Economic survival during Covid in the 3rd and 2nd worlds

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Economic survival during Covid in the 3rd and 2nd worlds

This is something I’ve been pondering since the start of the pandemic. I can’t find anything about it on the internet. I’ve asked some of my intellectual friends and they don’t have a clue.

That brings me here - to the home of some of the brightest minds around.

Wealthy countries such as ours were able to afford generous unemployment and stimulus packages to keep afloat business owners seriously impacted by the virus. When business dropped to zero or near zero, government payouts kept families from starving.

But how did it play out in third world or even second world countries? I have a hard time imaging that Botswana, for instance, could afford to provide for all their business owners. How about Laos or Bangla Desh? Or Surinam or Haiti in our hemisphere? Or the Caribbean whose economic base is tourism?

It’s a mystery to me. How did they survive lockdowns? Hopefully we can share some insight here. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

IMO We can’t afford it, but when just print money with no accountability there will be price to down the road? Short trip or way down the road there will be price to pay, and that price is inflation and stock market crash. You just can’t keep printing cargo ships of paper money not be price to pay. IMo that price will be 3rd world living.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

First things first...we(the United States of America)have poured billions into these 2nd and 3rd world countries over the years. But because they're run by criminals of the first order they don't give a flying load of bat guano if their countryman live or die. So get used to it. No matter what anyone does(builds schools, water treatment plants, shows how to grow more food without us taking over(and that never works)they'll keep reverting to being poor and minimal medical treatment. They(the population)won't fight for themselves and we can not do it all.

Look at what the morons are trying to do to us. It's disgraceful.

So either buck up and go help some country or forget it.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
But because they're run by criminals of the first order they don't give a flying load of bat guano if their countryman live or die.
I'm not asking whether those leaders provided for their citizens. I'm assuming they did not. The question is HOW did the people survive lockdowns? The citizenry obviously did survive them, otherwise we'd have heard of massive starvation and other calamities as a result of a total loss of income from lockdowns.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO We can’t afford it, but when just print money with no accountability there will be price to down the road? Short trip or way down the road there will be price to pay, and that price is inflation and stock market crash. You just can’t keep printing cargo ships of paper money not be price to pay. IMo that price will be 3rd world living.
Not about us, Top, but thanks.

Tags
business, countries, world, afford, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.