Everglades Parking lot Filled with trucks

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I happened to be at Everglades. I spoke with some of those who showed up in their trucks. There were working men who are concerned about job cuts if future developement slows down. It appears that their words were listened to and considered.

This thinking that "The Developer" makes all things evil happen gets a little silly at times.

Here is another thing to think about. Sumter county is not just residents of The Villages. It would be extremely selfish of us to ignore the needs of the many working people who want to feed their families.
Thank you!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Time to show support for the NEW commissioners fulfilling their promise to roll back the 25% tax increase passed by the developers puppets and overwhelming rejected by residents. More developer dirty tricks organizing this fake contractor protest. This is a very scary intimidation and show of force tactic by the developer taking over residents recreation facilities. The Sumter sheriff needs to protect the residents rights.
Sorry..... wrong. That rec. center is owned by The Developer not the residents or The District. They PAID $135,000 in property taxes on that bldg. in 2020. As a County resident, I think it's nice they let the County use it. The info. is out there for anyone who wants to get the facts.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
sounds like they postponed the vote--pushed it down the road apiece.
They did..............the "rollback candidates" rolled over from their promises.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

The reality of what will happen when development slows down is starting to sink in. If only everything was as simple as voters sometimes think it should be. We constantly complain about health care and empty stores, that COSTCO or TJ's (and others) won't build here yet we want to push higher costs on them by charging higher impact fees which are passed on which changes their business plan. When costs become too high, business will pass on by or leave, look at the States up north that are losing business to more friendly States. Make Sumter a non friendly business location and they will move on. Revenue vs Cost, always the decider.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-13-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
They did..............the "rollback candidates" rolled over from their promises.
Issues tabled until July. Let's see what happens then. If nothing----time to find replacements for the EMS individuals in the next election. Back peddling?
Old 01-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Agree. I was amazed at how long that article was.

The article states developers are only required to pay 40% of the maximum impact fee allowed by law. Did that change when the 25% tax increase was put into place or has it always been that low.

Very misleading headline implying that the Commissioners are considering a tax increase has already confused a number of people.
You are correct, the headline of the article in the Daily Sun was very misleading. The commissioners are not proposing a tax increase, they are proposing that the impact fees necessary because of new development be paid by others besides existing residents of the county. It is easy to see the confusion the misleading headline would cause to those who have not been following the situation.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Just doing what politicians do.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelbob View Post
Issues tabled until July. Let's see what happens then. If nothing----time to find replacements for the EMS individuals in the next election. Back peddling?
This can happen when second stringers take over.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:00 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
sounds like they postponed the vote--pushed it down the road apiece.
They still plan to eliminate the 25% tax increase just trying to avoid confrontation.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:08 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I happened to be at Everglades. I spoke with some of those who showed up in their trucks. There were working men who are concerned about job cuts if future developement slows down. It appears that their words were listened to and considered.

This thinking that "The Developer" makes all things evil happen gets a little silly at times.

Here is another thing to think about. Sumter county is not just residents of The Villages. It would be extremely selfish of us to ignore the needs of the many working people who want to feed their families.
It would be extremely selfish of these workers to force senior citizens on FIXED incomes to pay INCREASED taxes. And these increased taxes might keep people from buying as The Villages becomes unaffordable. Then these workers would lose their jobs.

Don't conservative economists say "Cut taxes to spur growth?"

Last edited by John41; 01-13-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:10 AM

If you raise taxes on something you get less of it. The construction workers know that if the impact fees are drastically raised there will be fewer houses, stores and restaurants built in Sumter County. Thus fewer jobs and lower pay for workers. I'm pleased that they are standing up for their jobs and their families.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
What was going on at Everglades last night. The entire parking lot was filled with huge dump trucks, cement mixers and cars.
That happens a lot when there is construction going on close by.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:39 AM

How much money are we talking about? We bought a home for $350,000.00. How much more does this 25% increase cost per year to fuel all of this new growth? Just moved here .
Old 01-14-2021, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
It has the developer's fingerprints all over it. Remember when he wanted a zoning change for Bob Evans restaurant and sent threatening letters to residents if they opposed him. One of the non Villages newspapers needs to get involved.
Agree that having the trucks in the parking lot was a bully approach by the developer & his cronies. The workers need support, which is why I’m glad the $15/hr increase will become effective eventually. But I believe the workers were sold a bill of goods to show up in that manner.

Give the new commissioners a chance. The tax increase was totally unfair to ALL Sumter tax payers, this includes workers here & home owners in lower Sumter who are nowhere near The Villages & still had to pay the increase
Old 01-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniess View Post
If you raise taxes on something you get less of it. The construction workers know that if the impact fees are drastically raised there will be fewer houses, stores and restaurants built in Sumter County. Thus fewer jobs and lower pay for workers. I'm pleased that they are standing up for their jobs and their families.
I imagine the workers were instructed to go to the meeting by their companies. The vehicles filling the parking lot are not commuter vehicles. I have to believe if any employee chose on their own to take such a company vehicle to an after-hours meeting they would soon find themselves to be an ex-employee. The workers certainly may feel the need to speak about the impact fees but I don't believe for a minute that this wasn't a coordinated demonstration.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-14-2021 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
Closed Thread

Tags
everglades, lot, filled, trucks, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.