The Ebola Virus

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I read on a CNN news feed that they are bringing an American doctor and nurse back to the US because they have been infected. Hmmmmmm
We were having this conversation about the cdc bring the doctor back first. It's is the best way to try to find a cure to bring him to a hospital that can try to treat and maybe find a way to slow down or put in maybe a remission to find a cure..this facility does it the best and is next door to the cdc. I hope they can retrieve him before it's too late. The female has been given a experimental dose and will follow at a later time
Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That kills 90% of those infected.

The worst outbreak so far and spreading.

Should we stop planes from Africa from entering the U.S.?
I feel sorry for the two American's who've contracted the disease. But, I don't see the point in flying them home because it seems inevitable that it will increase the risk of the virus spreading here in the US. They need to be treated on site in Africa, hydrated (which is about all you can do) and hope they make it when the virus burns out.

I know they will take full HAZMAT protections on the plane and in the US hospital etc ... but people make mistakes and no system is foolproof.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:43 AM

From The Journal of Infectious Disease

Taken together, our results support the conventional assumptions and field observations that most EBOV transmission comes from direct contact with blood or bodily fluids of an infected patient during the acute phase of illness. The risk of casual contacts with the skin, such as shaking hands, is likely to be low. Environmental contamination and fomites do not appear to pose a significant risk when currently recommended infection control guidelines for the viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed.

Sounds like if you are not providing clinical care, one would have little risk unless you cleaning up any of the "discharges".
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are gonna die, VPL. And so am I. And they will too.
The above quote is from another thread. But shouldn't it apply here too? Why worry about death if we are all going to die eventually of something beyond our control?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It's funny those who work in the health care field have less fear of issues such as these. To find cures you actually need the host. The doctor came in a suit and walked in with some assistance. Everyone involved with this effort knows what could happen, and as always there are more volunteers than needed. It's why people choose this field to keep all of you SAFE.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Sage

Read a bio of the nurse. Dedicated to missions and was in Africa working under a Eustis based group.
Second U.S. Ebola patient was missionary from Eustis - News - Daily Commercial
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The above quote is from another thread. But shouldn't it apply here too? Why worry about death if we are all going to die eventually of something beyond our control?
Reminds me of the Country/Western song: "EVerybody wanna go to heaven, but nobody wanna go now" -- I can wait.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Three observations:

1) There was a reason Ellis Island (and other places) existed as a receiving station for folks arriving from other countries. The combination of medical exams and quarantine helped bring a number of communicable diseases under control. The receiving stations "cost too much to operate", so they went away.

2) Once upon a time, we had a *large* US Public Health Service which operated public hospitals and clinics as well as serving as the front line in battling communicable diseases like TB. Over time, it has been reduced to a mere shadow as it "cost too much money".

3) Alternately in places like Alaska, the folks who cared for the sick and helped to battle the Great Flu Epidemic were the <ahem> "Good Time Girls". They stepped up and risked their lives when the "respectable folks" refused to risk their lives. Which may prove that judging people isn't as simple as it would seem.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 AM

We have friends from TV who had plans to go to Africa ,(he used to work for the Peace Corps). I am very concerned for their well being. Also have distant relatives in Nigeria and Cameroon....anxious about the whole situation.
A pandemic had been predicted by the WHO and the CDC for some time now..this could be the beginning of a medical nightmare for the world.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Interesting oped in the Daily Sun this morning. I do not always agree with Ann Coulter but find this item to be worth a read.

Not just the part on Ebola but the entire article....on Ebola...

"I wonder how the Ebola doctor feels now that his humanitarian trip has cost a Christian charity much more than any services he rendered.

What was the point?

Whatever good Dr. Kent Brantly did in Liberia has now been overwhelmed by the more than $2 million already paid by the Christian charities Samaritan's Purse and SIM USA just to fly him and his nurse home in separate Gulfstream jets, specially equipped with medical tents, and to care for them at one of America's premier hospitals. (This trip may be the first real-world demonstration of the economics of Obamacare.)"

Ann Coulter - Official Home Page

The entire piece, in my opinion, is worth a read.

As a small intro to the balance of the article...

"Can't anyone serve Christ in America anymore?

No -- because we're doing just fine. America, the most powerful, influential nation on Earth, is merely in a pitched battle for its soul."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.