DVR for Streaming Services

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Sage
Default DVR for Streaming Services

Like many others, I'm considering cable cutting. One question I'd like to ask you folks...

How about a DVR for streaming services? With respect to the function of the DVR itself...with a basic DVR, I assume the TV has to be on to record programs since there is no cable box. Is that correct? Or I suppose if you pay a bit more, maybe some of the DVR's have built in streaming services which allow the TV to remain off, like a TIVO DVR possibly?

Anyway, I just have general questions like that. And of course I'd welcome recommendations for the best DVR's to consider purchasing.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

The most economical way to stream content is to buy a bluray player for about $70. It will come with about 200 streaming apps and you can also play dvds and cds. Make sure you get one with wifi. I watch a lot of movies on dvd free from the Sumter and Lake County libraries. I also watch free stuff using the Amazon Prime app on the bluray player. I think the problem with TIVO is that you need to pay them a monthly fee.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The most economical way to stream content is to buy a bluray player for about $70. It will come with about 200 streaming apps and you can also play dvds and cds. Make sure you get one with wifi. I watch a lot of movies on dvd free from the Sumter and Lake County libraries. I also watch free stuff using the Amazon Prime app on the bluray player. I think the problem with TIVO is that you need to pay them a monthly fee.
Thanks for the reply, but can you record? I already have established the ways I will watch TV after cutting the cable. My question is specifically about recording devices (DVRs).
Old 01-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Thanks for the reply, but can you record? I already have established the ways I will watch TV after cutting the cable. My question is specifically about recording devices (DVRs).
No, you cannot record with a bluray player. Need to get a tivo or something similar. Tivo is probably a good option, but I think there will be a monthly charge.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Platinum member

I guess a lot depends on how you are cutting the cord. Some services such as Sony Vue has a built in “DVR” service. I have an old VCR/DVD recorder that could record OTA broadcast. I am not aware of any other DVR devices other than Tivo that would support streaming services. Lastly, most networks have all of thier programming available as on-demand, other than for maybe a live event DVR Service is not really needed.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

SlingTV has the option of a "DVR" for an additional $5/mo
Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
...I am not aware of any other DVR devices other than Tivo that would support streaming services...other than for maybe a live event DVR Service is not really needed.
Google a phrase something like "DVR for streaming services" and you will see there are many!!

And yes, since much streaming programming is on-demand, live TV (sports, etc.) are a big reason for a streaming DVR. But also with some streaming services (DirecTV Now for example) you still get network shows that sometimes cannot be played "on-demand".
Old 01-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Sage

Sling has a cloud DVR service for $5/month. Sounds decent. Anybody have any experience with Sling?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

We have Sling blue, $25/month which allows 3 users at the same time. Have not used the DVR service, but sounds OK.
Closed Thread

Tags
dvr, streaming, services, dvrs, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.