Early Retirement Adjustments

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts
Default Early Retirement Adjustments

Has anyone else gone through all this?

I did as I first retired at age 34; then went back to work; retired again at age 41; worked again, then at age 52 finally retired for good. I remember experiencing everything on this list.

These are the bad things about early retirement that no one talks about - MarketWatch

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Platinum member

Although I did not retire at a very early age - I was probably 60 - I can relate to so much in this article. In some respects I feel I am still adjusting. Both of us worked and thus had separate chunks of the day separate and apart from each other. Now, in retirement, we do everything together, 24/7, and sometimes it drives me crazy. The only major difference is that we watch different television shows. But having said that, DH is constantly coming into my room to tell me about Judge Judy's latest case, etc. Sometimes I grit my teeth because I want to scream: "if I were bleeping interested in Judge Judy, which I am not, I would have bleeping watched Judge Judy." But I don't. I just smile and feign interest. LOL
Old 04-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Over the years I have heard wives somewhat fearfully talk about their anxiety at their husbands' retiring and how they will be together 24/7 unless and until new routines get worked out. They worry about their husbands' being in the way of their various routines.

For me it was mostly the loss of professional identity. People tend to look at men for what they do, be it a plumber, physician, engineer, accountant or whatever. For several years I found it difficult knowing how to respond to the inevitable "So, what do you do?" I finally settled on telling them I manage my investments which seemed to do it. Of course now at age 77 I can get by with saying I am retired.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
age, retired, list, 41;, work;

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.