Fake service dogs

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree that the ADA requirements and rules for a number of things need to be changed. I think they are abusing their power. We have a loved family member who is disabled so I am not uninformed.

Every time we pass a law, it does a lot of things and some are not good. AND more and more and more people in today's society ignore, or try to circumvent laws.

That said. I love dogs. I sometimes do not love the people who own them. P.S. I love cats too.
“More and more people in today’s society ignore or try to circumvent laws”. I see this with “service dogs” and handicap stickers and plates on cars and golf carts. It’s amazing what a few people will do. Really sad.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:58 AM

If you are so insecure that you need to fake that your dog is a service dog, there is something wrong with you. Just like the people that park in a handicapped spot that aren't handicapped. Owners of businesses are scared to death trying prosecute because of the ADA lobby or simply to not offend. This is a symptom of today's society. Just pick the law that you want to follow. JMHO
Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
If you are so insecure that you need to fake that your dog is a service dog, there is something wrong with you. Just like the people that park in a handicapped spot that aren't handicapped. Owners of businesses are scared to death trying prosecute because of the ADA lobby or simply to not offend. This is a symptom of today's society. Just pick the law that you want to follow. JMHO
I don't think it's insecurity. I think is a sense of entitlement coupled with arrogance. People want to take their dogs with them everywhere, including on an airplane. They are the kind of people who what want they want, when they want it, and will step over other people to get it. They take pride in beating the system.

Nothing will change these types of people. The law needs to be strengthened.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

As long as they have a Service Dog vest on, they can poop in my yard.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

As long as they have a Service Dog vest on, they can poop in my yard.

You can buy fake service dog vests. I think many people do. I'm all for "real" service dogs, but IMO 90% are fakers who have to bring their puppy everywhere.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
You can buy fake service dog vests. I think many people do. I'm all for "real" service dogs, but IMO 90% are fakers who have to bring their puppy everywhere.
You can buy a service dog vest from several companies online. But, apparently, none of them are "fake" because there is no special qualification information required. You just add the vest to your online shopping cart and enter your credit card number and they send you the vest. So, where would you buy a vest that is a fake vest?
Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can buy a service dog vest from several companies online. But, apparently, none of them are "fake" because there is no special qualification information required. You just add the vest to your online shopping cart and enter your credit card number and they send you the vest. So, where would you buy a vest that is a fake vest?
If a person is just buying the vest just because they want to bring their doggy just about everywhere and they use the vest to keep from being challenged the vest is fake.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
If a person is just buying the vest just because they want to bring their doggy just about everywhere and they use the vest to keep from being challenged the vest is fake.
I would think that is why everyone buys a vest for their dog, whether they need a service dog or not. They don't want to be challenged. My point is that there are no such things as "official" and "fake" vests. The ADA does not require a vest at all. So, it is the owner and the dog that are fake, not the vest.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would think that is why everyone buys a vest for their dog, whether they need a service dog or not. They don't want to be challenged. My point is that there are no such things as "official" and "fake" vests. The ADA does not require a vest at all. So, it is the owner and the dog that are fake, not the vest.
You Win.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
During the Holidays in Illinois a “sting operation” was implemented at a large Regional Mall with huge results. During a three day period before the Holidays over a hundred tickets were issued for improper parking in handicap spaces, fake handicap placards, and the illegal use of handicap placards by unauthorized persons, etc. Of course, this didn’t fix the obvious abuse problem but for a little while it increased awareness that it was best to leave handicap spaces for the handicap. Perhaps, something similar could be duplicated here. For Service dogs, it may require legislation and a process of certification in order to stem the tide of pets being used for service dogs without being trained for the task.

Last edited by justjim; 09-22-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:25 AM

I would think anyone that has gone to the trouble and expense to acquire and train a real service animal would not object to registering the animal and carrying a card which confirms that. I also expect they would not object to being asked to show the card, if for no other reason to stop the sidelong looks they get when taking their service animals into public places.

Personally, I can’t imagine how or why the ADA was passed with a provision making it illegal to ask for proof that an animal was actually trained. What lobby was responsible for that?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
I would think anyone that has gone to the trouble and expense to acquire and train a real service animal would not object to registering the animal and carrying a card which confirms that. I also expect they would not object to being asked to show the card, if for no other reason to stop the sidelong looks they get when taking their service animals into public places.

I agree with this post but adding to that........

Personally, I can’t imagine how or why the ADA was passed with a provision making it illegal to ask for proof that an animal was actually trained. What lobby was responsible for that?
Also to those who object to placards...people who have them are required to carry documentation in their wallet PLUS their glove-box. MANY people have invisible (to the eye) issues that require their having these. Me included!!! Walk in their shoes then say we're "entitled". I wish I was MORE able and could walk long distances!!!! I sometimes need the rollator and sometimes the cane but sometimes don't depending on the day. Oh---I'm sure there are those who abuse this (more than we'd like) but to lump ALL the people in one catagory is unbelievably callous.

Last edited by NotGolfer; 09-23-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Needed to add a comment.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Ok, so how do genuinely handicapped people feel about the fraudulent individuals that are stealing your privileges that were unfortunately actually earned? And what do you recommend to do about it?
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Yes its out of hand. In Super Market Trolleys, in shops, even restaurants. If your dog cannot be left for an hour, DO NOT have one. Owners even let " dogs" poo in the tennis/pickleball courts" and leave it there. Yet we have dog parks.

The rule in TV WAS 1 dog under a certain weight per household.... now there are 2-3 ankle biters yapping at everyone. I am a dog lover, BUT TV is NOT a place for dogs......Trained Registered service dogs are of course allowed and welcomed.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Yes its out of hand. In Super Market Trolleys, in shops, even restaurants. If your dog cannot be left for an hour, DO NOT have one. Owners even let " dogs" poo in the tennis/pickleball courts" and leave it there. Yet we have dog parks.

The rule in TV WAS 1 dog under a certain weight per household.... now there are 2-3 ankle biters yapping at everyone. I am a dog lover, BUT TV is NOT a place for dogs......Trained Registered service dogs are of course allowed and welcomed.
Hmmm Super Market "Trolleys", you might be British.

I think in the lower 48 we are allowed to have two pets, even more if we come with more but as they cross the rainbow bridge, we need to just own two.

Tags
service, dog, bill, assistance, trained

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.