Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
We should have a fear forum.

Fear of ebola.
Fear of Muslims.
Fear of race riots.
Fear of government intrusion.
Fear of immigration.
Fear of climate change.

There are enough threads that thrive on the above and more to come for sure.

There seems to be a trend where an OP starts it off with a provocative title and then the feeding frenzy begins. Just look at some recent examples, Ebola Scare...Illegal Aliens...Radical Islam. I am not knocking anything; in fact, there is an entertainment value to all this.
Good one! That is probably why most of us read this forum and the Daily Sun. On TOTV the world is going to h*** in a hand basket and the Daily Sun -everything is coming up roses.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Fear of ebola.
Fear of Muslims.
Fear of race riots.
Fear of government intrusion.
Fear of immigration.
Fear of climate change.

There seems to be a trend where an OP starts it off with a provocative title and then the feeding frenzy begins. Just look at some recent examples, Ebola Scare...Illegal Aliens...Radical Islam. I am not knocking anything; in fact, there is an entertainment value to all this.
ONE person opined that it was "a scary statistic".

I posted that fact (1400 being monitored) as a fact and did not opine. I thought something could be learned from the report, and from the fact that it's being kept pretty quiet in the news.

We still have individual freedom to say it's "scary", "trivial", "real" or "informative".

Apparently that freedom to have an individual opinion or reaction is scary to some and so, they'd rather have no reporting of the fact at all.

To me, censorship is scary.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post

I posted that fact (1400 being monitored) as a fact and did not opine. I thought something could be learned from the report, and from the fact that it's being kept pretty quiet in the news.

We still have individual freedom to say it's "scary", "trivial", "real" or "informative".

Apparently that freedom to have an individual opinion or reaction is scary to some and so, they'd rather have no reporting of the fact at all.

Believe me, the "concern" expressed by others "fears" have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with anything but views that have long been expressed by the same posters.

Everything in their world revolves around one thing and can change in the flash of an......er......."el.....n". They never change, they never discuss or supply new facts, they just look for openings to make their p........l point, and to their credit they are consistent and never changing.

Thanks for supplying INFORMATION.....on here that is unique !!!

When I posted about the irrational fears of muslims, I felt bad...I took away a post about "crickets".
Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Fear of ebola. (Ebola is still a very serious and deadly illness.)Fear of Muslims. (Radical Muslims are not a warm and fuzzy lot)Fear of race riots. (Would you want one in front of your house)Fear of government intrusion. (That is a general political philosophy of conservative folks)Fear of immigration.(Legal would be nice and the first folks I would welcome are the Canadians)Fear of climate change. (That is a scientific observation, and there is no way we can get people to change their ways to stop it.)

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE??? Are you really saying that the issues above don't exist???

In Civics class back at old South High School in Columbus, Ohio we were taught the use of listing "glittering generalities" such as those listed above were a poor argument. They do not specify the exact problem and are used to divert attention from the exact problem.

AND It makes it appear that those who are afraid of one are afraid of all which is rarely true.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post

I so agree. What we are hearing and not hearing is very creepy indeed.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
ENTERTAINMENT VALUE??? Are you really saying that the issues above don't exist??? [/COLOR]

In Civics class back at old South High School in Columbus, Ohio we were taught the use of listing "glittering generalities" such as those listed above were a poor argument. They do not specify the exact problem and are used to divert attention from the exact problem.

AND It makes it appear that those who are afraid of one are afraid of all which is rarely true.
Gracie...there are posters on here who NEVER....NEVER...EVER actually discuss or supply any new information. They simply post one liners smart "cracks" to manifest their "leanings". They are predictable as the sun coming up and it NEVER varies.

I do not know if they do not read, or simply wait until they are told what is wrong. They will always remark about networks, and frankly, if they discussed it in an intelligent manner, they could have points. Of course we all know that other networks are always level headed, un biased, and not preachy so I can understand (that was sarcasm).

I enjoy discussions with people who do not agree with me and present facts, garnered from reading all sources available, but there is a group who will always simply post the one or two liners to let you know how superior they feel they are.

Of course after a discussion takes place, if not going well they then complain and have it deleted.

I was always of the mind that open discussion was a means to learn. For some open discussion is a threat...thus the little smart remarks.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Sage

After thinking about "the Ebola scare" I believe the main thing that fueled the fear was the lack of trust in our government to a)tell us the truth and b)handle it correctly. We will never know if we got the truth; but it appears in spite of their screw ups things are working out well.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
After thinking about "the Ebola scare" I believe the main thing that fueled the fear was the lack of trust in our government to a)tell us the truth and b)handle it correctly. We will never know if we got the truth; but it appears in spite of their screw ups things are working out well.

What "screw ups" can be blamed on the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta or the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD ? It seems that these government institutions cleaned up errors made by the hospital in Dallas and saved lives in the process.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,598 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
What "screw ups" can be blamed on the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta or the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD ? It seems that these government institutions cleaned up errors made by the hospital in Dallas and saved lives in the process.
"A laboratory mistake at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta may have exposed a technician to the deadly Ebola virus, federal officials said on Wednesday. The technician will be monitored for signs of infection for 21 days, the incubation period of the disease."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/he...irus.html?_r=0

"For weeks, health officials reassured the public about Ebola, saying the nation's health care system would contain the virus.

But now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is admitting that mistakes were made, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann."

Ebola virus response in Dallas had mistakes admits CDC - CBS News
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Platinum member

"Ebola (and zombies and crashing meteors) should be the least of your worries this year."

What Are You Afraid Of
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Worry about the flu, which kills over 5,000 a year in the US and is easily spread, and get over Ebola.

26 children have died from flu as outbreak widens
Old 01-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Worry about the flu, which kills over 5,000 a year in the US and is easily spread, and get over Ebola.

Just a note....this thread, which I suppose was meant to be a bit of mocking at those who have/had a fear of Ebola is basically way off thread.

This is the OP...

"How does everyone feel about the Ebola virus. It seems readily apparent that our governments and health organizations have done a pretty good job of containing the threat. It know it gives me a warm fuzzy about their efforts. PROPER RESPECT!!"

It has, or seems to have, become...a R versus L discussion, which simply confuses me. There are a lot of differences to discuss between those two, but HOW THIS BECAME WHAT IT IS...just escapes me.

Now, it about doing the best to mock anyone who had a fear or has a fear.....I suppose doing that gives warm and fuzzy's to some.

Some make it all about the pol....a. aspect of any subject and this thread certainly fulfills that if that as the motive.

To the OP, I had not seen anyone criticizing the health organizations recently at all. At the time of unknown, there was a lot for sure.

I hope whatever problems there were and there were problems have been resolved and the learning can be applied to any future outbreaks.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Sage

As a side note - the CDC came out immediately and admitted they got the flu vaccine wrong this year and people are being hit hard. The fact they took responsibility and admitted their error is probably why no one is going haywire over this.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post

That is because so many people are affected with the flu. The percentage of people affected with the flu who die is very small compared with the percentage of people who die from Ebola .Most sources say 70 to 90 percent.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

http://www.bing.com/search?q=percent...60e1&FORM=QBLH

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.