Face Masks

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2020, 08:28 PM
Default Face Masks

There was a post earlier tonight that addressed the topic of face masks that went sideways and was appropriately deleted. While doing some research on the topic before the post was deleted, I came across an article that is worth sharing as wearing face masks may come more commonplace.

Main purpose of sharing is to educate and help us understand the differences in our world and hopefully be more compassionate.

Coronavirus: Why some countries wear face masks and others don't
Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Who was that masked man?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
There was a post earlier tonight that addressed the topic of face masks that went sideways and was appropriately deleted. While doing some research on the topic before the post was deleted, I came across an article that is worth sharing as wearing face masks may come more commonplace.

Main purpose of sharing is to educate and help us understand the differences in our world and hopefully be more compassionate.

Coronavirus: Why some countries wear face masks and others don't
That was my thread, not sure why deleted. It contained a graph of coronavirus cases by country by a Financial Times reporter based on John Hopkins data. Here is latest one 3/29. The graph shows that some Asian countries like S Korea and Japan have a much flatter curve. Both countries urged citizens to use masks. There may be other reasons those countries have flatter curves than USA but everything they have done should be looked at seriously. CDC says masks do not protect you from coronavirus, you don't know how to fit them correctly, and we need all supplies for front liners. All of this is true but some think the public mask wearing in Asian countries helped slow spread from asymptomatic carriers to rest of population. Probably too late now in USA as virus is raging in too many hotspots.

eutizyvxgaeq2p033-jpg

Also, here is an article in New York Times about masks

Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired
To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy.

Opinion | Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired - The New York Times
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Yeppers, the hospitals so many of you thought would NEVER want them are in need...it is obvious many of you that are medically connected and scoffed when I said this is a way to help out never had to "make do" in a battlefield setting, only know the "luxury" of having what is required in the civilian medical world. While you argued, I made 150 masks to donate. Still sewing.

I Can Sew Homemade Masks. Will Hospitals Use Them Against Coronavirus? : LAist
Old 03-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Yeppers, the hospitals so many of you thought would NEVER want them are in need...it is obvious many of you that are medically connected and scoffed when I said this is a way to help out never had to "make do" in a battlefield setting, only know the "luxury" of having what is required in the civilian medical world. While you argued, I made 150 masks to donate. Still sewing.

I Can Sew Homemade Masks. Will Hospitals Use Them Against Coronavirus? : LAist
Good for you, Czechs are doing this on a massive scale and are getting better results than many EU countries in terms of infections/death rate

Stitch in time: Czechs sew to combat virus mask shortage
Old 04-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

It would appear that the WHO may be considering a change regarding face masks.

Coronavirus: Expert panel to assess face mask use by public - BBC News
Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

Of course finding them will be impossible....got to find someone that knows how to sew

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-02-2020, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

A bit late but better than nothing.

I really do think face masks can be quite attractive and fashionable (the inside can still be filtering) and keep away bad breath, and spitting too. Perhaps I got used to it from my time in Hawaii, but I wear mine anytime I leave the house these days, and I keep
sanitizing them when I get home.

Guys can wear bandanas like the bad guys! And gals can use various beautiful scarves.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:59 AM

Lots of people wearing masks at Publix and Winn Dixie this morning. Seems like a good idea since social distancing is nearly impossible there. How can you pass someone in an aisle and be 6’ apart? Finished sewing one last night. Son in Chicago has requested some for the four of them. Not sure how much they help, but they can’t hurt.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:36 AM

Now of course is how to get one if you aren’t a crafty person. All the stores are sold out and Amazon is ripping off people. Got to hand it to the folks that had the foresight to stock up. Anyone want to market on the classified site?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Lots of people wearing masks at Publix and Winn Dixie this morning. Seems like a good idea since social distancing is nearly impossible there. How can you pass someone in an aisle and be 6’ apart? Finished sewing one last night. Son in Chicago has requested some for the four of them. Not sure how much they help, but they can’t hurt.
They can help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The kind of masks that people are wearing won't protect them from GETTING the virus, but it will, in general, stop someone who has the virus, even an asymptomatic carrier, from GIVING it to someone else.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
They can help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The kind of masks that people are wearing won't protect them from GETTING the virus, but it will, in general, stop someone who has the virus, even an asymptomatic carrier, from GIVING it to someone else.
Good to know.

I have thought about cutting up a Publix grocery bag. The kind for cold/warm items and then putting it over by face. Then wrapping a scarf around that. It would give me several layers of protection but if someone sneezed in my face, I doubt if it would do much good because my eyes would not be covered too. And how many times could you wear something like this without it getting contaminated?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:13 AM

Biohazard suits with HEPA filters are 100% effective.
N95 Masks are 95% effective.
Having any kind of covering over your nose and mouth will be more effective than no covering at all. If you don't already wear eyeglasses, you can wear other eye protection.
Masks made of fabrics are "One and Done". Once you take it off, discard it or wash it if it is a homemade mask that can withstand a trip through the laundry.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM

Finally the CDC has recommended that all Americans wear cloth mask if they go out in public. It’s a shame that this took so long and that is still optional. Posted in the New York Times was an article about how many citizens are carrying the virus and show no symptoms. It looks to be about 1/3 of the population. If everyone wears mask whether homemade or factory made it could make a huge difference on the spread of the disease. This would not only decrease the amount of people showing up at the hospitals but also the deaths that are occurring daily. I personally think that the next time something like this happens to the world everyone will be required to wear a mask and they will be available for each individual. Please stay safe in the villages and wear some form of protection when out in public. Don’t forget you may be a carrier and not know it. This is to protect your neighbor , Friends, and family. Don’t forget your glasses to keep droplets that are airborne from your eyes.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Masks are addendum to distancing, not a replacement.

Tags
face, masks, deleted, topic, sharing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.