Estate sale before or after listing?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Default Estate sale before or after listing?

We're moving to TV at the end of the summer and will be taking very little furniture with us (our bedroom and personal items and cookware, dishes, etc.) Our realtor suggests a complete estate sale before putting our current house on the market. We had assumed we would get a contract to sell our present house and then arrange an estate sale. Does anyone here have any experience doing either one of these things? If so, please share...our heads are spinning madly!
As always, thanks in advance for your responses! (We have relatives in TV, so we're pretty familiar with the different villages and where we wish to live. We would like to avoid renting for a month or more, if possible.)

Old 06-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Speaking from personal experience. The house I bought was listed 20% higher than what I bought it for, and it was worth every penny of the listing price. Listing photos showed beautiful furniture throughout which I would have bought if given a chance. When I actually saw the house it was empty, unclean, neglected looking. Even given its location etc not many people were interested.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-09-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Personally, I prefer to see an empty house, but most people don't. So, I think you should make sure the house is nicely furnished, but not cluttered. So, I guess I disagree with your Realtor. Also, the buyer may agree to buy a lot of items from you.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Less furniture and counter clutter the better. Everyone has different furniture tastes and different smells.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage

I admit some rooms are weird, and without furniture you just don’t know how it will look. But that saying when we finally sell our homes up north our real estate agent said remove clutter, and show with furniture. Estate people will have already Priced, and ready for sale, soon as offer is excepted furniture is gone.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

I think I would try and get rid of any clutter. Maybe take 30 to 50% of what is in your closets out so they look bigger. Same goes for kitchen pantry. If you have wood floors I would remove the area carpets and shine the floor. Get the garage as empty as you can and maybe park your cars outside when the house is being shown.

I would also find someone to do the sale now if you are not going to do it. That way you will be ready to move forward as soon as the contract is signed. Also consider the use of pods for moving incase you get a quick sale you can load the pods and store them for a few weeks if need be. I would not ship anything to TV (unless in pods you can store) until you close on the home.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 PM

This is great advice! Thank you!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:48 PM

I think I should call some Estate Sale Agents on Monday for quotes and logistics. Thanks for this advice!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Wow! I hadn't thought of that!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond. Great advice from all!

Tags
estate, sale, house, heads, spinning