Dumbest car feature ever designed

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,598 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
As I understand what I read the feature adds only about 4 - 5% to estimated mileage. If the feature is nonlatching so that if it is switched off it will automatically turn on again after the engine is manually shut down and later restarted, the EPA rates the vehicle's mileage as if the autostop is always used which results in higher estimated mileage than if the device is latching as the EPA rates those systems as only being used part of the time. The manufacturers may benefit from higher mileage ratings by installing nonlatching devices.
Well, in the case of my car, the EPA rating is way off because I always turn off the feature when I start my car. The only way for their ratings to be correct would be to remove the on-off button altogether. But, then, I would buy a new car.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Like I said, I have had 3 cars with the feature. My question is "What is wrong with having the engine stop when you're stopped?" As soon as you let up pressure on the brake it starts. By the time your foot gets to the gas pedal, it's ready to go. So what is the problem? On my cars if it's real hot out and the air is working real hard, the vehicle starts itself much sooner.

We have a six-speed that has this feature. Push in the clutch or take your foot off the brake, the car starts. Maybe something needs to be adjusted on OP's Escape to make the feature work faster. We never had a problem.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Dumbest thing on my golf cart? Audible turn signals.

Hey, I'm in Florida. I don't want to hear my indicators the whole time I'm driving around.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I put my heart and soul into finding an answer for you the other day retiredguy. I was strictly a Ford guy for about 30 years as far as new primary cars were concerned. There were other new cars sprinkled in over the 30 years but they were secondary fun vehicles. The last two Fords I had were a 2013 Escape and an 2015 Ford Transit Connect. Both cars were quirky as far as acceleration was concerned. It is absolutely terrible that nothing can be done to take this problem from you. That is a fine choice of make and model car and I would be on fire if they couldn't solve this without jumping a switch or pushing a button, B.S to that. Please let us know which way this repair goes for you. Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post

Hey, I'm in Florida. I don't want to hear my indicators the whole time I'm driving around.
The best thing is if you use them and then remember to turn them off!
Old 03-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

1. Re the Stop/Start feature. It's a Love/Hate relationship. There are some auto mfrs that do not have an on/off switch - it's always activated - that would have been a NOGO re our new car purchase. We have a set routine when starting our MB - the ECO on/off is switched off and our dashcam is switched on. We do turn the ECO ON when just missing a long light etc. Cannot see having it ON all the time and having the engine off for short stops - even a stop sign...

2. Re the OP question of dumbest feature on a car? The Nut on the steering wheel.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Same here, ECD.

Mine keep me awake most nights, beeping away in the garage.

Living in Florida does have its drawbacks.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Same here, ECD.

Just plain funny!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Same here, ECD.

Awesome!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,598 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I put my heart and soul into finding an answer for you the other day retiredguy. I was strictly a Ford guy for about 30 years as far as new primary cars were concerned. There were other new cars sprinkled in over the 30 years but they were secondary fun vehicles. The last two Fords I had were a 2013 Escape and an 2015 Ford Transit Connect. Both cars were quirky as far as acceleration was concerned. It is absolutely terrible that nothing can be done to take this problem from you. That is a fine choice of make and model car and I would be on fire if they couldn't solve this without jumping a switch or pushing a button, B.S to that. Please let us know which way this repair goes for you. Good Luck.
Thanks for your efforts. I think I will survive by learning to push the button when I start the car. I have another year until the warranty runs out, and then I will be shopping for a new car. But, if possible, it will not have the auto engine shut off feature.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ and our beautiful house in The Village of Hillsborough

I have a Cadillac XT5 with that feature and it really does save on gas. The Cadillac does not have a way to turn shut that feature off. However, when I stop at a light and brake then quickly release my foot from the brake and reapply brake pressure, the car does not turn off.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:50 PM

! have a 2017 Toyota Highlander with this feature and I don't understand what the fuss is about. When I stop if I press hard on the brake pedal the engine stops and restarts when I take my foot off, if I don't want the engine to stop I simply don't press so hard on the brake pedal, simple.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbill70 View Post
! have a 2017 Toyota Highlander with this feature and I don't understand what the fuss is about. When I stop if I press hard on the brake pedal the engine stops and restarts when I take my foot off, if I don't want the engine to stop I simply don't press so hard on the brake pedal, simple.
It’s the new technology they don’t like. They’re probably still using DSL and have a flip phone. 😜😜
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

For those that lease or trade every two or three years they will not notice nothing. For us the keep car long enough to get value of or investment and not trade just to keep up with the jones. It’s up in the air if this starting and stops thousands of time will not wear cylinder walls out let along the starting system.

Manufacture’s don’t care all they got to is get it to last 3 or 5 years if it’s even covered under warranty? After that’s if big bucks for dealers and auto repair industry when system fails. They use to all say wear on rotating parts are worn the most during starting. Same goes for all the turbocharging, boost puts more pressure on cylinders which equals to more wear, especially if you can’t find the dipstick or change the oil religiously. Then, there the cost when turbocharger goes, and on certain models where the turbocharger part of the exhaust manifold it’s going to fail due to the heat.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Looking for two people. First, the one who suggested moving the light dimmer switch from the left floorboard to the steering wheel. The second one is the person who suggested putting ethanol in gasoline. Ethanol picks up water like a sponge. It dissolves some engine seals and can rust almost any metal gas tank. That includes motorcycle tanks.old car tanks, lawnmower tanks, generator tanks if metal, and the like. If you see neither one of these guys, please contact me so I can give them a piece of my mind. Well, not too big a piece,
Closed Thread

Tags
feature, button, push, stop, engine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.