Drowning does not look like drowning.

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Thumbs up Drowning does not look like drowning.

Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning - Soundings Online

This could be a life saver.

Thanks to Nicole Mitchell's Facebook page.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning - Soundings Online

This could be a life saver.

Thanks to Nicole Mitchell's Facebook page.
Finally took the time to read this today. This is good information. Thanks for sharing, Tal.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Good information! Good find Tal!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Good information! Good find Tal!
Some of my Facebook people I follow are often a wealth of information. Nicole Mitchell, for instance, has stuff on weather chasing airplanes (Hurricane Hunters) and Minnesota weather. That is the Nicole Mitchell who was on the Weather Channel but got into some kind of legal dispute and left to go to law school. She is a weather person now up in Minnesota. Nicole Mitchell (meteorologist - Wikipedia)
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 AM

This is so true..at a pool party my daughter recently attended, a small child almost drowned right next to her father in the pool. She didn't utter a sound, just splashed frantically. Several people, including her father, thought she was just playing around until someone suddenly realized that she was in distress. Her dad pulled her out, and she was fine, but it was especially traumatic for everyone there. It was a group of Coast Guard rescue swimmers with their families.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:31 AM

I used to teach boating safety when I was in Maine and this article was one I read to the class (with the author's permission). As a former lifeguard with two saves, I thought using the classroom time to read this was very important. The textbook did a pretty poor job of covering how to identify who was in trouble.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
This is so true..at a pool party my daughter recently attended, a small child almost drowned right next to her father in the pool. She didn't utter a sound, just splashed frantically. Several people, including her father, thought she was just playing around until someone suddenly realized that she was in distress. Her dad pulled her out, and she was fine, but it was especially traumatic for everyone there. It was a group of Coast Guard rescue swimmers with their families.
Ouch! This brings a painful memory. We were swimming in a motel pool when one of our sons started to sink. Right at the edge was a couple in their 70s, and they were right there. They could have very easily pulled him out, but I ran around and did the pulling. Then I asked this couple why they did not pull him out. They said, "He is not our child."
Old 06-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Thanks Tal. While working as a lifeguard a couple summers in college I pulled a few children out. They were just quietly not coming up for air. Mothers obliviously sunning themselves.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Ouch! This brings a painful memory. We were swimming in a motel pool when one of our sons started to sink. Right at the edge was a couple in their 70s, and they were right there. They could have very easily pulled him out, but I ran around and did the pulling. Then I asked this couple why they did not pull him out. They said, "He is not our child."
What a terrible attitude to have! I also was at a motel a long time ago where there was an incident; a child ran out of one of the rooms, and jumped right into the deep end, and went under. A retired lifeguard sitting there registered that he hadn't come back up, and fished him out. The kid couldn't swim! Everyone else sitting there assumed that he could swim because he jumped in like that.
Closed Thread

Tags
drowning, life, saver.posting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.