lawn irrigation

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 AM
Default lawn irrigation

Never heard of this before does new construction in TV comply? My house was built in 1991 and does not have a sensor. I was working on a friends sprinkler system which had a sensor on it so thought I would do a little research.

Where is the rain sensor requirement written?
Florida law requires installation of rain
sensors devices on all automatic irrigation systems since May of 1991.
State statute
Florida Water Law Statute requiring rain sensors on all new systems
Title XXVIII Natural Resources; Conservation, Reclamation, And Use Chapter 373 Water Resources
373.62 Water conservation; automatic sprinkler systems.--Any person who purchases and installs an automatic lawn sprinkler system after May 1, 1991, shall install, and must maintain and operate, a rain sensor device or switch that will override the irrigation cycle of the sprinkler system when adequate rainfall has occurred.
History.--s. 7, ch. 91-41; s. 7, ch. 91-68; s. 6, ch. 2001-252

Volusia County code requiring rain sensors on older sprinkler systems
Ordinance 2000-34 now in Chapter 50 of the Volusia County Code.
Section 50-316 (c) All automatic landscape irrigation systems shall be equipped with rain sensor devices, within eighteen months from the effective date of this ordinance. (Oct 5, 2000 so 18 months later is April 4, 2002)
Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Gold member
Default Re: lawn irrigation

Our house in the Village of Belvedere was built in 2004 and does indeed have a rain sensor. That's about all I can say about it.... We had an extraordinarily knowledgeable fellow here (who works for the company that actually installed our sprinkler system) to fix a major sprinkler problem that had been present from day one since the house was built (four years of staggering irrigation water bills) and somehow was not noticed by the previous owners. He told us that from the time the law required it, every house built has a rain sensor; he also told us that a very large percentage of them don't work--and so much for sensors. Hmmm....
Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Default Re: lawn irrigation

The one I was working on sure worked it took me over an hour to figure out why I couldn't operate in manual mode lol.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.