Preppers

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 AM
Default Preppers

Given the 20/20 hindsight available through the lens of this pandemic, I’m wondering if any posters who have said incorrect, unkind and judgmental things about preppers in past threads would like to apologize now to those preppers?

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 05-18-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
Given the 20/20 hindsight available through the lens of this pandemic, I’m wondering if any posters who have said incorrect, unkind and judgmental things about preppers in past threads would like to apologize now to those preppers?

what is a prepper? I'm not familiar with that term
Old 05-18-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage

People who think the end of the world is coming--they have enough supplies to live independently for a year and the means to protect themselves if their is a total societal breakdown
Old 05-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

And what is a prepper?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 AM

My definition of a "prepper" is a person who believes the end of civilization is near and intends to survive no matter what the cost. They horde large amounts of food, water, and any provisions that can be stored for year at a time. They stock up on gas, ammo, guns, and spend time training on how to defend their homes and families against all comers.
They are the exact opposite of a person who will bring in a reasonable amount of food, gas, and necessities needed to get them through a natural disaster such as a hurricane. Normally a little on the paranoid side of the psychological scale!!
Old 05-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,527 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisbum View Post
My definition of a "prepper" is a person who believes the end of civilization is near and intends to survive no matter what the cost. They horde large amounts of food, water, and any provisions that can be stored for year at a time. They stock up on gas, ammo, guns, and spend time training on how to defend their homes and families against all comers.
They are the exact opposite of a person who will bring in a reasonable amount of food, gas, and necessities needed to get them through a natural disaster such as a hurricane. Normally a little on the paranoid side of the psychological scale!!
Bingo. And I owe them nothing. Prepper, hoarder... really no difference.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Not me. Preppers
Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
And what is a prepper?
They are unfortunate people plagued with severe paranoia.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage

Almost like people who survived the depression, afraid to spend a dime and saved all the $$ they could, lived frugally to the extreme and died in a house that looked liked they were impoverished but had several million $ stashed in the walls and under the floor boards
Old 05-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Do you have a bugout car stashed someplace?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

So those are the ones who took all the toilet paper and yeast
Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
No, but I should thank them for the laugh.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
So those are the ones who took all the toilet paper and yeast
Must be. I wonder why people care? I have always been able to feed the whole third fleet from my pantry and frig. You never know who is going to drop by and stay to dinner.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:55 AM

“A prepper is a person who takes measures in advance to ensure the economic, physical and emotional well-being of their family during times of struggle.”

Wow, that sounds evil…and scary! Where did that definition come from? It came from Jane, the founder of a 5,000-member Reddit group called “PandemicPreps.”

Preppers are like tennis players (or golfers, if you prefer)…their true nature probably lies somewhere on a continuum anchored by extremes of the definition. One extreme would be (1) someone who occasionally plays tennis/golf for fun and socializing with fellow players who become friends. Another extreme would be (2) those who play tennis/golf every day, to the exclusion of all other activities; they have obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and may be scary when they go off their meds; they are overly competitive/aggressive; they don’t socialize with non-golfer/tennis players and are unforgiving of anyone who isn’t a compulsive golfer/tennis player.

Some replies to this post at least deal with their lack of knowledge by asking the inoffensive question “what is a prepper?” Some replies to this post (and other posts about preppers) deal with a lack of knowledge by making up their own incorrect and offensive definitions. That would be like me (a non-golfer/tennis player) saying “my definition of a golfer/tennis player is”… #2 above.”

Preppers just want to be prepared for foreseeable disasters, like hurricanes (around here), tornadoes (in the plains), snow storms (up north), disruptions to the economy (anywhere), etc, etc. Scary! It’s only scary if you let your disagreeable and repulsive assumptions run wild.

Preppers are just like most of us…except they did not become unprepared, panic shoppers in the past several months…BECAUSE they were prepared. When the stores were slammed by panic shoppers, preppers were home...and stayed home...because they were prepared. All the other offensive elements of the definitions provided by some of our resident conspiracy theorists are just figments of their overworked imaginations.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 05-18-2020, 12:20 PM

I would hazard a guess to say you are probably a pickleball player...….just a guess!
Closed Thread

Tags
preppers, past, judgmental, things, threads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.