Famous people you have met.

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Gold member

Sister Kenny who was treating me for polio when I was 6 years old. Most people don't know who she is.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM

My ex’s family had a boat at marina Del Ray in Calif. Robert Wagner’s boat the Splendor was 2 slips away from ours. We would sit every weekend and have a drink with him (he is better looking in person) Natalie would come and bring fresh flowers. We were invited to join them that Thanksgiving at Catalina Island, but we could not make it.

My ex-brother in law was the accountant for Aaron Spelling & Goldberg. He took me on set to meet the cast of the Love Boat, Mash, Hart to Hart & Dynasty… I got to eat lunch with the all. Jamie Farr is a riot. I laugh so much I couldn’t eat my lunch.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Howie Mandell, had back stage passes at a show.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBellis View Post
My ex’s family had a boat at marina Del Ray in Calif. Robert Wagner’s boat the Splendor was 2 slips away from ours. We would sit every weekend and have a drink with him (he is better looking in person) Natalie would come and bring fresh flowers. We were invited to join them that Thanksgiving at Catalina Island, but we could not make it.

My ex-brother in law was the accountant for Aaron Spelling & Goldberg. He took me on set to meet the cast of the Love Boat, Mash, Hart to Hart & Dynasty… I got to eat lunch with the all. Jamie Farr is a riot. I laugh so much I couldn’t eat my lunch.
Met a guy that was a close second to Jamie Farr a few months ago here in TV. He just looked a lot like Jamie Farr. Had a good sense of humor too and is of Lebanese-American extraction.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

John Denver, in london, he was playing at the Royal Albert Hall. We had back stage passes. He came over to introduce himself, then bought me and hubby a drink.
Met Jimmy Buffett in London 2 years ago, made my year!!!
Also met the Queen Mother in the late 70's, at a military tattoo, what a wonderful woman.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Gold member

I met Bob Lanier (Detroit Piston). He came into the Secretary of State office I was working in (aka motor vehicle dept.). While I was renewing his drivers license two young guys (about 12 yrs old) came up and asked him for an autograph. He VERY grudgingly gave it to them. I thought it was rude, did he really think no one would notice a 6'11 guy or not recognize him? I was trying to be polite so I asked "How are you doing, Mr. Lanier?"..he replied "Not good...I have a groin pull"..which was slightly uncomfortable since I'm 4'11 and was actually looking straight ahead into the alleged injured area.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I met Bob Lanier (Detroit Piston). He came into the Secretary of State office I was working in (aka motor vehicle dept.). While I was renewing his drivers license two young guys (about 12 yrs old) came up and asked him for an autograph. He VERY grudgingly gave it to them. I thought it was rude, did he really think no one would notice a 6'11 guy or not recognize him? I was trying to be polite so I asked "How are you doing, Mr. Lanier?"..he replied "Not good...I have a groin pull"..which was slightly uncomfortable since I'm 4'11 and was actually looking straight ahead into the alleged injured area.
Sounds like he needed to have his groin pulled.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
John Denver, in london, he was playing at the Royal Albert Hall. We had back stage passes. He came over to introduce himself, then bought me and hubby a drink.
In your mentioning John Denver it reminded me, although no famous people come immediately to mind in my case, that my son has met John Denver and several other famous people. He met John when he was working for the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs. He also met James Taylor and was even hit upon by one of his backup singers. He even got the chance to sing with the NYS Opera Company at the PAC. It was back stage with other opera performers during a part of the opera where they were not out on state. They said to make sure he didn't mention that they let him do it to the director or they would have gotten in trouble.

Others he has met included Sybill Shepherd while sitting next to her during the pilot shoot of "Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus"; Terry Bradshaw at a private house party and Kelly Hu who has appeared on many prime time TV series programs, too many to list. At the time she was on "Martial Law." He got to know her well enough that she gave him a recommendation to get into the Howard Fine Acting Studio in LA.

After graduating from the LA Film School he also had the opportunity to meet the following while on film shoots: Eva Longoria, Wanda Sykes, Tom Bosley, Robert Wagner and others whose names you would probably recognize. I wonder how many famous people he's met that I'm not aware of.

As for me, the only thing I remember is that I did meet and get an autograph of a famous C&W singer back in the late '60s. I can't remember her name for sure, but I think it was Loretta Lynn!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

The Villages Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Sounds like he needed to have his groin pulled.
A pulled Piston? Duffysmom!!!! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

I met all of Bobby Kennedy's kids while visiting "The Compound" back in the mid-60's....before Bobby was sadly assassinated. The security process to get into The Compound was unbelievable....way back then. I remember JohnJohn and Caroline zipping along in the Tooterville Trolley....a glorified golf cart! Ethel and Eunice were just finishing a game of tennis. The children were delightful...very polite and polished.....at their young age.

In my senior year of college, we had our Senior Trip to NYC. Our Dean of Women was a Socialite....and she had connections. We had a luncheon at Helena Rubinstein's luxurious apartment. LIFE magazine was on hand to take photos which ended up on cover of LIFE. The next day, we went to The Plaza for brunch....and I remember seeing Joan Crawford carrying her little dawg while walking down the steps of The Plaza with her "Mommie Dearest" daughter. That night, I remember seeing Barefoot in the Park with Robert Redford.....and I fell asleep! Horrors!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
............I was trying to be polite so I asked "How are you doing, Mr. Lanier?"..he replied "Not good...I have a groin pull"..which was slightly uncomfortable since I'm 4'11 and was actually looking straight ahead into the alleged injured area.
Hey Trish....................................thanks for the visual!!!

Bill
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

My college baseball coach was John "Hi" Simmons, who is in the Baseball coaches hall of fame. One of my best friends was George Seals who played for 10 years in the NFL. I was friendly with Norm Stewart, who is in the College Basketball hall of fame. Through Norm I got to know Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Jack Hartman, Eddie Sutton, and Charlie Spoonhauer among other fairly famous coaches. I worked with Cotton Fitsimmons at several basketball camps. Worked with both North Dakota senators, Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad on insurance issues as well as Missouri Senator Kit Bond. Worked an afternoon with Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter at a Habitat for Humanity project. Visited with Mike Huckabee and Chris Dodd at campaign events. Through volunteer work with the Muscular Distrophy Association I worked with George Brett, Whitey Herzog, Darrell Porter, Nate Archibald, Sam Lacey among others. Is that enough name dropping? Beginning to sound like Forrest Gump.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Location: Johnstown, Pa. - Ebensburg, Pa. - Village of Sanibel

I met Tom Cruise, Craig Nelson & Lea Thompson in 1983 while they were filming the movie "All the Right Moves" in Johnstown, Pa.
I met and dated the hair stylist and got to meet everyone who worked on the movie.

Last edited by Zoomie1955; 05-18-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

I met Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Orioles in the late 1970's while working as a salesperson at Montgomery Wards in Towson Maryland. I sold him a chainsaw, got to talk with him for sometime. He autographed one of my business cards, of which I still have today. He was and still is a wonderful, down to earth professional. A true icon of baseball.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Red,

I'll give you another reason to post.

His name is Lou Alcindor and he came from NYC. Aren't those guys big. They are amazing.

I also met Wilt Chamberlain in JFK airport. He was so big that he was sitting on the rail of the baggage carousel and he was still taller than most people standing up. Amazing, and he was a nice man as well.

Keep going Red, only a few more posts needed, Good Luck!
I played basketball against Lew Alcindor in high school,they won.My college roommate , fraternity brother,and best friend is one of the wealthest men in america and has introduced me to more celebrities than i can count.My girlfriend and partner for the past 15 years has a beautiful and talented daughter(that's a real sweetheart)is an actress that has already won two emmy awards. All the celebrities i've met with her, in New York and Hollywood, and with my best friend traveling throughout this country, and on millionaire's row at the Kentucky Derby are numerous.Now for the bottomline,the best, most genuine people i've ever met live in TV.I continue to shake my head at the obsession this country has with celebrities.If you really got to know most of these people, it would be a HUGE disappointment.All your heroes should be your parents,grandparents, other family members and friends.My hero is my grandmother who came to this country with nothing during the Great Depression and raised 4 terrific children, one being the love of my life,my mother.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.