Emmys' Low Ratings

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Hollywood hasn't put out anything I will watch anymore so I am now streaming The Waltons. Once upon a time, Hollywood could get it right.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Hollywood hasn't put out anything I will watch anymore so I am now streaming The Waltons. Once upon a time, Hollywood could get it right.
Lots of very good movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment and other motivated stuff out there.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I can't believe that most of the comments here are stereotyping the character of celebrities.

Those that I have worked with have proven to be a group of passionate, intelligent, and creative individuals. I have seen that the proportion of celebrities, with issues, as quoted above, are no different than the general US population contains. Yes, even the Villages.

And who put the celebrities there? We did, of course.

Sure they get gillons of dollars for their performances. But they also donate substantial amounts of money and their time to many wonderful charity organizations. Something that most critics overlook.

Robert De Niro: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars

The 20 Most Charitable Celebrities in Hollywood

So, I don't mind a little pontification now and then.

You cannot compare the Oscar, Emmy type of awards to CMA or the Tonys, which have been renewed by CBS till 2025. Video award shows have little entertainment value: An excerpt of a movie or TV show has little overall meaning. Whereas the entertaining Tony musical numbers and CMA songs have traditionally proven steady in viewership.

(The Grammys are something else entirely.)

BTW: Tina Fey's husband, Jeff Richmond, has three Emmys, and a show on Broadway. Looks aren't everything.
Stereotypes are mostly accurate....look it up.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I can't believe that most of the comments here are stereotyping the character of celebrities.

Those that I have worked with have proven to be a group of passionate, intelligent, and creative individuals. I have seen that the proportion of celebrities, with issues, as quoted above, are no different than the general US population contains. Yes, even the Villages.

And who put the celebrities there? We did, of course.

Sure they get gillons of dollars for their performances. But they also donate substantial amounts of money and their time to many wonderful charity organizations. Something that most critics overlook.

Robert De Niro: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars

The 20 Most Charitable Celebrities in Hollywood

So, I don't mind a little pontification now and then.

You cannot compare the Oscar, Emmy type of awards to CMA or the Tonys, which have been renewed by CBS till 2025. Video award shows have little entertainment value: An excerpt of a movie or TV show has little overall meaning. Whereas the entertaining Tony musical numbers and CMA songs have traditionally proven steady in viewership.

(The Grammys are something else entirely.)

BTW: Tina Fey's husband, Jeff Richmond, has three Emmys, and a show on Broadway. Looks aren't everything.
so, I guess you get the tingling down the leg when around movie stars AKA waiters and waitresses.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Lots of very good movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment and other motivated stuff out there.
we all have opinions don't we!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Stereotypes are mostly accurate....look it up.
I did look it up.....

"Stereotype
An assumed label given to someone out of pure ignorance and arrogance.

Often given by people who live up to the stereotypical standards of "preps", which is pretty sad."

Urban Dictionary: Stereotype

"The use of stereotypes is a major way in which we simplify our social world; since they reduce the amount of processing (i.e. thinking) we have to do when we meet a new person.

By stereotyping we infer that a person has a whole range of characteristics and abilities that we assume all members of that group have. Stereotypes lead to social categorization, which is one of the reasons for prejudice attitudes (i.e. “them” and “us” mentality) which leads to in-groups and out-groups."

Stereotypes | Simply Psychology
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I did look it up.....

"Stereotype
An assumed label given to someone out of pure ignorance and arrogance.

Often given by people who live up to the stereotypical standards of "preps", which is pretty sad."

Urban Dictionary: Stereotype

"The use of stereotypes is a major way in which we simplify our social world; since they reduce the amount of processing (i.e. thinking) we have to do when we meet a new person.

By stereotyping we infer that a person has a whole range of characteristics and abilities that we assume all members of that group have. Stereotypes lead to social categorization, which is one of the reasons for prejudice attitudes (i.e. “them” and “us” mentality) which leads to in-groups and out-groups."

Stereotypes | Simply Psychology
Look deeper. Urban Dictionary and a study done in the 1930s...really?

Look at Stereotype Accuracy
Old 09-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Look deeper. Urban Dictionary and a study done in the 1930s...really?

Look at Stereotype Accuracy
I did that first....my post was tongue in cheek, although I agree.

Those who LABEL groups and then interact based on that are just plain uninformed IN MY OPINION.

My guess is that your choice of links would change under other circumstances.

And OPINIONS are different than stereotyping......much different.

Those celebrities making fun or comments would be embraced if their aim was just a bit different.

If any stereotype was accurate, what is the sense of even trying, learning or even living. Our fate has been determined by someone stereotyping my skin, words, religion, my parents heritage, my choice of career. Pretty dumb stuff in my opinion, and I always find it the easy way out to classify everyone without any effort to even know me......
Old 09-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Hollywood, Broadway, NFL, Amazon, Nike, network media, et.al. So many taboos that we all used to enjoy. Or maybe we still do.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Hollywood, Broadway, NFL, Amazon, Nike, network media, et.al. So many taboos that we all used to enjoy. Or maybe we still do.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
It seems like there has to ba a target.....you have to hate someone to rally it seems.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I did that first....my post was tongue in cheek, although I agree.

Those who LABEL groups and then interact based on that are just plain uninformed IN MY OPINION.

My guess is that your choice of links would change under other circumstances.

And OPINIONS are different than stereotyping......much different.

Those celebrities making fun or comments would be embraced if their aim was just a bit different.

If any stereotype was accurate, what is the sense of even trying, learning or even living. Our fate has been determined by someone stereotyping my skin, words, religion, my parents heritage, my choice of career. Pretty dumb stuff in my opinion, and I always find it the easy way out to classify everyone without any effort to even know me......
Yep.

Although some will stop as soon as they see a couple of sentences that reinforces their own (often ugly/bigoted/racist) confirmation bias, intellectuals will read (and more importantly, understand)...the entire link.

Stereotyping
Old 09-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I have chatted with various celebrities online via Facebook and you are right that they should not be stereotyped. Each one is different from the next one.
How about the group that belongs to the actors guild and the television academy of arts and sciences who use the Emmy's for their political views, which in almost every situation coincide with about half of this countries population which in turn affects the ratings of the Emmy's show in a downward way. If that group would not bring up issues that cause people to tune out, then the ratings would be higher. Then everyone would again enjoy watching the Emmy's. And there would be peace across the land.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I never realized that Ted Nugent was so despised...by so many TV'ers.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
How about the group that belongs to the actors guild and the television academy of arts and sciences who use the Emmy's for their political views, which in almost every situation coincide with about half of this countries population which in turn affects the ratings of the Emmy's show in a downward way. If that group would not bring up issues that cause people to tune out, then the ratings would be higher. Then everyone would again enjoy watching the Emmy's. And there would be peace across the land.
Good point
Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I never realized that Ted Nugent was so despised...by so many TV'ers.
The thread is about Emmy ratings and why they have dropped in recent years. They have dropped in recent years. Perhaps the gowns aren't right? The lighting? The time of the evening? The commercials? The political speeches?

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-21-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
viewership, emmys, watching, markets, households

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.