Facts

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2019, 06:04 PM
fw102807
Default Facts

I believe “facts” can be manipulated, misinterpreted or just plain wrong. “Facts” are simply a conclusion based on a certain set of evidence. This evidence can be accurate or not based on how it is collected and by whom. “Fact” is not equal to absolute truth and considering all ideas, opinions and possibilities is the basis for critical thinking. I am tired of having these “facts” rammed down my throat by people who are intolerant, closed minded and think they are infallible. I am using a link to support this idea. If you don’t like it I really don’t care. It’s my opinion and I am entitled to it. Facts are not always more important than opinions: here's why
Old 07-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I believe “facts” can be manipulated, misinterpreted or just plain wrong. “Facts” are simply a conclusion based on a certain set of evidence. This evidence can be accurate or not based on how it is collected and by whom. “Fact” is not equal to absolute truth and considering all ideas, opinions and possibilities is the basis for critical thinking. I am tired of having these “facts” rammed down my throat by people who are intolerant, closed minded and think they are infallible. I am using a link to support this idea. If you don’t like it I really don’t care. It’s my opinion and I am entitled to it. Facts are not always more important than opinions: here's why
You seem to be becoming a philosopher. Take a look at some of David Hume's writings. Top 10 David Hume Quotes - BrainyQuote

David Hume - Wikipedia

Hume Texts Online

Quote:
It's when we start working together that the real healing takes place... it's when we start spilling our sweat, and not our blood. David Hume
Read more at: David Hume - It's when we start working together that the...

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-01-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
You seem quite full of anger, and in your anger are talking past the point I try to make.

I am not a philosopher, and that seems to be your direction. And your link, quite frankly was interesting, but if in anyway it is meant to dissuade me, or anyone from wanting facts or searching for truth, it falls seriously short.

On this forum, and in the real world it is quite simple to recognize lying or manipulation of truth. Can we discuss philosophy of truth ? Certainly but that has never, nor can I envision it ever being discussed.

You speak to people "ramming" things down your throat, while I consider it human courtesy that if you are giving your OPINION, based on an occurrence or a settlement, then as a reader I certainly deserve to know about the occurrence, etc. I hope I do not fall short when discussing REAL things, I supply from where I got my basis for an opinion.

You are over thinking the common practice of lying, or deceiving.

If you post on here that PERSON A did not say this or that, and I produce a video of that person saying it, then you lied to everyone in the forum. Of course, we find in today's age that those videos can and are manipulated and that is a caution. If you say something, and it is your opinion on something or somebody, in my world you should supply what generated your opinion. That is civil discourse, and disagreements are based on differing OPINIONS. There can be no civil discourse if based on lies.....flat out impossible

I would always avoid someone who lies, and that is always my premise. I have NEVER questioned an opinion based on truth, disagreed maybe, but never questioned or dismissed.

I may be misunderstanding you, and not sure why you, or anyone would be angry as you seem to be because someone asked you to back up comments.

I am not putting words in your mouth, but you seem to be giving carte blanc approval to misstate things, or lie to people simply because of some philosophical feeling about defining truth.

I can say, with almost 100% accuracy that a liar is a liar. Whether lying by omission or flat out telling things that are not true.

The discussion you are trying to begin is philosophical, and well beyond me. I am sorry for whatever sparked such anger, but I have found in my 80 years that lying is lying.....most know it, and you "appear" to be trying to legitimize someone lying to you.

If this is meant to be philosophical rather than simple human behavior, I apologize. I subscribe to the philosophy of KISS.....and still, perhaps naively that A lie is an assertion that is believed to be false, typically used with the purpose of deceiving someone.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Opinion: I love the color of the sky.
Fact: The sky is blue.

Opinion: This dress makes me look fat.
Fact: I am fat.

Opinion: green-eyed people are all lazy.
Fact: there is no biological difference in inherent motivational behavior between green-eyed people and people with any other color eyes.

Opinion: The guy who rammed his golf cart into the Walmart glass door should be in jail.
Fact: The guy who rammed his golf cart into the pickup truck had a defective gas pedal. He committed no crime but he will ultimately be held responsible for the cost to replace the door.

Opinion: I like bees.
Fact: Bees are insects.
Also fact: The person who likes bees in the opinion above is not allergic to bees.

Learn to distinguish between fact and opinion. One is not always necessary in conjunction with the other, but if one is opining about something that can be proven factually correct or incorrect, then one should make some minimal attempt to determine which is which, before expressing one's opinion.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Max Cady, Cape Fear. Cleaned up for a Family Audience. "I’m better than you all! I can out-learn you. I can out-read you. I can out-think you and I can out-philosophize you! And I’m gonna outlast you. Do you think a couple of whacks to my good-ole-boy guts is gonna get me down? It’s gonna take a lot more’n that, counsellor, to prove you’re better’n me!”

FW you are on the money. Perfecto!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Interesting... so what exactly are ‘facts’? Are they a definition of something like the wavelength of the color blue, or are they something a lot of people agree on such as in Columbus’ time that the earth was flat. Or are you referring to juried articles in academic journals?

In my opinion ‘facts’ are mostly personal perceptions;

From Wiki:
Blind men and the elephant.

Blind Men Appraising an Elephant by Ohara Donshu, Edo Period (early 19th century), Brooklyn Museum
The parable of the blind men and an elephant originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused. However the meaning of the popular proverb differs in other countries. It is a story of a group of blind men, who have never come across an elephant before and who learn and conceptualize what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-01-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

FACT (poke here)

Quote:
noun

something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

Law. Often facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence.

OPINION (poke here)

Quote:
noun

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

a personal view, attitude, or appraisal

the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
a favorable estimate; esteem:

It really shouldn't be that complicated, and wouldn't be, if people really cared and bothered to do even a modicum of research...regarding which is which.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Interesting... so what exactly are ‘facts’? Are they a definition of something like the wavelength of the color blue, or are they something a lot of people agree on such as in Columbus’ time that the earth was flat. Or are you referring to juried articles in academic journals?

From Wiki:

Blind Men Appraising an Elephant by Ohara Donshu, Edo Period (early 19th century), Brooklyn Museum
The parable of the blind men and an elephant originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused. However the meaning of the popular proverb differs in other countries. It is a story of a group of blind men, who have never come across an elephant before and who learn and conceptualize what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.
The "fact" of this, is that it is, indeed, an elephant. That fact is not disputed, it is a provable thing. Regardless of what the blind men perceive, and how they describe it, it is an elephant. It doesn't stop being an elephant just because three people describe it in three different ways.

The descriptions might even be factual: this thing is alive. It has a leathery surface. It breathes. It has some kind of long appendage that curves around my waist sometimes. All of those things are FACTS, no matter if the person telling you is blind or sighted. They are not opinions. They're facts.

What you are describing is neither fact nor opinion. It's judgment. It's applying or eliminating value to fact, opinion, or both.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

From Wiki:

That's a good analogy, but maybe not in the way you intended.

In that same Wiki article is this:

Quote:
The parable has been used to illustrate a range of truths and fallacies; broadly, the parable implies that one's subjective experience can be true, but that such experience is inherently limited by its failure to account for other truths or a totality of truth.
The fact that it is an elephant...is still a FACT.

That different people have taken pieces of this fact, to espouse a view that is an incorrect and skewed opinion...is exactly what happens all too often.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 07-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Sage

Yes, my question is “what is the definition of fact”? Is it something that we can independently under identical circumstances replicate over and over again?
And what is the definition of “truth”?
How do we know what we know?

OP a fact can be relative. Take the temperature of your bath water. Relative to the boiling water in the pot, the bath water is cold. Relative to the icy water in the fridge, the bath water is hot. I am guessing that’s how people manipulate “facts”.

Last edited by Velvet; 07-01-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, my question is “what is the definition of fact”? Is it something that we can independently replicate over and over again?
Fact is something that can be proven.

Truth has more than one definition. One is subjective, the others are not.

Something can be true "for you" and not be factual.

You can believe in a god made out of cream cheese, and therefore, cream-cheese god's existence will be true for you.

But its existence isn't factual, however true it might be for you. A fact is not disputable. In fact (pun intended), facts are often disputed, until all arguments against them are proven false. It's one way (of many) of discerning whether or not something is a fact.

Fact: I have 3 dimes, 2 quarters, and 4 pennies in my purse.
Now, you can call it "a lot of money" if you are a little kid who never gets any money at all. You can call it "don't insult me, keep your damned tip" if you're a waitress being stiffed on a $140 dining check. But the fact remains, it's still 84 cents. That is a fact. You can dispute it, and I'll turn my pocketbook inside out and let you cut it into pieces looking for more change. When you find there is nothing left in there, you will have proven the fact. You don't have to like it - and that would be your opinion, that you're entitled to. But your opinion won't change the fact that it's 84 cents.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, my question is “what is the definition of fact”? Is it something that we can independently under identical circumstances replicate over and over again?
How do we know what we know?

OP a fact can be relative. Take the temperature of your bath water. Relative to the boiling water in the pot, the bath water is cold. Relative to the icy water in the fridge, the bath water is hot. I am guessing that’s how people manipulate “facts”.
"Cold" vs "Hot" would be opinion, not fact. Fact would be the 105 degree temperature of the water. "Colder" and "Hotter" would be relative fact.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Sage

Love your answers. Makes me think.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Crazy Law Facts | Law Teacher

This is amusing.

Now what makes a horse "ugly"?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Platinum member

It was six men of Indostan, to learning much inclined,
who went to see the elephant (Though all of them were blind),
that each by observation, might satisfy his mind.

The first approached the elephant, and, happening to fall,
against his broad and sturdy side, at once began to bawl:
'God bless me! but the elephant, is nothing but a wall!'

The second feeling of the tusk, cried: 'Ho! what have we here,
so very round and smooth and sharp? To me tis mighty clear,
this wonder of an elephant, is very like a spear!'

The third approached the animal, and, happening to take,
the squirming trunk within his hands, 'I see,' quoth he,
the elephant is very like a snake!'

The fourth reached out his eager hand, and felt about the knee:
'What most this wondrous beast is like, is mighty plain,' quoth he;
'Tis clear enough the elephant is very like a tree.'

The fifth, who chanced to touch the ear, Said; 'E'en the blindest man
can tell what this resembles most; Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an elephant, is very like a fan!'

The sixth no sooner had begun, about the beast to grope,
than, seizing on the swinging tail, that fell within his scope,
'I see,' quothe he, 'the elephant is very like a rope!'

And so these men of Indostan, disputed loud and long,
each in his own opinion, exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right, and all were in the wrong!

So, oft in theologic wars, the disputants, I ween,
tread on in utter ignorance, of what each other mean,
and prate about the elephant, not one of them has seen!

John Godfrey Saxe

Tags
“facts”, evidence, based, don’t, rammed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.