The ducks are back

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts
Default The ducks are back

We have a small pond out back. Last year, the same (I presume) ducks came and settled in, off and on, by the pond. She deposited two eggs in the pond and left.

I did some reading, which said that the ducks leave a few eggs in one location in case their nest (?) gets raided and they lose the eggs from there. Not putting all their eggs in one basket, I suppose. ;-)

Last spring I netted the two eggs out of the pond, as it’s got chlorine in it and didn’t think the eggs would be viable after sitting in that water.

Last week, the ducks came back. They swim around in the pond and sit around the side. We will probably end up with a few more eggs, then never see them until next year.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1EE3E7B4-41B2-4B42-ADFB-C0AD5626C9E2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	78606  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
We have a small pond out back. Last year, the same (I presume) ducks came and settled in, off and on, by the pond. She deposited two eggs in the pond and left.

I did some reading, which said that the ducks leave a few eggs in one location in case their nest (?) gets raided and they lose the eggs from there. Not putting all their eggs in one basket, I suppose. ;-)

Last spring I netted the two eggs out of the pond, as it’s got chlorine in it and didn’t think the eggs would be viable after sitting in that water.

Last week, the ducks came back. They swim around in the pond and sit around the side. We will probably end up with a few more eggs, then never see them until next year.
Awesome!
Closed Thread

Tags
eggs, pond, ducks, back, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.