Understanding the realities of use of ventilators

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Understanding the realities of use of ventilators

Never had a need to know....until now.

Opinion | What You Should Know Before You Need a Ventilator - The New York Times

Other articles indicate chances of survival vary based on how ill the patient....50-65%.

Add to this sad situation the fact family will not have been in contact (except by phone) with a loved one before needing to go on a ventilator with COVID-19....and not able to communicate once on the ventilator.

Maybe if more people knew more about ventilators they might become fearful enough to abide by the guidelines to prevent the virus and stay home.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Been on a vent, you have very little knowledge of the event. Until you are ready to be weaned, and fight it, it when you are somewhat aware.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

50% is a lot higher than what I heard.........good if it's +50/50
Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM

Seriously, have a conversation with your loved ones. In any case, no matter the illness, tell them what you want. It is hard enough to make decisions but easier if you are following wishes.

My Mom was put on a vent at the age of 45 after a massive heart attack (hereditary). When they took her off her first words to me were (censored) why did you let them do that?!! I explained that it was done before I got there and I wouldn't have allowed it forever. It was also the first time I laughed in 3 weeks. We, as a family, had many discussions after that regarding what both my parents wanted.

Luckily I had another 20 years before I had to honor her wishes. I remember the discussion when Mom made me promise to let her go (she knew Dad couldn't do it). That was truly the hardest decision I have ever made. I am thankful we were there with her at the end. My heart breaks for those who at this time are not allowed to be with there loved ones because once admitted there are no visitors allowed.

Please have a discussion it makes a very hard decision easier.
Closed Thread

Tags
ventilator, ventilators, loved, needing, covid-19

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.