Extra Security Measures

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Default Extra Security Measures

After hearing about the recent "handyman" thief that was arrested in The Villages after stealing from homeowners I decided to add some home security cameras to my house. I recommend EVERYONE do the same, not only does it give me instantaneous live feed of my home, I can monitor everyone that approaches my house. I chose to go with Ring, the doorbell version, and I cannot be happier. Whats everyone opinion with the doorbell cameras, and if you have one, how do you like it?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I have a home security system, don't think I need one but my wife feels better. A number of houses have ring and they seem to do a nice job but the odds of actually having a need (I know, only need it once) is small. In the 5 years we have been here have never had an issue. Our best secutity is our neighbors who will challenge anyone that does not look like they belong. So far, they have challenged surveyors, landscapers, meter readers, relatives and new buyers...lol. My advise is always, do what makes you feel secure and don't worry about what others think......if you feel you need a camera then you should have a camera.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Gold member

Simpli Safe self installed. I do not have it monitored. With posted security signage at all entrances, alarm sirens that will go off immediately upon illegal entrance I feel extremely safe. Once the siren goes off I feel 99% of burglars will high tale it out since they don’t have a clue if the system is monitored or not.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Camera's are also useful for verifying package delivery/theft or that work like pest control or lawncare is being done correctly.

Recorded a pest control guy on my Ring essentially spend 2 minutes spraying randomly, spent 10 min smoking a cigarette on my front porch and leave.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

In my opinion, the best security for property is to not have anything worth stealing. The best security for personal safety is a vicious, barking dog.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, the best security for property is to not have anything worth stealing. The best security for personal safety is a vicious, barking dog.
I guess you borrowed someone's computer to make your comment, don't have any TVs, a laptop, cell phone, any jewelry, tools, etc.,
or anything worth stealing, according to your comment!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
How are they going to know you don't have anything worth stealing until they've already destroyed your front door or have broken a window to gain entry?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Well, the $200,000 Audi in the driveway (of the house I was just at) may give a hint... but the owner does have a license to carry.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage

As far as dogs go, hm... when we had a break in up north, my Welshie hid under my nightgown telling me:”Take care of me, mommy”.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellanham View Post
After hearing about the recent "handyman" thief that was arrested in The Villages after stealing from homeowners I decided to add some home security cameras to my house. I recommend EVERYONE do the same, not only does it give me instantaneous live feed of my home, I can monitor everyone that approaches my house. I chose to go with Ring, the doorbell version, and I cannot be happier. Whats everyone opinion with the doorbell cameras, and if you have one, how do you like it?

Be sure you set yours up for neighborhood alerts.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

I'll put my 2 cents with in here. First let me explain my background. I retired last year from Johnson Controls after nearly 20 years of working for them. During this time I was a technician and engineer for large scale security security systems (data centers, sports arenas, hospitals, high rise building, courthouses, etc. were projects I engineered and installed), followed by several years a security consultant and sales, then Security Operations Manager for West Tenn, Mississippi, and Arkansas, then the last 12 years as a construction Project Manager in Florida for Security Major Projects. I've delt with security aspects and projects from schools to airports to courthouses from the back woods to inner city Memphis and Fort Lauderdale. I've trained myself to think to the level of those I was protecting my customers from.

All this being said, here's my take:
Ring, SimpliSafe, and any of the internet based system are defeated in 10 seconds with a pair of wire cutters by cutting the internet connection - cable, fiber, whatever, they all are exposed outside the home. This is normally next to the electric meter with the disconnect to turn power off to the house.

Home alarm systems are and have been basically worthless. Unless you have every door monitored and every window with both a concealed position switch and a glass break sensor, and cellular communication your system is easy to get around, motion detectors are worthless. Oh yes, don't forget the alarm horn has to be outside so it alerts and wakes all your neighbors, inside it's barely audible outside and easy to turn off with a baseball bat and wire cutters.

The alarm industry knows that after 3 to 4 months most customers stop setting the alarm system every time they go out and over 90% stop being used completely after 6 months. The contract for service are written so that cancellation is difficult and has penalties for termination, you're locked in for 2-3 years at first when you get your "free" system. Contract renewals are automatic and normally for 1 year or more, hardly ever month-to-month. Once renewed if you decide to cancel the early termination penalty is normally the total amount of the remaining contract, so most just keep it active once they learn they'll have to pay it one way or another and forget about it until it renews again. The automatic billing to a credit card sent profits through the roof for the industry. Most people never even notice the billed amount.

There are no Danny Ocean's and Al Monday's out there looking to break into your house, most robberies are smash and grab. The "protected by ADT" sigh is an invitation to be robbed as most career burglars are aware of the compliancy that I described above.

The single best home protection system has 4 legs and a loud bark, to the average burglar it's just not worth the risk or effort to deal with an unknown dog. Even then, for the average house, if you have something they want, your still not going to stop them.

The best window sign I say in my 20 years was "Protected by NRA Life Member, Don't Think About It".

Bottom line, don't waste your time, a locked door will keep an honest man honest, the determined can't be stopped.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Simpli Safe self installed. I do not have it monitored. With posted security signage at all entrances, alarm sirens that will go off immediately upon illegal entrance I feel extremely safe. Once the siren goes off I feel 99% of burglars will high tale it out since they don’t have a clue if the system is monitored or not.
You are 100% right. Having it monitored is a waste of money. Once the alarm goes off the bad guy runs. Also the master bedroom is the place they will go to since it is where most people keep jewelry, money, guns, etc. That is the room I have extra security.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Sage

For me all my stuff is insured. I only worry about me being in the house when it happens.... we had a home invasion up north. Guy tried to enter the second story bedroom of my 8 year old daughter by breaking the window. He was talking in my native language and later we found out he was a tourist from my country. He was drunk and the police eventually talked him down. My child had trauma for years afterwards. I had 2 dogs at the time, the lab retriever who hid behind the sofa downstairs and the Welsh terrier who hid under my nightdress. They were not trained to be guard dogs.

I like to have a fire extinguisher or bear spray within easy grasp.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-19-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

A friend who lived in a high target burglary area of London had a door bell that played a recording of a barking dog.
It was quite an off putting bark as well. Sounded like a large hungry dog.
He was never burgled, though many were. Luck or the bell, I have no idea.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Default Ring Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
I'll put my 2 cents with in here. First let me explain my background. I retired last year from Johnson Controls after nearly 20 years of working for them. During this time I was a technician and engineer for large scale security security systems (data centers, sports arenas, hospitals, high rise building, courthouses, etc. were projects I engineered and installed), followed by several years a security consultant and sales, then Security Operations Manager for West Tenn, Mississippi, and Arkansas, then the last 12 years as a construction Project Manager in Florida for Security Major Projects. I've delt with security aspects and projects from schools to airports to courthouses from the back woods to inner city Memphis and Fort Lauderdale. I've trained myself to think to the level of those I was protecting my customers from.

All this being said, here's my take:
Ring, SimpliSafe, and any of the internet based system are defeated in 10 seconds with a pair of wire cutters by cutting the internet connection - cable, fiber, whatever, they all are exposed outside the home. This is normally next to the electric meter with the disconnect to turn power off to the house.

Home alarm systems are and have been basically worthless. Unless you have every door monitored and every window with both a concealed position switch and a glass break sensor, and cellular communication your system is easy to get around, motion detectors are worthless. Oh yes, don't forget the alarm horn has to be outside so it alerts and wakes all your neighbors, inside it's barely audible outside and easy to turn off with a baseball bat and wire cutters.

The alarm industry knows that after 3 to 4 months most customers stop setting the alarm system every time they go out and over 90% stop being used completely after 6 months. The contract for service are written so that cancellation is difficult and has penalties for termination, you're locked in for 2-3 years at first when you get your "free" system. Contract renewals are automatic and normally for 1 year or more, hardly ever month-to-month. Once renewed if you decide to cancel the early termination penalty is normally the total amount of the remaining contract, so most just keep it active once they learn they'll have to pay it one way or another and forget about it until it renews again. The automatic billing to a credit card sent profits through the roof for the industry. Most people never even notice the billed amount.

There are no Danny Ocean's and Al Monday's out there looking to break into your house, most robberies are smash and grab. The "protected by ADT" sigh is an invitation to be robbed as most career burglars are aware of the compliancy that I described above.

The single best home protection system has 4 legs and a loud bark, to the average burglar it's just not worth the risk or effort to deal with an unknown dog. Even then, for the average house, if you have something they want, your still not going to stop them.

The best window sign I say in my 20 years was "Protected by NRA Life Member, Don't Think About It".

Bottom line, don't waste your time, a locked door will keep an honest man honest, the determined can't be stopped.
Most of what you say is true, but I'd like to correct one point.

I'm talking about the Ring Alarm, not the doorbell.

The "Ring Alarm" will switch to AT&T cellular network if the internet connection is lost. Doesn't matter if internet wires are cut or not. It's a wireless system and also completely battery backed up if a power failure.

There is comfort in knowing immediately that your house has been approached/tampered with and that you have a video waiting to be viewed (no matter where you are) even if the camera is destroyed.

Home Security Systems | Alarm Protection | Peace of Mind
| Ring

(I love your drone videos)
Closed Thread

Tags
home, cameras, house, doorbell, security

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.