Fads

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM
JohnnyM
Default Re: Fads

Hey Donna stoop ball was big in the Bronx too. Also, stick ball, punch ball, slap ball and the all time favorite "kick the can". Collecting and trading bottle caps. Chocolate egg creams , malteds and ice cream sundaes in metal dishes at the "candy store". Going to the movies at noon and getting out at 5pm all on .27 cents. The good ole day's indeed!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Saddle shoes ... I remember being sooo thrilled getting a pair for my 13th birthday. Until then, it was Keds tennis shoes for home, Mary Janes for school.

Easter hats were mandatory. So were gloves for church. I remember having a fit cause I still had to scrub my hands.

Let's see, high school was pin stripe "gangster style" suits. Skirts rolled up the second we got around the corner from home, rolled down when we had to see the dean because our skirts were too short, rolled back up for the next class and so on throughout the day. (We had to kneel on the floor. If our skirts didn't touch the ground, crepe paper was pinned to the hem. Besides looking ugly, we were constantly being stuck by the pins.)

Beehives with petals for the prom. Shoes dyed to match our dress. Going in your boy friend's family car was a big deal. If his folks had to drop you off, it was get out a block before the high school gym and walk the rest. Of course, if he had his own car, you were really hot stuff!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Big hair rollers - absolutely.

And we would find an errand or something to have an excuse to wear the rollers downtown in our small town on Saturday afternoon so that everyone would know we had a date on Saturday night. (like the pharmacist and the butcher really cared)
Remember the small bows with the clip on it, we used to put them in the middle of the teased hair??
What about the half blouses, like shell designs?? Garter belts, there were no panty hose..We all had 45's (records) the record players..I used to take mine on the stoop..LOL..I loved the Theme from Dr. Ben Casey..

Put playing cards on the bicycle spokes with clothes pins to make noise..

We made go-carts out of milk crates and a long board, then we added roller skates on the bottom, we decorated them with bottle caps..

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM
Hey Donna stoop ball was big in the Bronx too. Also, stick ball, punch ball, slap ball and the all time favorite "kick the can". Collecting and trading bottle caps. Chocolate egg creams , malteds and ice cream sundaes in metal dishes at the "candy store". Going to the movies at noon and getting out at 5pm all on .27 cents. The good ole day's indeed!
How could I forget EggCreams??? Every Brooklyn kid grew up on Eggcreams.....The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

KathieI,

I love it about the wearing of the rollers downtown being in the big city, too. Who knew?

Redwitch,

About those boys who had their own cars -- Did those cars have their own names that had been lovingly painted on the fenders?

C'mon, all you guys reading this,

Did you have a car with a name? What was it? And why?

Now, I really must leave this computer. I have a date tonight.

Buhbye,
BB
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Sage

How about the girls wearing their babushka"s tied up on their chin instead of under their chin to look like really hot stuff! Please please tell me you did that, or did us Chicago girls just think we were really tough?lol

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Babushka tied on the chin? NO WAY -- you'd be a social outcast. The were tied under the back of head. Never ever up front. ewwww

Yes, to the flames and name. Course, we were just thrilled if they had a car that ran!

Hinding in the trunk of the car to sneak into the drive in. Remembering to remove the speaker before leaving. All the "bad" kids parked in the back 2 rows. The "good" ones got the next 3-5 rows and the families got up front.

Never saw the silver spoon thing. Probably a good thing since I know Mom would have killed me.

Girls using masking tape to put their boy friend's initials on their stomach while tanning. Boys using lemon to get the surfer boy bleached look -- even in New Jersey (Springsteen sported that look and I still wonder how he got that curly hair straight!).

Mel's Drive-In with the carphops on roller skates. I was actually one of those!

PE uniforms -- ours was this icky one-piece blue thing that looked like shorts with a short-sleeved top and belt. PE exercises outside, in front of the boys ("We must, we must, we must improve our bust.")

The velour and crushed velvet furniture our moms were sooo proud of. Shag carpeting. Harvest yellow and avocado green kitchens.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
How about the girls wearing their babushka"s tied up on their chin instead of under their chin to look like really hot stuff! Please please tell me you did that, or did us Chicago girls just think we were really tough?lol

Nonie,

You just had to mention those babushkas.

We wore ours tied in the back, under our hair. And we smalltown girls thought we were "tuff enuff"

For some reason, my dad hated it when I wore those babushkas. Poor guy, little did he know. Those babushkas were the least of his worries.

Now, I am going to stop looking at this computer. This thread is way too much fun.

I guess it is time for those of us who know what we are talking about to move to TV if we are not already there. This thread is really some kind of test I think.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:26 PM

For the guys, remember leisure suits. I liked them, my husband hated them. Remember pink and black color scheme. That was really popular. My brother had duck tails and spent many a day combing them in front of the mirror.
I loved American Bandstand and can still remember the name of my favorite dancer. Kenny Rossi. He was so cool!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

The Villages Florida Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind. Memories, sweetened thru the ages just like wine.The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Nonie...wish I had kept my hair dryer like you did!
Sorry...I meant Kathie... :redface:
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to kregski

Babushkas? geez No No my Babcia wore a bubushka. Well there are a lot of polish people in chicago..Veal ? Is that a new kind of vegetable? Kregski dont like veggies ;D
Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Sage

Kreg,

good to see your catchin on! Believe me, youll be a lot better off in the long run!

Also, everyone wore babushkas in Chicago, not just bobshi's. It was the "in" thing. :2cool:

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Sage

OMG, I think were all ready for a big jidderbuggin sock hop when we all get to tv. We can dress up like the 50's and dance the night away to the Oldies. I LOVE IT!!! :hot:

Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Veteran member

I was thinkin the other day about throwing a 50's party inviting you all to dress for the occasion. I have a collection of 50's,60's music and we could decorate the garage and dance up a storm. I'm visualizing all you girls in rollers ;D
Too Funny
Handie :joke:
Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 PM

This topic has really made me laugh today....its been awhile since I rolled my hair in orange juice cans, but can still remember trying to position my pillow at night,so I could get to sleep...

I loved my pantaloons with culottes. Of course had a favorite pair of hotpants! Then the fashion statement was Dad's big shirt . Its so much fun to think back.

I threw away my hooded hair dryer and my rollers when we moved down to TV. I do still have my charm bracelet..... ;D

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.