To everyone who displays an American Flag.

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Default To everyone who displays an American Flag.

Although President Trump has refused to issue an official proclamation, we can feel free to lower your flag to half-staff in honor of Sen McCain’s death until his internment. Lowering the flag is in accordance with President Eisenhower’s 1954 presidential proclamation that standardized the dates and times for flying the U.S. flag at half-staff from federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels. It is reported that all federal buildings have their flags at half-staff except the White House where the flag was returned to full staff today.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

From the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website:

The flag is to be flown at half-staff at all federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels in the Washington, D.C., area on the day and day after the death of a United States senator, representative, territorial delegate, or the resident commissioner from the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. It should also be flown at half-staff on all federal facilities in the state, congressional district, territory, or commonwealth of these officials.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-27-2018, 02:11 PM

Personally I'm against lowering to half staff for any single individual. Yes I think he was a hero although I didn't much care for him as a human.
Heroes die everyday. Heroes even greater than McCain. What he did for a living means nothing to me
Old 08-27-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
From the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website:

The flag is to be flown at half-staff at all federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels in the Washington, D.C., area on the day and day after the death of a United States senator, representative, territorial delegate, or the resident commissioner from the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. It should also be flown at half-staff on all federal facilities in the state, congressional district, territory, or commonwealth of these officials.
What they say is what is in the flag code. That same section of the flag code also says that the flag can be displayed at half-staff whenever the president declares. It also states that it can be flown “in accordance with recognized customs or practices”. Since Eisenhower’s proclamation in 1954, the custom has been that for Senators, the flag flies at half-staff until internment.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM

The president has now issued a proclamation that the flag should be flown at half-staff until the internment of Sen McCain.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
Personally I'm against lowering to half staff for any single individual. Yes I think he was a hero although I didn't much care for him as a human.
Heroes die everyday. Heroes even greater than McCain. What he did for a living means nothing to me
The flag is being flown at half-staff not because he is a hero or because he was a great human being. It is being flown at half-staff because he was a sitting senator, which has been the custom since 1954.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
The flag is being flown at half-staff not because he is a hero or because he was a great human being. It is being flown at half-staff because he was a sitting senator, which has been the custom since 1954.
The published protocol language indicates that the flag should be lowered to honor a senator on the day of death and the following day until 5 PM .

Would anyone consider just for a moment that it could have been a White-House grounds and building worker who thought that he or she was following the printed and usual protocol ? Must we read evil intent into everything ?

And now I am going to double lock my doors and seek out my old hockey hemet .

And P.S. I supported the senator when he was running for the nomination the first time and when he ran for the office of president . So please do not take my remarks as a sign of disrespect and the flag at my home is at half-mast .

Last edited by Buffalo Jim; 08-27-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:12 PM

So agrred
Old 08-27-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
It is being flown at half-staff because he was a sitting senator, which has been the custom since 1954.
I get that. Which is why I wrote this earlier.

Heroes die everyday. Heroes even greater than McCain.
What he did for a living means nothing to me
Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 PM

The President was only following protocol. Here it is: U.S. Flag Code states that flags be lowered "on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress."
Old 08-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

[QUOTE=ilvgolf;1575803]The President was only following protocol. Here it is: U.S. Flag Code states that flags be lowered "on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress."[/QUOTE

Actually he was disregarding his own actions on this honor along with time honored tradition in our country.

And if not for the tough worded letter from the American Legion today, it still would be at full

They also criticized his lack of proclamation.

The beginning of the letter....

"Dear President Trump,

The American Legion urges the White House to follow long-established protocol following the death of prominent government officials"

The letter then goes on, but I sure will have a deaf ear next time I am told I am disrespecting veterans or flags.

White House Flags Lowered to Half-Staff for McCain’s Death | Fortune

Last edited by Bucco; 08-27-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Even though I disagree with his party affiliation, I did remove my thin blue line flag below my American flag and lowered it to half staff. RIP Senator McCain.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvgolf View Post
The President was only following protocol. Here it is: U.S. Flag Code states that flags be lowered "on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress."
Of course.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-28-2018, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I don't lower my flag for no politician's
Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
The published protocol language indicates that the flag should be lowered to honor a senator on the day of death and the following day until 5 PM .

Would anyone consider just for a moment that it could have been a White-House grounds and building worker who thought that he or she was following the printed and usual protocol ? Must we read evil intent into everything ?

And now I am going to double lock my doors and seek out my old hockey hemet .

And P.S. I supported the senator when he was running for the nomination the first time and when he ran for the office of president . So please do not take my remarks as a sign of disrespect and the flag at my home is at half-mast .
I think all one has to do is connect the dots. Given the very public communication between POTUS and the Senator, it is clear that this was no error of the groundskeepers. And now because of blowback from veterans groups, the flag is all of a sudden back at half mast. Predictable.
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, half-staff, buildings, federal, proclamation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.