taking a puddle jumper in Hawaii to get to another island. The plane started it's descent and it seem to take forever. I was looking out the window and saw nothing but water. I got nervous and blurted out, "this is no sea plane". The other passengers started to buzz, thinking the same thing. A short time later, the plane landed. The runway was at the edge of the ocean. It would have been nice to announce, that fact. Who woulda thunk it?

Took several puddle jumpers to get to Lexington, KY as a friend of mine lived there. It was interesting how they followed the highway all the way. It felt unusual to see propellers, as I felt the jets were safer. I didn't get any ear pressure with these flights, so I started to like it better.

Flying now, is a piece of cake!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I don't remember the exact date of my first plane ride but I was extremely nervous. It took several flights before I was able to relax and almost enjoy it.

I remember taking a puddle jumper in Hawaii to get to another island. The plane started it's descent and it seem to take forever. I was looking out the window and saw nothing but water. I got nervous and blurted out, "this is no sea plane". The other passengers started to buzz, thinking the same thing. A short time later, the plane landed. The runway was at the edge of the ocean. It would have been nice to announce, that fact. Who woulda thunk it?

Took several puddle jumpers to get to Lexington, KY as a friend of mine lived there. It was interesting how they followed the highway all the way. It felt unusual to see propellers, as I felt the jets were safer. I didn't get any ear pressure with these flights, so I started to like it better.

Flying now, is a piece of cake!!!
I flew an Aloha Air interisland from Maui to Oahu and back in 1987. It was an uneventful flight but a couple weeks later an Aloha flight blew the emergency door in mid flight and a flight attendant was lost. About the same time I flew one of those 28 passenger turbo prop "flying culverts", from Denver to Durango. It was a rough flight over the Rockies but it was okay. About a week later one of those flights crashed over the mountains. It might be wise not to closely follow my itinerary.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I flew an Aloha Air interisland from Maui to Oahu and back in 1987. It was an uneventful flight but a couple weeks later an Aloha flight blew the emergency door in mid flight and a flight attendant was lost. About the same time I flew one of those 28 passenger turbo prop "flying culverts", from Denver to Durango. It was a rough flight over the Rockies but it was okay. About a week later one of those flights crashed over the mountains. It might be wise not to closely follow my itinerary.
Don't worry Ed, I won't. Scary stuff!!!

I've developed the thought pattern to "let it go" when one is up around 30,000 feet. We are all in our makers graces.

"Man plans, GOD laughs".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 PM

Yes I do. From Chicago to New Jersey in Jan 1971. Uncle Sam just drafted me into the Army. Was free airfare.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Sage

G-LOFE - Atlantic Airlines Lockheed L-188 Electra at Katowice - Pyrzowice | Photo ID 351330 | Airplane-Pictures.net

My first flight (circa 1961) was on an Electra flying from Miami to Chicago to go to Navy boot camp. I probably flew Eastern Airlines. I made sure I got a window seat but was shocked how much the wings flexed.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Sage

Not only do I remember the first time, I remember every time I flew. The first time was from Mexico to Florida. The planes were very small and the pilots were playing kickball on the runway before takeoff.

Second time: Night coach from California to Connecticut. There might have been one or two other people besides me on that flight.

Third and fourth time Small plane from Tampa to south Florida and back (round trip).

That's it!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Sage

Wow. So many interesting stories ! Thanks for sharing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.