Fake service dogs

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

We had to get a new harness for our dog, and the color options for the one we liked were either black or red. I though the black one would be too hot, so chose the red one. Now, people think ours is a service dog! Doh! I didn’t think this through! Now I don’t want to use the new harness. Am thinking about finding a new one, but hate to waste the money.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
We had to get a new harness for our dog, and the color options for the one we liked were either black or red. I though the black one would be too hot, so chose the red one. Now, people think ours is a service dog! Doh! I didn’t think this through! Now I don’t want to use the new harness. Am thinking about finding a new one, but hate to waste the money.
Keep the red one. As I said - service animals do NOT have any kind of official garments, or leashes. And ANYONE can buy a dog vest or leash with the words "Service Animal" written on them.

Consider this a learning opportunity for anyone who tries to treat your animal like a service animal. You can explain actual facts, and it'll be one less person who doesn't know any better in the world.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
You're right on re: this. We have a friend whose disabled, in a wheelchair, who has a registered service dog. Our friend's dog is trained specifically for her needs. Once you've met a registered service dog then see the fake ones you will KNOW the difference. It's amazing what lengths "some" people go to, pushing the limits. IF one of those fakes happen to poop/pee inside a building OR worse yet, bite another---I would think they could be arrested and asked to leave. Why the people in that dr's office didn't leave BEFORE having the sheriff show up is beyond me. I'd be embarrased to have all that "attention". How sad our culture has gotten with such selfish behavior.
There is really no such thing as a fake service dog. Service dogs do not need to be registered anywhere by any organization. Service dogs do not need to be trained by any professional trainer. Any dog can be called a service dog. You can personally designate your dog as a service dog, "train" it yourself, and gain access to most public facilities and businesses with your dog. The dog doesn't need to have anything on it to identify it as a service dog. As stated in a prior post, the only two things someone can ask you about is whether the dog is a service dog, and what service does the dog perform for you. If they ask you anything else, they could be violating Federal law.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There is really no such thing as a fake service dog. Service dogs do not need to be registered anywhere by any organization. Service dogs do not need to be trained by any professional trainer. Any dog can be called a service dog. You can personally designate your dog as a service dog, "train" it yourself, and gain access to most public facilities and businesses with your dog. The dog doesn't need to have anything on it to identify it as a service dog. As stated in a prior post, the only two things someone can ask you about is whether the dog is a service dog, and what service does the dog perform for you. If they ask you anything else, they could be violating Federal law.
You can't ask what service the dog performs for you. You can ask what the dog is trained to do. If it's trained to do 6 dozen things, and only is required to do 5 things for you, specifically, it's no one's business, and they aren't allowed to get that information.

You can offer it, but you're not required to tell them what it does "for you." You're only required to tell them what it was trained to do, for anyone.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The way that the one lady cared for the dog she had with her way touching. No matter what the official qualification or lack of qualification of that dog was it was just easier for me to sit quietly and wait my turn instead of upsetting the Applecart. I had a bandana to cover my nose. I'm sure she was doing her best with the little pup that her world revolved around, don't bust my chops about coming to that conclusion in a short period of time but that's the way I felt. The other one was just out there and probably a phoney, but who knows maybe I'm wrong again, could happen.

Question: Who will ever stop this kind of action with Dogs, People Checking for Illegal stuff in the front of someone else's House, Smoking, Vaping, people rushing around stores like they are important and the Grandaddy of them all Road Rage? The answer is Nobody, Never, Ever, Forget it. The Dingleberries and Dingbats are here to stay. You can either let them aggravate you or take it all as free entertainment. I make the best of each situation most of the time, I lose my S&!) sometimes but I'm a Juman Bean just like the Dopey Dog Owner and the others I mentioned.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Then there was the horse on the airplane ,,,,,

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Then there was the horse on the airplane ,,,,,
Not a horse, a "miniature" horse, which qualifies as a service animal under the ADA.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-20-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I 100% agree. The fake service dogs are a big problem. People have been bitten on planes, dogs unruly in restaurants and riding in the carriages in the supermarket. It goes on and on. I own 2 dogs and previously owned a dog business. One of my instructor's had a service dog and it was amazing what that dog could do. The "service dogs" I see around TV are untrained!
I rate this right up there with handicapped stickers that are passed out like candy. IMO if you’re not in wheel chair, limbs missing, or have to have walker you don’t need handicapped sticker. All entitled programs are abused, it the American way.

And another thing only blind people should have service dogs 🐕
Old 09-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I rate this right up there with handicapped stickers that are passed out like candy. IMO if you’re not in wheel chair, limbs missing, or have to have walker you don’t need handicapped sticker. All entitled programs are abused, it the American way.

And another thing only blind people should have service dogs ������
There are people with all kinds of disabilities, and not all of them are visible to other people. Anyone with rheumatism or suffering from emphysema can explain better than I. They don't all need walkers. But they do need to be closer to the entrance than other people. A woman who is recovering from a c-section might need a temporary sticker.

When I broke my leg, arm, collarbone, three ribs, and had multiple contusions, it was definitely obvious for the first two months that I needed someone to drive me around. After that, it wasn't obvious that I had a steel rod in my leg, two steel plates in my forearm, and my chest was still taped every day so the ribs would finish healing while I went to school. I didn't have crutches, my cast was removable, and I was on mandatory intensive physical therapy four days every week for six months.

You can bet your bippie I used my temporary handicap sticker for the entire 6 months it was valid.

There are people with balance problems - caused by inner ear infections and traumatic brain injury - who cannot walk long distances without risking a fall. They don't have canes, or walkers, or wheelchairs. They just need to be closer to the entry than other people.

As for service dogs, be very grateful you don't have any condition that can be triggered suddenly, and can cause death by not acting quickly. There are service dogs that can sense the onset of "episodes" and nudge their owners to a sitting position, or bring them their medicines, or even press a life-alert button for them.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not a horse, a "miniature" horse, which qualifies as a service animal under the ADA.
So a miniature horse is not a horse?
Old 09-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

It’s hard to get a full size horse into a plane, or a restaurant.

There are many kind of handicaps, but you have to draw the line somewhere, like with the person trying to bring their comfort peacock on the plane, or their comfort alligator.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

Years ago ( late 50's) had a neighbor who was, to put it mildly, was an enthusiastic drinker. He could be seen taking his dog for a walk every evenening just as the pub used to open.
Closing time the landlord used to put the dogs lead into neighbors hand and say to the dog, " Take him home boy." and the old mutt got him home safely for years.
Even the coppers (remember when they used to patrol on foot!!) new him and the dog, and never bothered them as he staggered home.
An early example of a well trained Service Dog!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There are people with all kinds of disabilities, and not all of them are visible to other people. Anyone with rheumatism or suffering from emphysema can explain better than I. They don't all need walkers. But they do need to be closer to the entrance than other people. A woman who is recovering from a c-section might need a temporary sticker.

When I broke my leg, arm, collarbone, three ribs, and had multiple contusions, it was definitely obvious for the first two months that I needed someone to drive me around. After that, it wasn't obvious that I had a steel rod in my leg, two steel plates in my forearm, and my chest was still taped every day so the ribs would finish healing while I went to school. I didn't have crutches, my cast was removable, and I was on mandatory intensive physical therapy four days every week for six months.

You can bet your bippie I used my temporary handicap sticker for the entire 6 months it was valid.

There are people with balance problems - caused by inner ear infections and traumatic brain injury - who cannot walk long distances without risking a fall. They don't have canes, or walkers, or wheelchairs. They just need to be closer to the entry than other people.

As for service dogs, be very grateful you don't have any condition that can be triggered suddenly, and can cause death by not acting quickly. There are service dogs that can sense the onset of "episodes" and nudge their owners to a sitting position, or bring them their medicines, or even press a life-alert button for them.
Well stated...unless the person walks in the shoes of the person, then don't criticize. Many issues are un-seen that require the placard. I'm glad you addressed ALL of these Jazuela..where is the "like" button???
Old 09-21-2019, 07:43 AM
Gold member

Dogs in restaurants has really made me cut down on eating out. I don't like them in grocery stores either. I feel there should be special stores and restaurants for dogs. Oh, I do have a dog and he is just as special as anyone else's.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I just read this, and in my opinion it's about time.

A bill has been filed in the Massachusetts State House that would ban passing off a pet dog as a service dog. The bill would make it a civil infraction to knowingly misrepresent a dog as a service dog or service dog in training "for the purpose of obtaining any rights or privileges afforded to a person with a disability requiring the assistance of a trained service dog."

Violators would be subject to a fine of up to $500, 30 hours of community service at an organization servicing people with disabilities, or both, for a first offense. The penalty would increase for subsequent offenses.

As a dog owner myself, who has a brother who is legally blind and requires the assistance of a highly trained service dog, I think this is a great idea. And as a homeowner in the Villages, I hope this type of bill is also introduced in Florida where I see an unusually high amount of fake service dogs.
Completely agree.

Tags
service, dog, bill, assistance, trained

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.